"Traveling" in scented seclusion

"I finally have time to do it", friends say: hang pictures, shine a pile of winter-weary shoes, make recipes they'd saved, draw. They speak of occasional treats: a bit of good chocolate, fresh pillowcases, a bouquet of flowers, if only from the supermarket. My treat is fragrance.

Now, I don't have to consider others' sensitivities as much, the whole city is 2m apart. I can wear something opulent at 7 a.m., or try one cologne in the morning and another by late afternoon. My lovely Susanfriend, Susan C., is doing the same.

After a few days of evening sillage in full sunlight, I realized that the lighter, more optimistic fragrances the most comforting. I want scents that transport me, too.

Who better to ask for that "trip" than Kay and Gwen, the goddesses of PerfumeNiche? They sent a list to share; click the link for the full description and to order a decant from them. (International shipping at very reasonable rates.)

"Morn to Dusk": "The Italian way to vanilla", tinged with citrus and white florals; light and airy with a quiet energy. The house is Eau d'Italie, who make many other sublime scents.

"Balenciaga Paris": A silk slip of violet-earthy-woody magic, chic and elegant, like the house. Light enough for day, but with enough presence to garner what-is-that-wonderful-fragrance compliments.

"Basil and Neroli": A Jo Malone fragrance that mixes the botanical notes of basil with the lemony-citrus neroli and vetiver for a "no-holds barred joyous scent". We could use that. I would not even care that on me, JM lasts ten minutes, I'm near the bottle to re-apply.

"Côte d'Amour": I almost did not mention this L'Artisan Parfumeur fragrance because it is (inexplicably) discontinued, but PerfumeNiche has it in a decant size. I have worn it for years; it is the seacoast of Brittany, salt and grasses and sun, rosemary and heather— I love it. It is also a natural fragrance

"Bana Banana" (L'Artisan Parfumeur): An exotic escape to an idyllic island resort. The banana note is round, ambery, green, not candied, and saunters along with pepper, nutmeg, violet, jasmine. Fruity, flirty and carefree.

"Haute Provence (Parfums de Nicolaï): True lavender—not the synthetic— fragrant, fresh, and bracing, backlit with bergamot, iris and cedar. This is not the drawer-sachet lavender, it's a woody floral that presents the beloved flower as the lead cello in a sparkling symphony.

"Hinoki": This is  my contribution. Hinoki t is about the inner journey; the fragrance was inspired by baths at Kyoto. I feel the calm of a spring morning in a soaking tub when I wear it. It's clean, dry, herbal, a classic Comme des Garçons creation that stays close to the skin.

I am devoted to the decants from PerfumeNiche; the 1ml size is just right for generous sampling or carrying in a bag. If you need guidance, Gwen and Kay are generous with their expertise; just ask.

Wouldn't a decant or two delight a friend whom you miss, or someone you're helping out?  

Comments

Laura J said…
Perfect timing for this post! Have been thinking of fragrances and scent a lot this week as a few warming days have released spring scents. I so enjoyed my previous order of decants that I am ready for another treat. Inhale.....
Jane in London said…
Oh, what a lovely selection of perfume ideas - thank you, Duchesse! I always wear perfume, irrespective of whether or not I expect to go anywhere or see anyone. It's an everyday pleasure for me.

I like the sound of Balenciaga Paris - the description sounds just up my street. I think I'll risk a small bottle without testing, as it's available reasonably-priced online.

I'm currently enjoying Roger & Gallet's Rose Imaginaire, which is light enough to wear when working in the garden or walking in Regent's Park (my go-to location for exercise these days). It's a quietly surprising scent - definitely not a conventional rose fragrance!

Jane in London
Leslie M said…
Thank you for this suggestion. The descriptions make it hard to choose. Might have to try several 🌸
Jane said…
I just recommended PerfumeNiche on another blog. Their blog is interesting reading and their decants reasonable little treats. I discovered them thanks to a previous post of yours. I fell in love with Les Colognes Neroli by Annick Goutal thanks to one of their decants. It reminds me of summer at the cottage in Northern Wisconsin. It is, unfortunately, discontinued. Is it safe to order an "old" bottle on Google? Do scents go bad?

My "finally had time to do it" - cleaned out and organized the kitchen cabinets. No more lids clattering out when I try to pull something out. Lily
Duchesse said…
Lily: I love this business; I also order decants in fragrances I usually wear as perfect for travel or carrying in purse. If buying a vintage bottle, check the condition (opened or not?) and buy from reputable perfume dealers or possibly collectors who offer it on the boards like those you find on Fragrantica. A lot has to do with how it was stored, so saying "x years" is simply not possible. But stored under ideal circumstances and still in original protective wrapping, several years would be fine.

The problem is a lot of vintage bottles were unboxed and stored in the light, which erodes them.

I have bought opened partial bottles in vintage stores when the price is right, and the quality has ranged from perfect to acceptable, but I only do that if the price is low enough that I don't take a big loss if it's off.

Jane in London: Ahhh, walking in Regent's Park now. What a pleasure.

The posts with the most