The French Tuck: Tiresome trend?

Is there anything more forlorn in the fashion firmament than a stale trend? I had to wait about ten minutes for my intense dislike of the cold shoulder top to be rendered moot. Fashion has forever been hitched to temporal twitches; except for ethereal design (McQueen comes to mind), "last season's" is never a positive adjective.

But, like fruit flies around bananas, one trend will not be shooed away: the French tuck, a way of wearing a sweater or shirt. The term is credited to stylist Tan France, who said he saw the effect over twenty years ago in a runway show and coined the term "because it felt cute". Let's look at tuck types.

Bold Tuck

A good swath of front is slipped inside the waistband; the rest hangs loose and low. In a bulky sweater, thick folds form at the side; when seated, the wearer sports knitted love handles.

Navel or Mini Tuck

This is a subtler tuck; the front caught inside the waistband for a few inches, the rest sitting outside. It's low-key and will, like the popped collar, be eternally adopted by some, but to keep the mini-tuck precisely positioned requires vigilance, and a long mirror in the Ladies. 

Half Tuck

This is the pointless, posey tuck. Fashion sites still call the half tuck "chic", "wow!", "street style", and say it "elevates your game". 


This version has seeped into middle school, years built for experimentation. However, as a grown woman, I felt silly when I tried it at home. It signals mindless compliance. Remember the few months when some grownups tried to wear a jacket half on and off?  


On the springtime streets, men without Tan France's eye seem to have forgotten the knack. Stylist Tom Murray writes about the man-tuck: "The worst part of the French tuck, though, is the lie that it stands for. It embodies a faux nonchalance that says: 'Oh, is my shirt not tucked in properly? I didn't even notice.' But you did notice. You noticed when you tucked it in that way, and there's something mildly pathetic about putting more effort into making it look like you've made no effort."

On women, the freshness has faded. I retain my initial impression: they look like they were interrupted while dressing. Said to define the waist, I don't think the effect excels. If a trim midsection is an asset, isn't a shirt worn with a chic belt, as Helen Mirren does here, enough?

I've had a few emails saying, "Hey! That contest (the "Springing into Joy" 15th Anniversary one) had an impossible skill-testing question!" Challenging, sure, but not impossible; the acronym was used as recently as January, 2023 in the "From Misstep to Muse"post, and a half-dozen posts before that.

In the Passage, WWJD stands for What Would Jane Do? Jane Birkin personifies unaffected ease, so hasn't been French tucking. Currently facing health issues, she is not often in the public eye, but remains an inspiration.


Tucks are trivial—and yet, we are told to stay current, and it's all in the details.

When we look at old photos of ourselves, in our teased hair or teetering platforms, we might ask, Who got me into this? Did the customs of the time please me? What might I do now, when stylists or writers advise me to style a piece of clothing in a particular way? 

Do what you like—I'm leaving the fiddly folds to dinner napkins.

 

Comments

Laura J said…
I laughed out loud at this post (LOL) as I’ve been trying to do this tuck off and on but it always seemed a bit silly and actually made my midsection look messy & large! just walk on by….
Mary said…
Agree. The idea of drawing any attention to my (almost non-existent) waist induces full body shivers in me, so the half(baked), oh so (not) casual fashion tucks are definitely not a trend I care for or follow.
LauraH said…
Agree with you and Mr Murray. Spending time trying to look super casual is mildly ridiculous. Love the photo of Helen Mirren, wish I had half her style instincts.
Eve said…
LOL ! I so, so, so agree with you ! all those "semi-tucks" look sloppy on almost everyone. Oh, I tried them all at one time, but they make my hips (otherwise proportionate) look really wide. Even my trim young relatives do not wear them !
Ms. Liz said…
I am not a fan of the so called French Tuck. When I have tried it and take a moment and look at myself in the mirror at my side view - well the tuck makes my middle very "pouchy" indeed. I have abandoned making any effort to make this tuck work!
Duchesse said…
All: Five nays so far, maybe this is a youth-oriented thing, like wearing sneakers and no visible socks in the middle of a (Montréal) winter?
Jane in London said…
Right! I shall speak up in defence of the French tuck! I think it really depends entirely on the person and the clothes.

I am a woman with a long torso and relatively short legs, and I like a fairly loose-fitting top. Belts of any kind are not my friend, and simply serve to exaggerate the problem.

The French tuck enables me to create the visual illusion of a more shapely waist in the right place, and also gives the high-low hem shape that I like.

I was encouraged, when in Paris a few weeks ago, to see that the French tuck was still very much in evidence on stylish ladies of a certain age. I think that, when done with confidence and care, it can work very well.

But you're absolutely right about one thing: the 'half tuck' is an abomination... ;)
Paris Cafe said…
Totally agree. If you have a lower belly or apron or whatever the current name for it is, the tuck just exaggerates it. The half tuck looks like one couldn’t be bothered getting dressed. So pleased to read I am not alone with my dislike of this current trend.
Ocd said…
This trend is a NO way for me. It never fails to make me think people rushed out of a bathroom.
I do remember a woman in her 20’s encouraging a teenage me to half tuck so I didn’t “look pregnant.” Preferred the pregnant look to just rushed out of the loo even then.
Duchesse said…
Jane in London: This is the most-enduring tuck and I see it here too but nothing like 3-4 years ago.

Paris Café: I think there are some trends created for the sheer pleasure of seeing if they take hold.

Ocd: Ah the dread of looking pregnant—and you only a teenager. I might have been been tempted to reply, "But I am pregnant only I am not sure who in that band is the father!" and watched her face.
Anonymous said…
Duchesse speaks the truth, hurrah.
Tucks are so sad. I am immensely relieved to hear someone voice a rational opinion on this trend.
It just looks silly!
And definitely falls in the category of trying-too-hard.
Allison said…
Totally agree with anonymous @12:19. The French tuck is clearly still a thang amongst bloggers of a certain age. No matter how well executed it does not look ‘slimming’ nor does it flatter from a side view. As a short/wide I tried and just looked sloppy or, as previously mentioned, as if I had just made a hasty retreat from the lady’s. I saw one blogger do this with a tunic top which looked ridiculous. Anything that purports to be ‘edgy’ but in reality is not should be given a wide berth..very wide pants, platform shoes, the aforementioned cold shoulder, frayed hems on jeans etc.
Glad you spoke up because the tuck has become ubiquitous…the kiss of death for any trend.
…and yes nobody does truly ‘effortless chic’ like Jane B. but her style probably wouldn’t fly with the tuckers. I hope her health improves.
Duchesse said…
Allison The French tuck is pretty benign, but platform soles are dangerous, at least on me. I almost fell straight down steep subway steps wearing platform sandals, only stopped by a lucky hand from a sturdy person next to me.
Abuse and spam are disgusting, but how does the Passage define advertising? Some of us may want to plug a garment of other product we love, but without any expectation of profit...

Glad that someone sturdy came along. There have been great improvements in métro accessibility, but still no elevator at the Beaubien station.
Duchesse said…
lagatta: I remove advertising-oriented comments nearly every day. They are easy to spot: the comment is a vague, irrelevant remark, e.g., "I like this blog, good info" and includes links to products or services. The products are mass-produced junk; the "services" are, for example,"We Buy Gold". Spam filters catch some—but far from all—of this time-wasting nuisance.

Regarding "some of us may want to plug a garment or other product we love": for the last fifteen years, I have published such recommendations, including yours. Readers have told me they enjoy this sharing, as do I.
Bunny said…
I love this post and take great comfort from all who think like I do. It looks ridiculous, sloppy and is just DONE. I never thought it was anywhere near stylish, just a silly blip on a fashion scene yearning for attention, no matter how poor the effort. I have seen women use the tuck, thinking they are quite fashionable, and look like they made that last deep reach into the ironing basket. I've seen others, who have told me it helps hide their new menopausal weight distribution and I want to say, "It really doesn't." It brings attention to it and makes it look worse. I could go on. The Tuck should go on...........out of town and into the desert, never to be seen or heard from again.

Thanks for a great post on a much overdue topic.

The posts with the most