Fanciful rings in orders of magnitude

Fall calls for bolder rings- and they're more comfortable to wear when the days cool. Here's a wish list with various price points.

Sevan is one of my favourite jewel-lust designers. Istanbul-based, he maintains a tiny atelier where he experiments with engraving, intaglio carving, micro-mosaics and uniquely-cut gems to produce jaw-dropping pieces.

This MM ring from Barney's web site is one of his mid-range pieces ($9, 800). 24k gold and sterling, with a 7.6 ct aquamarine center stone and .53 carats of diamond accents.

For quieter luxury, I'd choose this eBay listing by Hampton Estate Buyers for a timeless Georg Jensen 18k ring, at $675 (Buy It Now price) a terrific deal. Sadly, the size (5 1/4 US) is way too small for my finger, temptation averted.


Finally, reality and one son's tuition prevailing, I scratched my ring itch by ordering this Cale ring from etsy seller thebeside, $65 in 18k gold plate; also available in silver. I was charmed by Bernice's etsy copy, "Goes great with a pint of Guinness" and the proportions of the classic design.

She's shipping my ring from Brooklyn tomorrow, and I know exactly where I'm going for a pint, my local, Murphy's Law.

Comments

materfamilias said…
Oooh, I need a ring to wear while I sip my Guinness! You're always so inspiring on jewelry and this post lives up to my expectations. I'm off to browse some of those websites, even tho' I'm not generally a ring-wearer.
Anonymous said…
Well I must admit if I have one weakness it is for important (aka cocktail) rings. I certainly need to wear one to feel properly dressed! It was a colleague of mine who pointed out to me that every ring I wear seems to have a story behind it.

You are absolutely right about autumn calling for the return to wearing rings. I can't wear them in summer as my fingers swell and in the depths of winter I need to wear gloves, so autumn and spring are the only chances to enjoy them.

I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that in Edwardian times gloves were made with a wider finger on the left hand to accommodate a ring. My gloves would need a bag on the third finger however as I tend to go for rather large ones!
Duchesse said…
GP: Oh yes, the glove problem. I mostly wear cashmere knit gloves because they flex over rings and I can stuff them in my pocket easily.

ma: the etsy designer thebeside also has a necklace I admire- the Nico.
Anonymous said…
I love the rings--will check out the one you've ordered...

My mother always says to enjoy my rings now, before my hands become arthritic...
Anjela's Day said…
Lovely ring/s. I really like the site as I have 'discovered' several new designers on etsy for my store ....who are not yet swept up into main stream.
Great idea in your comment on the cashmere gloves!
Anonymous said…
karen's comment reminds me of a line in Breakfast at Tiffanys (the book not the film) where Holly Golightly says she could not possibly wear diamond rings until she is over 40, as they look so good on a rather gnarled old hand!

I don't know if I read this at a very tender easily influenced age, but I tend to agree with her. I did not have an engagement ring when I got married at the age of 28, only a rather elaborately carved gold band. This has given me an excuse over the years to build up my cocktail ring collection and the older I get and the more wrinkled my hands grow, the bigger the rings I am collecting.

I love the idea of cashmere gloves and will try it out for myself although nothing looks as good as a pair of smart leather gloves.

You see how useful your blog is duchesse. All these little snips of information we pass around the world to eachother!
Anonymous said…
And another thought - one justification I make to myself when purchasing yet another ring is that I see them very much as investing in art as they are all either made for me to my own design or bought at craft fairs. I know that every ring I have is a one-off piece.
Duchesse said…
Amjela: Hope you hve checked The Be Side because my Cale ring came today and it's a lavish and intriguing piece for $65. The gold plate is rich and I think will age to that mellow patina.

The posts with the most