Hair: Self-snip

Though not a significant matter, my Zoom calls often begin with hair display.

Hairdressers immediately counselled clients not to cut or colour; Jonathan Van Ness said, "...because what you don't want to do is mess up your hair so bad that you're still growing that thing out after the quarantine.

But this is hair, not dialysis. I find stylist alarm sweetly possessive but extreme. If one is not going into an office, does a little drift in a self-trim sink the whole project? I thought of countless pros I'd had who had fixed another stylist's work, and twenty-something vloggers who only ever cut their own hair.

If you have absolutely straight hair cut in a precise geometric style, maybe for you the wide headband or barrettes, and long hair can wait out a few months. For the rest of us respect is due, but needs must.

In mid-March, just before the closures, I got a cut on the short side. In early April I ordered a pair of pro scissors and started watching YouTube videos for short layered cuts on curly hair, like this one.

On Saturday afternoon, I disobeyed every hairdresser's command. The delivery date for the new shears (May 16) felt a very long time away, but I had a decent, if duller pair and figured I'd try it while I could see the original style.

Here are three versions of the cut: At left, straight from the salon; centre, early Saturday morning (yes those are pyjamas) when I realized I'd better have a "before" shot.


At right is the Covid coif. Though stylists cut back to front, I cut the front first, building confidence. Le Duc held a mirror so I could see the back. That was so unnatural—working the mirror image— that if I had not already done the front I would have chickened out. But I had a stylist whom I'd long observed, and copied his technique, which is more like pruning than cutting exact layers.

Pretty decent; all that curl hides any minor wobbles. I do not hope to repeat this adventure, but bought time, and gave myself a big tip.

Two friends are doing bang trims (the wispy kind, not the sharp, straight fringe), but most have not waded in whole head—how about you?

If you colour

Colourists sang back up: don't you dare buy a box. But, really? Nearly every colourist I had for over 30 years had opened a box in the back room, and most women have at some point done their own. Excepting artful high-or-lowlights or other skill-intensive salon effects, a refresh is within reach. When the salons reopen, the baylage can come back.

If you can get enough coverage from a demi (aka semi) permanent colour that approximates your present one, use that.

Huguette has one of those four-tone jobs and is gutting it out. Laurie, who got her first look at what had been dyed for decades, decided to use three months away from the office to get a head start on going natural. Jude depends on a stash of her signature auburn. (I suggested she head toward natural colour; she is having none of it.) Susan is obeying her colourist, who is also a personal friend, but wavering more each day.

Endless celebrities are posting themselves coached through home colouring with their stylist on Zoom, applying root touch up or letting the "silver" roll in. I'm all for anything that makes us feel better during this difficult time.

Unreserved envy for my old colleague Deb, who married a hair stylist.







Comments

LauraH said…
Your self cut looks really good, congratulations. So confusing doing anything in the mirror. So far, I'm just letting my hair grow and am pleasantly surprised how much I enjoy the thicker look. Hadn't quite realized how much was being thinned out during my cuts. The front may get to be a problem but so far I'm able to more or less brush it to the side a bit.

Hope you enjoyed the tip:-)
Roberta said…
Last week I thought to myself that if I were hit by a car, the police would say, "homeless woman, early sixties, doesn't appear to have bathed for several days." My next brisk walk took me to the hair color aisle, and I dyed my hair this weekend. I've done it myself for years; it's only fairly recently that I felt I had the money to have a professional do it. And it looks fine. The haircut itself, well, I'm not going there. It's just kind of a mess.

Your comment about the friend who is married to a hairstylist made me wonder who I would like to be married to right now (I am single). A chef? A professional stylist? A personal trainer? A massage therapist?
Mary said…
My relatively short, fast-growing hair has not yet trimmed. 8 weeks since my last cut. Bangs are down to the middle of my nose when combed straight, but for the moment just sweeping them off to the side. Not stylish, but not horrid. Given another month or more without an appointment (likely) and hair scissors (already owned) are going to be used. Hair can be dried fairly straight even though I have some bend/curl. Nothing as lovely as your curls. Already a full head of silver so no worry about the colour.
Leslie M said…
Your hair looks great! You did a fabulous job and the before and after shots were a good idea. I haven’t cut my own hair yet, but any day... I cut my estranged husband’s hair on Saturday (I can’t believe he let me come near him with scissors!) It turned out okay, but we had to use a pair of mustache scissors. Like you, my hair shears ordered on-line won’t arrive for weeks. I went to 3 drug stores and there are no scissors to be found in Seattle. As far as color, I had requested about a year ago for my colorist to start adding silver highlights to my hair. It really helps to grow out the grey. Best decision ever, given current circumstances. Other than wanting a clear gloss to ‘shiny’ it up, I’m good. Thanks for this timely post.
fmcgmccllc said…
I started growing out my gray in January. Had highlights and such to make it look better. Now I have gray roots and yellow hair. So I ordered Overtone, a heavy duty toner that washes our. Now I have gray roots and yellow hair with a green section on the left hand side. Have not started cutting yet.
I don't really look homeless, but certainly "ageing hippie". Always have been a bit so, but my hair is far too long - I'd kept it semi-long, between chin and shoulder or so, but it is dragging me down so I just do a plait in the back. All I've cut are split ends. So far many people are still wearing some kind of hat; when the temps warm a bit more many will panic.

A minor problem compared to the death toll and the lack of care at many facilities, and certain politicians stirring up trouble.

I do have a good product to combat yellowing and bring out the dark and silver. So glad I no longer colour my hair other than that anti-yellowing product.
Laura J said…
Had decided to let hair just grow as the classic bob I had was higher maintenance than I generally have patience for. I was never good with my hair and can’t stand it in my face. Yours looks fantastic—the curls are very becoming.
Gauss said…
Your hair looks fabulous! The curls hide whatever unevenness might have happened. I'm growing mine out, with occasional cleanings (to avoid a mullet!), but I've just given my roommate their first "covid haircut." Whatever works, and whatever makes one feel a little better!
Venasque said…
I always trim my hair between appointments - my stylist says we cut my hair together, so I've been cutting it since the descent into hell. Hopefully I'll get back to the salon before I lose the style, but I have to say it's not looking too bad yet. My hair is coloured platinum so have not gone the do-it-yourself route, so now I have fashionable balayage. I had no idea my hair was still so dark, it's been years since I've seen my real colour.

I've cut my husband's hair too. Also not too bad.
Jane in London said…
It looks very good - nicely done. As I only have my hair cut a few times a year, I am used to trimming my own (thick) fringe so nothing new there. The rest of it will just have to wait!

It's already down to my shoulder blades at the back, so I'm twisting it up into a casual 'French pleat' most days.

I am grateful that I don't colour it - that would be a level of hassle too far! The person I miss most is my massage therapist, rather than my hairdresser.

I never have salon manicures or pedicures (I do that stuff myself) so I do not feel the lack of them. I know of one woman who is desperate because her eyelash extensions have now shed, leaving her with an odd moth-eaten effect which she has no means of remedying. As if things were not already grim enough...

Jane in London
Liz Rice-Sosne said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Francie Newcomb said…
How nicely you cut your hair! Good job. I, too, got "the works" in early March and the color is fading. Because I asked my stylist to give me an ashier tone-- knowing it would be a long time before my next appointment-- I think the color is growing out fairly gracefully. I agree with the commenter above who said she will have to cut her hair herself, eventually.

Fun post! Thanks and stay safe.
Jeannine said…
You did a fantastic job. Looks great. I let my hair go grey over 10 years ago. AND I have cut my own hair for over 20 years. It all started because I rarely found a hairdresser who cut my hair to my specifications - I always had to fix it. There has been about twice in my life that I've had someone who did a great job. I blame my hair - it's quite fine (yes, even going grey it's still fine) and while it has wave it tends to lie flat if it's either too short or too long.
Liz Rice-Sosne said…
The above comment was deleted because "curly" came onto the page as "ugly."


Ha! Looks fabulous - Curly hair always does - until, on my head, when it gets big. In other words when my hair gets to long, my husband says to me "you have big head" because it just grows wide. I cut my hair the other day for just that reason. But, it is quite difficult with my very unsharp scissors.
Duchesse said…
All: I enjoyed your tales! I'm not responding to each comment to give my recovering hand a break, but you made me laugh and nod my head, Yes!
Bunny said…
You did a terrific job so congratulations! My own hair is worn very short, is bone strait and grows faster than that of any human I know. It is looking horrid, truly horrid. It also grows way down my long neck. My sweet husband has been able to take care of the neck issue but it is so very nasty right now. I have taken to wearing hats and scarves a lot, even in the yard and around the house. I am doing a sip and Zoom tomorrow night with old friends and all I can think about is my hair. How shallow is that? I have worn it in a pixie cut for years and the rare times I grow it out and then go back to the pixie cut everyone tells me it is the only way I should wear my hair. I think it sort of goes with my petite-ness. Anyhoo, I can't cut my own pixie. Sigh..............
Duchesse said…
Bunny: A look at YouTube videos in which a number ow women cut their own pixies may interest you. ( The link I highlighted is what I followed but the example is not DIY.) Or there is always the sacrf tied into an extra-wide band, which hides practically everything. But your friends won't care, they will just want to see you.

The posts with the most