A Penney earned

The bankruptcy of J. C. Penney brought memories; Penney's was part my youth as surely as the soda fountain. In my small town of 6, 000 on the shore of Lake Michigan, Penney's was where everyone went for sewing patterns, percale sheets, nylons, kids' clothes.

The store was just over a ten-minute walk from our house, on the same street. When I was a kid, the store manager would give my playmate Buddy and me the huge cardboard refrigerator boxes to transform into a fort, a farm, whatever we imagined.

Our town also had a remarkable collection of luxury boutiques to serve the wealthy families who had been summering there since the mid-1800s, but from Labour Day to Memorial Day, if you needed a pair of trousers, Penney's was your best bet. It was there that I bought my first pair of Levis, and my sister bought me my first bra.

They had layaway, and though I can't remember what I bought, I thought it was a terrific system, and still do: no bill to haunt you, and if you wanted to cancel the deal, they fully returned all payments,

Penney's was also my first "real job"; the day I turned 16, I wrote a simple math test and was hired on the spot, for Friday nights in the Intimates department. On my first shift, I sold a quilted robe to a shy man whose wife was recovering from surgery. He asked for "something nice to wear in the hospital", and I was dazzled by how good it felt to deliver service.

The floors were wood, there was no elevator between the three levels, and we sent the cash to accounting by pneumatic tube.

All of the town's old department or chain stores are gone now: Sears, Montgomery Wards, Woolworth's—there's a Walmart.

The luxury shops are gone from the downtown core, too, now tucked into resort condo enclaves. I toured those when back there several years ago, and found them selling pallid resortwear, overpriced costume jewellery and "beach cashmere", unremittingly pastel and gauzy.

Ed Behan's Tweed Shop ca. 1960

In each, stock was sparse; I remembered towers of stacked British cashmeres and rows of pearl-buttoned jackets at Ed Behan's Tweed Shop, and left weighted by wistful sadness.

Growing up there shaped my taste forever. I loved the meaty Scottish tweeds and rug-thick cashmere sold by family friends, pined for the impeccable black lace Norell cocktail dress in Saks' window, saved my pay for royal blue Pappagallos from a jewel-box of a shoe store.

The one thing Petoskey didn't provide for its well-heeled clientele was a lingerie boutique; every piece I owned until over 21 came from Penney's, where pale pink was considered exotic. Do you remember when women wore full slips? In the '60s, these were made in the USA by union labour.

Penney's also figures in another family's lore. My friend Beth's mother, Billie Cash, was J.C. Penney's niece. In 1937, her father asked her new beau, Ray, if he would drive Penney from Indianapolis to Detroit. (Why Penney, already a magnate, needed a lift is lost to time.) Ray was home briefly from university.

Ray accepted the chauffeur job, though it cut heavily into his time home. For the next seventy years, he always said, "I did it not for love of Penney, but for love of Cash."



Comments

Jay said…
Lovely ending anecdote. I do think when the dust settles there may be a place for 1 or 2 of the old department stores in a medium size town. One at each end of the mall just splits the business.
I forget the name, but in a book by Bill Bryson abouthis childhood in Des Moines he describes a department store. Sounded magical.
Kamchick said…
So interesting to remember....when I was a kid, we went across the border to Buffalo and shopped 'downtown' in major stores, Penney's included. It was magical to do this.

One of my university summer jobs was at Simpsons, Toronto, in the fabric department. I find it amazing now that they hired me, taught me to cut and sell fabric and that apparently I did a reasonable job. I remember that the full time staff were very good to me and that I loved handling, learning about and selling fabric. Retail skills are always valuable as life continues.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.
Barbara said…
Like you, I began work at age 16. For me, it was the Lingerie department at Gimbels. Everything was behind the counter in bins, no rifling through racks and racks of garments. Full slips, half slips, camisoles, etc. Everything made in the US with union labels.(And, it was a union job with benefits). I particularly remember Pucci undies at $4.50 - a fortune in those days!
Thanks for the memories.
Barbara
Duchesse said…
Jay: We'll see which stores Penneys keep open. Small towns increasingly have a Walmart or Costco.

Kamchick: You can probably still eyeball yardage and tell fibre by touch. Do you remember the Arcadian Court? Even in the '90s I brought visiting friends there for a ladies' lunch; they loved it. I think The Bay is in real trouble.
Duchesse said…
Barbara: Gimbels! A notch above Penney's and when the Manhattan flagship closed in the mid-'80s, several lower floors became a Penneys.
LmC said…
There is nothing today to compare with the magic of department stores in the 50's. Customer service was exceptional. Such beautiful memories of a time now gone.

My childhood was fraught with Chronic Rheumatic Fever. My mother, who made all our clothes, was a regular customer in the fabric department of Sears in Peterborough, Ontario. She must have mentioned my illness in passing when buying fabrics. Lo and behold, the manager of that department MAILED, from the store, a huge box of fabric scraps and odds and ends of notions, for me to while away the long hours in bed by hand-sewing doll clothes. It was a major moment in the life of a 10-year-old invalid. You can bet I sent a thank-you card!

I had recovered by my teens, in the 60's, and occasionally we would drive from Port Hope to Oshawa to have lunch at the Bo Peep Restaurant and shop at Eaton's in the Oshawa Mall. It was a big deal in those days. We dressed properly for the occasion.

Now Sears and Eaton's are no longer in business,people go shopping in their pajamas, and in many cases, the employees...if you can find one at all... just don't care about customer service. Sad.

Oh..and might I add that my experience with teen employees now leads me to believe most could not pass that math test...and could not make change without an electronic cash register.

Thanks for the memories!
LmC
Poppy B. said…
What a lovely post. 🥰
Mary said…
I grew up in London in the 1950s/early 60s with stores like John Lewis, Selfridges, Dickens and Jones, Liberty's and Marks and Spencers--so much variety of clothing and goods to be found. Returned to the US in my teens and was disappointed at the lack of choice where we lived. However, one of my part-time jobs in college was in the fashion department of Woodward and Lothrop (affectionately called Woodies--now gone--a modestly high end department store in and around WDC). Hard to imagine it today, but at that time they periodically had me wear clothing from the department while working--putting together outfits that even included new shoes from the store. A bit of working fashion show. Would tell customers about the clothing and help them put together outfits. It was great fun.
Duchesse said…
Mary: Good job for a young woman interested in fashion and exposed to the best of London's department stores. You reminded me that we got a healthy staff discount (I think it was 50%) and I usually wore a Penneys blouse when on the floor. I recall floor modelling at the big city department stores like Marshall Field in Chicago. It lent such an air of glamour.

LmC: Terrific story! That's so kind (and I am happy that you recovered fully.) Years ago, I read an essay by a Globe and Mail reader who lived in rural ON used to send a Christmas list to Sears' catalog dept, saying things like "warm pyjamas for a 10-year old boy small for his age", and "a dress nice enough to wear to a party for a 15 year old, no yellow". Somehow everything that came was perfect. This was the opposite result to Roch Carrier's classic, "The Hockey Sweater". (Original title, Un abominable feuille d'érable sur la glace".)
Venasque said…
I grew up in Toronto and a trip to Mr. Eaton or Mr. Simpson (as my mother called them) was a real treat. And lunch in the Arcadian Court where they served tiny croissants was heaven. She used to take my sister and me to Eaton's College Street Round Room at Easter where there was some kind of show and blue!! (as I remember) ice cream in the shape of a bunny. When one of my sisters was married, the night before the wedding (actually after hours), one of her gifts had not arrived from Mr. Eaton (in those days gifts were laid out for people to see, it was a home reception) and my mum phoned the store, gave them what for and lo and behold it arrived by private car within an hour and a half. I have to say I was really impressed, even then by the sheer power of mother. There's a picture of my eldest sister and one of the others and my mum on Yonge St all dressed up. As someone else said, you dressed to go downtown then. I still do, can't help myself.
Araminta said…
My first job between the end of high school and going up to university was in the fine lingerie department of Fenwicks in my home town of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. They were by far the most up-market of the city's department stores with a French Salon offering designer clothes. Still privately owned by a family from Northumberland, they have a branch store on Bond Street in London which is renowned for being very fashion forward. The lingerie I sold was beautiful, in silk and lace, and with brands from France, Italy and the US. I had no problem with selling slips and panties but was never fully trained in the personal fittings for bras. When it came to that I left things to my professional colleagues and simply acted as a gofer. As some of you have mentioned, there also was a 50% staff discount which, since I was just out of school uniform, helped me put together a wardrobe for when I went up to Cambridge at the end of that summer. The experience certainly made me value the work that goes into good retail service and it also helped me to develop an eye for style.
Duchesse said…
Venasque; Oh yes, the College Street Eatons with its art deco Round Room and private dining rooms... which eventually became the Carlu. Just a magical store. When I moved to TO (just after the store became College Park) I would be amused by seeing a steady flow of young persons going to juvenile court (in the building), shuffling up the polished brass-railed staircase, something Lady Eaton would not have been pleased to see. I remember that customary display of wedding gifts, too, which even as a pre-teen struck me as gauche.

Araminta: Early experience working in a good department store marks one for life, especially for the recognition of good service. And possibly for sumptuous lingerie ;)

Shelley said…
One of my early childhood memories is of Grandmother dressing her her suit, hat and gloves to drive downtown to visit John A. Brown's department store in Oklahoma City. I loved the smell of the wood floors and the sound of the pneumatic tube. Part of the ritual was also that Grandmother never remembered where she parked and we spent at least half an hour searching for her green Chevrolet with the wings at the back.
Duchesse said…
Shelley: If there's one thing those in the Passage remember, it's when shopping could be an "event", a special outing or a treat given by a mother or grandmother. I wonder if (aside from couture) that will ever return. Part of customer service was to create a cocoon of comfort, from the polished brass to the "ladies' lounge" to the restaurant with Cobb salad and chocolate mousse/ Days gone by.

The posts with the most