Crafts: On the mend, two ways

Hey, look at this! When I saw this man locking his bike outside a thrift store, I spontaneously shot him from the back. Then I realized I better explain myself; it was the jeans that drew my eye:

Jeans Guy shows his chops

Jeans Guy said he's been doing this kind of mending for years. He had also screen-printed some of the patches on the jeans and his messenger bag. I noticed the care he had taken, removing the pockets to patch the seat, then detailing the pockets and using sashiko stitches to re-apply those. 

At a thrift, I found a pink jeans jacket and, encouraged by his work, now want to do something with it. Here's the before version:

"What will she do with me?"

I thought that with some pointers, I could try sashiko and maybe some boro. Jenny Lennick's "Jenny Lemons" blog has just what I was looking for, a beginner sashiko on a jeans jacket tutorial. Her own jacket is in progress too; she plans to completely cover it:

Photo courtesy Jenny Lennick, on Jenny Lemons

I tend be dazzled by projects that take more advanced skills than mine, so I'll start with a simple motif on a small section, like the pocket flaps. But I have time. I'm recuperating from a meniscal tear that curtails my long daily walks, and hand-sewing doesn't stress the wonky joint.

To break the mending ice, I darned Le Duc's well-worn navy and pink marinière and sewed a VW bus patch over a hole; it has become his favourite:

Le Duc's "Magic Bus"

But, whoo hoo, there are some stunning embroidered jean jackets and tops out there! Reading the makers' posts gave me a list of supplies I'll need: an embroidery hoop, thread, and stencils for the more detailed sashiko patterns. (Free patterns here.) Yep, hobbies equal stuff.

I looked at traditional sashiko and boro, classic embroidery stitches, and merrily mixed techniques:

Clockwise from top left:

Leslie Fehling's mandala-embroidered jacket. Classic stitchery, and one focal image.
Marina Tophika's embroidered blouse reminds me to just go for it, once I have a few sections done.
Emily Vanleemput's sashiko and embroidery jacket; her succinct step by step tutorial is on Autodesk Tutorials.

The knee is going to take time to rehabilitate; stitching is a pleasing reward for completing the daily physio exercises. It's worthwhile to keep the worn but treasured bits going as long as we can, whether denim or knee joints!

Comments

Beth said…
Just be forewarned -- embroidering on denim is hard! I once tried to do something similar, and I have good embroidery skills, but I got discouraged and sore after a while. Maybe your denim is well-worn and pretty soft -- I hope so! If not, you might also invest in a thimble.
Duchesse said…
Beth: Back in the day I embroidered many jeans, and even sewed on leather trims (using an awl on the leathers). I "borrowed" my mother's sliver thimble and still have it. I see there is a "palm thimble" I might need too. Also I have to decide on the style of embroidery. Not sure how the soft sashiko thread wears on high-use areas, but whatever I do will be by hand.
Laura J said…
Love visible mending and the creativity it can unleash!,,
Jane in London said…
Oh, this all looks clever, satisfying and a whole lot of fun! How enjoyable to plan the 'glow up' for your jacket and then experiment with ideas and techniques. And I *love* Le Duc's customised Breton tee, too (and smiled at the subtle Who reference).
Allison said…
My condolences on the knee. I am recuperating from a meniscus root repair done three weeks ago. On crutches and non weight bearing for three more weeks, many dates with a physiotherapist and a robo cop like brace to be worn when I start walking…all this from stepping over a large dog about a year ago. A torn meniscus that doesn’t heal can lead to arthritis that might require a total knee repair so take your time healing as it can take months. My repair was to avoid the full knee job..
I found a pair of ‘daisy Duke’ cut off jean shorts in a drawer while doing some pre operative death cleaning. Embroidered by seventeen year old me in an array of motifs..my star sign ( Virgo) a bird, many small daisies and flowers of undetermined pedigree. What struck me was how good my stitches were, the many colours I had used and how (if I could persuade my sixty eight year old bottom to fit into them, hard no) they would be eminently wearable at Osheaga or any festival this summer. With an embroidered peasant top and flat sandals of course!!
LauraH said…
What a perfect way to keep yourself inspired and busy during your recuperation. You'll be able to look back on the accomplishment rather than the physical limitations. Can't wait to see what you create!

The posts with the most