"Hiking": What to carry

Years ago, I took a 5-day group hike in the Sierra Madres. The night before our start, each hiker packed her gear in her one permitted backpack. Then our guide, David, made everyone unpack and spread the contents on the floor. Each hiker had tucked one or more comfort objects among the socks and shorts: cigarettes, fragrance, chocolate, a tiny photo, Tiger Balm. Someone had pills I doubt were licit because they had Tinkerbelle on them.

"These are your habits and compulsions", he told us, "Leave them here. I want you to be completely without what you think 'gets you through'." Mine was, no surprise, a bracelet.

I think of that hike—which I both loved and hated—now, on a different kind of journey with millions of others. What do I need to 'get me through'?

A daily walk is my anchor. The essentials for that now that we're into the rainy season:


Left: A breathable, hooded rain jacket (Löle) with good pockets. Various colours.
Top right: A light, washable silk scarf in spring hues, from PappuMama
Centre right: Mosiso water-repellant daypack with padded strap, big enough to hold a foldable umbrella
Bottom right: Bogs "Sweet Pea" rain boots

Not for walking, but stashed in the house: a Go Bag, in case one of us faces a long wait in a testing facility or hospital. I learned how important a packed bag is shortly before the pandemic, when pain landed me in an ER on a Saturday evening, the worst possible time. All eventually went well, but I wish I'd been better equipped when, at 11 p.m.. the vending machines were broken, the cafeteria closed, and 17 persons were scheduled ahead of me.

We aren't living out of a backpack now. The goodies that David deemed superfluous are morale-boosters, and this is a long slog—we are allowed.


Left: Pearl and bead necklace from Kojima's "Wear Some Joy" series; these make me smile and are ideal with casual wear.
Centre: Cuticle oil comforts Purell-parched hands. I received a gift of Dr. Haushka's; a massage-type oil like sweet almond or grapeseed is effective too.
Right: A friend is making me a mask, but these resuable cotton prints are just so adorable. By Katrin Leblond; sold in packs of four, with one donated for every one sold.

So on we trudge. I miss seeing my family and communing in person with friends. Le Duc needs bike repair, and will be in line at his shop, but at least they're open. I cast a wary eye on the washing machine, rattling from deep inside. "Not now", I tell it. "Just keep chugging."

Comments

I find David's attitude very ... male. Many people facing far harder slogs, such as war refugees, have carried tiny mementos to help them get through their ordeal. In season, mine is an authentic Basque béret, owned by the friend who died about a year ago and given by his widow (it was too large for her).

Now the Lolë Piper comes in sizes from XXS to XXL. I found the XL a bit too close in the chest. The XXL will be large, but this is also useful for very cool rainy weather (UK, Netherlands etc) with a warm jacket underneath.

More important by far, my bicycle mechanic is also opening, and declaring his shop an essential service. Going there tomorrow, and will also doubtless face a queue.
Roberta said…
I'd love to know what is in your GO bag. My elderly mother lives with me, and I could have used one of these when she had to go to the ER one evening last year. Would you tell us what is in yours?

I agree that your trail guide had a touch of hubris. :-)
Carol in VT said…
lagatta's comment about refugees reminded me of a story told to a group of us by a brilliant educational researcher. His family escaped from Nazi Germany and it was common for escapees to sew money into their clothing. He then told us how his father also hid a set of watercolor paints and a brush in his clothing knowing how much his son, the researcher, loved art. He was the most gentle of souls and I consider meeting with him one of the highlights of my life. Carol in VT
Duchesse said…
Roberta: Calories... energy bars and sealed bags of nuts. A pair of clean underwear, eye mask, a light shawl more for privacy than warmth. A notebook and pen, phone charger. List of any rx meds currently used. May not be ok for everyone but I also take tylenol and advil for pain; I inform staff if I have taken. Toothpaste and brush, breath mints, hand cream, lip gloss, tissues. A photocopy of my health card and drivers license in case I am separated from my ID. Several meaty magazines ar a book, reading for hours on a phone is no fun when sick.

lagatta and Carol: a mountain hike requires the absolute minimum weight, because what feels light grows heavy in altitude and no shade. David was an intense man, and also had dealt with inexperienced hikers, which we were.
LauraH said…
For me it's chocolate for sure:-)

I copied your Go Bag list to help me put one together, great idea.

BTW I hope everyone who is queuing for whatever reason is observing physical distancing, so important and so hard to do. All our instincts have been turned upside down.
LauraH said…
P.S. Just ordered the Katrin Leblond masks as a birthday gift for a friend. Hope they will bring a little cheer.
Leslie M said…
I have an earthquake drybag at the ready, but never thought about a Go Bag. This sounds like an age appropriate thing to have, so I guess I can do this in my spare time. Luckily, or not, I currently have plenty of spare time. Love the scarf/wrap idea. (You are a wonderful resource in so many ways.) Please don’t be offended, but will probably not include a bracelet. I am still chuckling about that. What we consider important at various stages of our life should be researched. It would be a delightful read.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura, I dropped by Katrin Leblond's shop on my way to a more practical destination (Portuguese shop with good frozen fish) and just seeing all the colours (including some for those of us who are a bit goth or boho) really cheered me up.
Duchesse said…
Leslie M: There have been books, museum installations and blog posts on the theme, but right now I have no time to point you to them... they're out there, though. I think there was also a fashion mag feature about what various fashionable women carried in their bags. My Go Bag is a washable poly satchel, because ERs are nowhere to carry a good bag.

The posts with the most