At our house, a big bowl of mussels is an instant party. Here's Le Duc's simple, expandable recipe, which Karen requested.
Moules au Pernod
2 bags of fresh mussels (about 1.5 lbs per bag)
4 cloves of garlic
1 small fennel bulb
2 medium carrots
1/3 to ½ bottle white wine
2 ounces Pernod
2 ounces 35% cream
1 Tbs herbes de Provence (rosemary/thyme/oregano)
1) Pulse onion and garlic in food processor until fine. Empty into large stainless cooking pot.
2) Repeat with fennel and then carrots.
3) Add wine, Pernod, cream and herbs. Mix well.
4) Bring to a boil for a few minutes. Add mussels, mix and cover.
5) Cook 5-7 minutes.
6) Shake or mix again and pour in large serving dish.
Serve with bread, butter, good potato chips, a green salad, and rosé. Serves 4-5.