Gems: Pink garnets for cherry blossom time

When I worked for a  team of gem dealers, one particular stone stole my heart, a raspberry-coloured, cushion cut rhodolite garnet. Though a quarter the price of the rubies next to it, it glowed and winked at me until a jeweller pounced on it. Often mistaken for pink or rubellite tourmaline or pink sapphire, rhodolite garnet is a canny choice for a luscious gem if you like those hues.

Its rich raspberry allure is different from the deep, blood-red pyrope garnet associated with Victorian jewellery. Rhodolites are never colour-treated, and have fewer inclusions than other garnet varieties.

The name comes from the pink rhododendron flower of North Carolina, where it was first found in the late 1800s. You will often find them simply called pink garments.  Modern rhodolites are mined in many other locales, from Madagascar and Mozambique to Brazil and even Norway.

As always, when shopping for coloured stones, research delicious examples and hold that standard in mind, even if your budget is smaller. These garnets may have purple tones but there is no orange nor brown. A fine rhodolite is lively as a piquant rose lipstick, and due to a high refractive index, has brilliant lustre.

The high end
Disa Allsopp rhodolite garnet ring set in 18k gold; price, $7, 932. This is the literal gold standard, a big 10mm x 13mm cushion-cut stunner. 

That splurge filed for comparison, let's hunt some rhodos. As with any of the coloured gemstones, even the big-deal ones, it's smarter to get a smaller top-notch stone than an average bigger one, and a piece made with care and artistry. Even the simplest studs can be well or sloppily set.


Bygone charm
An Edwardian pin that carries over a century of history, along with three 4.5 x 6.5mm rhodolite garnets and three seed pearls, set in 9k gold; hallmarked. Here you can see the purple undertones sometimes found in this garnet. From Etsy seller MyAntoniaJewelry; price, $CDN 548. I like these bar pins on a shirt collar or lapel.


Solid gold pendant


An 8mm x 6mm pear-shaped garnet and 2mm rose-cut diamond pendant in a 24k gold setting, from Israeli jeweller geffenjewelry. Price, about $US 415; chain sold separately.


Relaxed real and interesting

If you prefer silver, Jane Diaz makes  small everyday button earrings set with small pink garnets; I like the traditional Victorian starburst motif. Price, $US 65 at Sundance. (Shown enlarged.)




The soundalike stone


Rhodocrosite
A last pointer: Some confuse rhodolite with rhodocrosite. The latter mineral is usually opaque, pink to peach, and often banded. At only 3.5-4 on the Mohs scale (it's a calcite), a little softer than apatite, so you have to be careful with it in jewellery.


A frugal finale, for once!



I could show some splashy diamond and rhodolite cocktail ring but somehow I'm not in the mood. I really like this vintage John Hardy Palu Macan Lava silver dome ring, because it shows how wonderfully rhodolites combine with smokey topaz for "a dark pink cherry blossom colourway". Price on First Dibs, $US 650.


Ah, cherry blossoms, spring, clear skies.



Comments

Laura J said…
Love garnets! Red! Green and pink!! Lovely post. Off to search the web!
Jay said…
pink garments:)
Ellen said…
Garnets have always been my "go to", followed closely by citrine. So glad you posted this!
LauraH said…
Garnets are my birthstone but I've never paid much attention to them, they always looked so dark and gloomy. You've opened my eyes to lovely possibilities!
Duchesse said…
LauraH: There are many varieties of garnet, and colours; here is a very brief summary with good photos: https://www.gia.edu/garnet-quality-factor


My favourites are the rhodolites and demantoids. And the mandarin orange. And tsavorites...
Leslie M said…
Another lovely rabbit hole in my future, I predict. I’m putting this aside due to a work deadline, but I do like the ring from 1st Dibs. It reminds me of rings that I always saw my Mom wear in the 70s and 80s, though the ring shown is new. Mom’s birthstone was topaz, so I can easily see this on her hand. I can see the gold standard on mine (lottery permitting). I loved the concept of cocktail rings and other extravagances when I was a girl. I don’t see that anymore, at least not in my town. Even if I could afford, would I have to coordinate with my face mask?
Jen Lawrence said…
Garnet is my birth stone. Those are gorgeous examples!
LauraH, these are the darker garnets, but I think these drop earrings are anything but gloomy in this setting:

https://pilaragueci.com/collections/earrings/products/drop-garnet-rhea-earrings

But I do love the rosy ones.
Duchesse said…
lagatta: The earrings you linked to are not only a different garnet variety, but also a cabochon cut. Any coloured gem will look quite different when cut without facets; there is no sparkle but you do get a depth of colour. Rhodolites can be cut in cabs too, but these look to me like pyrope garnets though it is hard to tell from photo.

Some people adore the Victorian effect of wine-dark garnets, maybe at some point I'll feature those.

The posts with the most