Rant: Women's work

People's equanimity is beginning to fray, including mine. But even when the world buzzed along as usual, I'd have taken notice of two recent events.


1. Patti Smith ignored for writing much of a classic rock song

My friend Beth, who knows I am a Patti Smith fan, sent a link to an article by Ed Simon, "A Close Reading of 'Because the Night'". I settled in expecting to read his analysis of the 40-year-old Patti-Bruce Springsteen collaboration and found that Simon said that Patti only sang a song Bruce gave her, which resulted in her only top 40 radio hit.

He goes on about the Bruceness of the lyrics, but Springsteen wrote only the chorus (and the music). In fact, Smith was given a cassette of the unfinished song by Bruce's producer Jimmy Iovine, and after ignoring it for some time, wrote the verses in one memorable evening.

Smith''s recollection of the writing the lyrics while anxiously waiting for her boyfriend (Fred Smith, who became her husband) to call, is here (and it is not an obscure story.) What is especially galling is that her spirit of collaboration, and her gratitude to Springsteen and her band shines forth from her 2018 account published in Billboard, on the song's 40th anniversary—and Simon is oblivious.

"One more case", I fumed to my friend, "of a woman receiving no credit for her work while the man is lauded."

Okay, one rock star or another, you might think, but when even as celebrated a writer and artist as Smith is treated this way... so help me.


2. Thirty-one thousand bank employees win a landmark case

After a decade, a group of employees at one of Canada's banks, CIBC, (we only have five in the country, so they are big) won a class-action suit for unpaid overtime.

I have long railed against this abuse, which typically hits those in clerical or service roles (so, disproportionally women); when I worked in corporate life I saw it often. Financial services and tech jobs are mostly non-union jobs, ripe for this kind of exploitation. The managers who are responsible absolutely knew the labour laws they were violating.

I also knew HR executives who fought this abuse. One of my former colleagues at a global financial services institution says her obliteration of this practice was the prime achievement of her career. She had to fight like a samurai, manager by manager, to get them to stop.

This is one day I am thrilled to live to see. There may be an appeal, and notice that the suit took a decade for a verdict, but this slimy practice has been outed. The ruling will reverberate through the business world.





Comments

LauraH said…
So dispiriting to read about that Patti Smith article. But great news on the class action front. I think that link may be broken though so I will search it out, a definite must-read.
Duchesse said…
LauraH: Thanks, I subsitituted another link. The HZR exec I mentined was my colleague at our former mutual organization.
Laura J said…
Happens a lot in the STEM fields as well, judging from things I have come across.
materfamilias said…
I love this about your blog -- this kind of well-informed, passionate, and truly engaging, relevant content. Thank you! (My sister-in-law interrupted her science degree to support her husband's CA studies, working as a clerk in a bank to do so. A smart young woman, she quickly noticed the gender disparities and she began organizing the tellers toward unionization. When she began doing some radio interviews, my in-laws became concerned about the damage she might be doing to their son's future career. . . Nope, she didn't pursue the important project much longer, and no, she never did go back and finish that degree. . . She became very good at whipping up a meal for whomever He needed to invite over for dinner to further his career, though. . . . And she did get to travel and live abroad, adjusting to one ex-pat community after another over the decades. . . .
Your HR exec deserves all the applause! (and so does Patti!!)
Laura J, Rosalind Franklin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosalind_Franklin
Duchesse said…
Laura J: I worked in a huge global tech company for ten years and saw what women went through, the hazing, exclusion and sexual harassment. Both males and female employees worked extremely long hours and that seemed self-inflicted much of the time, a kind of badge. But now that I think back— managers knew and never did a thing about those hours. One young man said to me, "They pay for your dinner and snacks and then one day you realize you have sold them an extra five hours of your time for $25."

materfamilias: What a story. I hope your SIL has few regrets but at same time we sure need women like that in the workplace. The HR executive was honoured by the YWCA as one of their annual Women of Distinction, and, in her 80s now, is still a remarkable, staight-shooting woman.
I worked for a labour confederation for about the same time, probably more, and of course working very long hours was a badge of honour in defence of the working class (I worked at the communications department, of course). This led to all kinds of personal problems - there was a fellow addicted to alcohol, cocaine and speed (at the least) who was writing copy about promoting women's rights in the public sector negotiations and at the same time making death threats against his estranged wife. Her brother, a gentle kind man who remains a dear friend, had to play the macho against arsehole spouse.

But even for those of us who weren't remotely jerks, working extremely long hours was a badge of honour. It has improved since, but not all toxic workplaces were corporate.
Duchesse said…
lagatta: The bank’s employers were not putting in that overtime voluntarily as a «  badge of honour » or any other self or peer-generated reason. They were directed to do it by their managers.

Unpaid overtime is a violation of federal labour law no matter what the sector or its purpose.
I know that - I am simply telling the story of my workplace long ago. Fortunately it has improved. But the self or peer-generated stuff remains a problem in the gig economy.

The posts with the most