Spring bags: Bring forth the light!

"Carry a seasonal bag": classic advice, and if you are in the Passage, you may have changed your bag material of choice, as I have. Leather is luxurious but heavy, if I am going to tote it all day.

In today's windows, spring/summer bags that are not leather. 

Nylon 

Initially introduced as 'travel purses', this durable material has graduated to more colour and detail.


Left: MZ Wallace Downtown Crosby Crossbody (about $US 325), comes with three straps: a chic chain, a detachable leather shoulder strap, and a webbed-nylon strap. In a luscious rose-gold metallic, this one definitely does not say "tourist".

Centre: High Way bags' hallmark is the sophisticated palette (high-quality nylon, dyed in Japan). The "Teela" is a medium-sized bag; price $US 130. The all-nylon models are washable (in a mesh bag). I wash one that has no leather trim in the machine, in a mesh bag, on delicate. Huge fan of these—but they are on the sporty side.

Right: The roomy Everywhere Bag in sand, is from Away, the people who make those enviable suitcases. (It is also available in leather). It has wide strap (not shown) for use as a shoulder bag, and will hold a laptop or bulkier items like your shoes and a sweater. I'd love a nice carryall like this; many times, I need to carry more than the basics, and my canvas totes get ratty. Price, about $US 225/ $CDN 295.

Polyurethane, aka 'vegan leather'

'Vegan leather' is polyurethane bonded to a fabric backing. The higher-end looks good, though they do not wear as well at those crucial lower corners as a ballistic-weight nylon. However, there are times when a near-leather looks best, and these come in piquant spring and summer colours.


Matt and Nat's "Annex" backpack converts to a shoulder/crossbody with a detachable webbing strap; I've seen it and it's pretty! Price, $US 150; this "Liquid" is a beautiful and versatile blue.

Apricot is another good spring/summer colour, and it's hard to find. Pixie Mood's "Avery" bag combines two textures, has useful exterior pockets, and is a reasonable $US 85/$CDN 105.

At the higher end, Jack Gomme's coated-linen "Levant" tote with "vegetable leather" handles, the red lipstick of summer bags; price, $295.

Vinyl

Vinyl wipes clean so is always ready for fun. Problem is many look like beach bags, but this one rises above.


Ted Baker's small Wilderness shopper tote makes neutrals bloom. Not many women would choose such an assertive print on the entire body, but carried, isn't it cheeky? Price, $US 65; also made in a large size.

Shoulder your scarf!

You have a favourite outfit, but no bag that really works with it. Why not tie up a scarf, if you only need to hold a few things? This example from Hermès will make a small bag (smaller than the photo) from a 35-inch carré, or a larger size bag if you use a bigger square.


I showed mine in a 2014 post, along with a waist bag style. I would not carry it all day; it has no closure. (I put one of those small nylon stuff-sack bags in it for shape and security.) It's not meant for serious gear, but to hold a phone and keys when you go to a friend's for dinner, why not?






Comments

I'm still happy with my crossbody "Healthy Back Bag" in a sleek nylon material. Bought myself a bright red one for the Year's End holidays. For shopping I have a green Patagonia bag, a gift from a friend who didn't use hers. I presume that can go in the washing machine? I do also have cotton canvas totes if I need more groceries than the Patagonia can hold. Think they look fine at the Jean-Talon market, their main destination.

I've stopped carrying leather bags, for a variety of reasons, but will still wear leather shoes.

Hope all are coping with the strange new shopping errands measures...
Jane in London said…
Yes!!! I love nylon bags: modern-looking and practical. I've got Le Pliage Neo bags in black and gunmetal grey, which have detachable cross-body straps and lovely chunky silver hardware.

I've also got a large dark red nylon hobo bag by Lipault, which matches my Lipault suitcase and allows me to be a bit matchy-matchy at the airport without looking as though I'm channelling Joan Collins.

Jane in London
Duchesse said…
lagatta: If I had known, I would have included a few capacious backpacks!

Jane in London: Lipault make beautiful nylon bags; the Neo is not only current but not knocked off like the plain nylon Longchamps styles.

Abigail said…
When I click on your highlighted "2014 post", Your current account (xxxx@xxx) does not have access to view this page.
Click here to logout and change accounts.
I have no idea what kind of account I am supposed to have.
Duchesse said…
Abagail: When I test the link, it works. I can’t diagnose the problem now, sorry. But the 2014 post contains no other information about making a bag from a scarf. It just shows me with mine.
Jane in London said…
Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I also have a fab black nylon messenger/satchel bag that I bought from Lancaster Paris. It's from the mens' section, which I find often yields good nylon bags with straps that are long and wide enough for my taste.

It's pretty much bomb-proof in terms of being hard-wearing, holds loads without looking too bulky and again has great, chunky silver hardware.

Have you discovered Lancaster bags? I have to buy them online unless I go to Paris, as they have no shops in the UK. Their coated Ikon range offers an alternative for those who fancy a geometric design but baulk at Goyard prices (or are just sick of seeing so many Goyards around).

Jane in London
Duchesse said…
Jane in London: I have admired Lancaster bags when shopping in Paris and a black nylon never lets one down. (However my heart belongs to the unusual almost-colours of Highway.) My avoidance of Goyard is the price, given what they are— over $1,000 for resin-coated linen—and the knockoffs are everywhere.
Bunny said…
I love bags. I make bags. Over the past couple years I have found, however, that I have transitioned to smaller cross body bags, some with more interesting shapes and most much less obvious. It could be a regional vibe that I am picking up from the more youthful among us but I see few of the lower digit ages carrying traditional bags, even professionals like my daughters. For them bags are functional, unobtrusive, and maybe a touch cute or artsy, but not much. This is the Greater Boston area. While these smaller bags are freeing to carry, I do have curate their contents carefully. I enjoy using them now and rarely use my collection of lovely larger bags now. Are you seeing this trend in you region at all?
Duchesse said…
Bunny: Now that you mention it, I see a lot of those crossbodies and also backpacks (the sleek, minimalist ones like those by Matt and Nat ) that will hold a laptop or iPad, because so many commute by bike or transit. A woman carrying a structured, short-handled bag in the daytime is either over 50 or en route to a wedding, for example.

The posts with the most