Hairbands: Time to leave behind

Before I began Passage des perles, I'd search for lists of things women thought it was time to give up after 50.

I'm interested in the decisions we make, the moments when we realize it's time to let go of one era and embrace (or at least put up with) the next.


Like the tipsy uncle at an engagement party, some things linger
longer than they should.

Of course it's a matter of taste, and maybe regionally influenced. My #1 pick to deep-six well before 50 is the hairband, in any material. It's too jeune fille, too piano class. A friend wore one to dinner recently, and though she is a delight in every way, I kept wanting to offer her a booster seat.

I enjoy scarves in the hair, especially if you're in a convertible. Banana clips, most barettes, plastic-coated bobby pins, no.

Antique ebony carved hair ornaments, yes.

Photo of hair ornament: Mikimoto

Comments

Anonymous said…
But...but...but...I need my wide stretchy headband when I do yoga! And you will have to pry my giant hair clip from my cold dead hands. It's the only thing that holds my fine hair up. I understand they are considered standard hair-wear in Paris.
I a in my early 40's and I still have a few. I don't wear them often because they give me a headache.
Like Anony, I could not workout without the wide stretchy headband. I hope to find a replacement by the time I am 50.
Anjela's Day said…
yes agreed- throw them out- I think a nice scarf by Pucci is a good alternative.... and when you are at it pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee ask women who are 50 and above to not, not, not wear the following, unless they want to add at least 20 years- You cannot wear the following without looking old......
Fanny packs (not sure who wears them but foreigners especially in Europe) Ugly!!!
Strings that attach to glasses(spectacles) the worst thing ever invented unless one wants to look like an old lady (or man)
Grrrrr that had such an impact on me as I detest the things and so many people wear them and ask me to stock them. No thank you!! Maybe most people think I should stop wearing my Hunters...
Duchesse said…
I'm not talking about stretchy headbands for exercise, I mean those plastic, tortoiseshell, or especially velvet rigid ones.

Just because you can buy something in Paris (or anywhere) does that make it chic?

And how do we feel about tiaras :)?
Anonymous said…
Sorry; I refuse to wear anything that a casual observer could say to themselves, "Oh yes, she picked that up at CVS(or Riteaid or Boots or whatever)." Just..no.
Anonymous said…
Well, I think it's a matter of youth forgiving all mistakes. Good bone structure must be the secret to looking good in this accessory at any age, but the plumpness of youth does help.

I remember my mother had one in the 1960s with a hair piece attached. After spending a day on the beach she would brush back her real hair and don the hairband with along with attached groomed hair. She was always ready before my father!

The posts with the most