Celebrate 15 years with the "Springing into Joy" contest!

March marks the 15th anniversary of the Passage's opening; let's celebrate 1, 500 posts, and uncountable— but just as important—comments with a fragrance draw. Thank you, honeybunches!

There is a natural lift built into spring, a surging, optimistic mood. Gwen of perfumeniche and I are treating three winners to five1ml decants of spring-delight fragrances. Florals, as you'd expect, but also some surprises, just like the season here.

The "Springing into Joy" Decants (1ml)


Angels of Florence (Santa Maria Novella) is a cologne of tender beauty, as Gwen says, "light and ethereal", with notes of jasmine,  lilac, bergamot, gardenia. Created to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the flood of the Arno in 1966 and the "angel volunteers" who arrived from all over the world to help.

34 boul. St. Germain (Diptyque) opens with cassis, moves into cardamom, cinnamon and clove, and drops to soft, woody iris. The scent is informally chic, like the flagship Diptyque boutique at that address.

Mon numéro 6 (L'Artisan Parfumeur) is a limited-edition scent that takes us to Asia, where spring monsoons release aromatic lychee, mango, magnolia flowers and the woody notes of sandalwood and amber, alongside aquatic notes of rain falling on earth.

Eau de Céleri (Monsillage) does not suggest celery; it unfurls notes of bergamot, lemon, grapefruit and cut grass. This fresh, bright beauty by Montréal parfumeur Isabelle Michaud has gained such a following that few question the name.

Roses: there have to be roses! La fille de Berlin (Serge Lutens) presents a sumptuous rose. I imagine a woman in Berlin, wrapped in her thoughts, a caramel-coulored jacket, and this scent, while she strolls past squares and then stops at a bookstore. Deep, rich rose, with notes of violets, pepper, musk.  


How to enter:
Qualifying entries will be chosen by a draw, executed by my dapper neighbour Bob, who has come to relish his role.

1. Send an email to gwen@perfumeniche.com with the header "Springing" by 12 midnight EST, March 28, 2023

2. In the body of the e-mail, answer the skill-testing question, "To Duchesse, what does WWJD stand for?"

3. Sign the email with your name, e.g., Suzanne G., or username., e.g., "gingercat"

Qualifying entries will be selected by one draw per prize; three prizes will be awarded. 
Duchesse will announce the winners in Passage's April 4, 2023 post.
Winners may then contact Gwen with a postal address. (The value of the prize will not require winners to pay any tax or duty.) Offer void where prohibited by law.

I have more to say about the differences fifteen years have brought, and that's the next post! And, if you  are not among the winners, or simply want more of these bosky beauties (what a terrific gift!) Gwen will offer the decants as a "Springing into Joy" pack on perfumeniche.













In March 2008, partly as respite from the uncertainty and bleakness of a financial crisis, I sat down to write what I wanted to read, and could only rarely find online.

The shutters swung open with two now-familiar posts: one on Indian shawls, the next, on pearls. I worked then, had red hair, and was a size or two larger and an inch taller than now. Fifteen years later, I'm retired, grey-haired, and still besotted with pearls and textiles.

Your support has kept me going, and by "support" I don't mean "agreement". There are so many Eileen Fisher admirers out there that I should still watch my back. OK, I'll give it to you on EF's quality and sustainability, but a dolman sleeve flatters no one.

What hath fifteen years wrought, style-wise? 

Bad news:

1.  Despite interest in circular production, we are making ever more polyesterrecycled polyester is not the surefire alternative. Companies that once made pure-fibre clothing now sneak in acrylic and even more evilly, describe that blend as "supersoft yarn", with no mention of the content until you search.

2. Quality has eroded; therefore, clothes don't last as long. One industry analyst says the impetus was that 2008 financial crisis, when brands were drowning in unsold inventory. This report by Emily Demkes on "The Correspondent" includes studies that prove it (shades of Home Ec class, 1966!). I'd love to see more product testing made public, a kind of "Cook's Illustrated" for clothes.

3. Inflation has crept in and prices will not revert. Even designer brands price goods knowing they will discount them by around 30% within a few months. The highly-saturated luxury segment, which cannot discount without denting their reputation for exclusivity, has raised prices more than the tier under it. 

Good news: 

1. More democratization: there is no longer one aspirational look. We have everything on tap: dark academia, coastal grandma, grown-woman skater. We can flit among eras and styles via endless sites— what one article called "The Big Flat Now". Sometimes, though, this vast choice breeds decision fatigue.

2. The resale market continues to gain traction, and the attitude toward buying secondhand turned around for good. Online rental, that evil spawn of layaway and secondhand, was born in the mid '00s and stuck around.

3. Consumer awareness of the true cost of clothing grew, especially that of fast fashion. The bigger picture—the role of possessions in one's life—gained prominence; we met Marie Kondo. Though anecdotal, by 2021 nearly every woman I knew well enough to glimpse her closet had cut back.

In that spirit, a few 15th Anniversary things in the window today; let's look before we have a coffee together and catch up. Not a coincidence that these echo the things I wanted to share when the Passage opened fifteen years ago!

A two-sided silk kantha scarf, from Etsy seller VastraIndia. The ochre and blue is a vibrant spring combination, the weight of these make them excellent transitional pieces, and they are hand-washable. Price, $CDN 71. (Price to ship seems high—$42— it is probably by air.)

A cool floating Tahitian pearl ring: a gray Tahitian 'floats' on a silver band. simple and dramatic piece. Made by Marc Goundard, whose studio is in his catamaran, docked part of the year in California. He has made pieces for Kojima Company as well as his own designs. Isn't it wonderful to see these Tahitians in an entirely hand-made setting instead of plunked into manufactured blanks? Price, $CDN 362. If it is s/o, consider a commission.

Meltingly tempting, and ready for years and years of wear: Aethel Crucial Cardigan in "Primrose", for spring. Let us pause before the details: the deeply-ribbed hem and cuffs, the wink of cabling at the side, the horn buttons. Made of Loro Piana yarn, knitted and finished in London. Price, £315. 



 





 


Comments

Patricia said…
Fifteen years - congratulations Duchesse! I don't think I've been reading since the very beginning, but pretty darn close to it. In 2008 I turned 48, coming out of the years when my kids were small and I was looking to pep up my style. I had always admired French style (I'm Scottish born) and that's probably how I came across your blog. Your content has always resonated with me, especially now as I get older and want to age gracefully, so thank you!
Laura J said…
🎉🎉🎉🎉for an always interesting informative and thoughtful/thought provoking blog.
Jane in London said…
Happy anniversary to the Passage, and hat tip to Duchesse for providing consistently excellent material over the long haul. Not easy- but greatly appreciated!

How much has changed over those years, you're right. The thing I mourn the most is the diminishing quality of items made by what used to be absolutely dependable brands.

Oh my, I'd not encountered Aethel before. I don't wear cardigans (never right on me) but The Short Sleeve looks rather wonderful, with a similar level of pleasing detail. And it comes in pillar box red (sighs...)
Duchesse said…
Patricia: In 2008 you might have been one of about six persons! Thank you warmly for stopping by all these years.

Laura J: And thanks to you for your comments and ideas.

Jane in London: Aethel is divine—and you can stop by the shop. (I would be in trouble.)
Anonymous said…
Bon Anniversaire! I'm a new blog reader and I enjoy all that you write about. Thank you for introducing me to etsy seller Mark and his beautiful pearl ring. Have a lovely week.
mimi
LauraH said…
Happy Anniversary! Trying to remember when I started reading, most be at least 12 years, maybe more. Much enjoyment, inspiration, information. As always, your generosity, energy and expertise are very much appreciated.
Jay said…
Congratulations!
I can't remember when I started reading your blog, but since I've read all the archives it feels like I've been there from the beginning .
I admire your 'voice' and humour and have learnt so much from the topics you choose to cover.

Here's to many more 🎉😊
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary! I've been reading on and off over the years, through home schooling children, caring for aging/dying parents, dealing with my husband's health concerns. So thankful for the Canadian content, especially mail order/online items since I live in the back of beyond in western Canada; thank goodness for Poshmark Canada and being able to buy vintage with reasonable shipping prices. Thank you, Duchesse, and best wishes to you and the Passage for the future!

Johanna
Tom said…
I was reading almost from the beginning. i started my (former) blog in 2008 also, partly at the urging of my children's friends, who wanted to learn how to be frugal. I was in financial terror--we were under a governor--Jindal--who vowed "no new taxes." Since only hospitals and higher education are unprotected budget categories, we endured 16 budget cuts in 8 years. Still feeling the consequences, both personally and institutionally. The reason for my terror--my institution started cutting tenured positions.

Anyway, I got sidetracked from frugality and started reading the women over 50 blogs. You are for me the 'last survivor" (reference to Beowulf!) of those days, when I felt there was a community of women exploring aesthetics and other things and not just shopping.

A while back, I wanted to restart my blog and found I could no longer get in. It seems I forgot a crucial step or password.

Changes? Still frugal for fun but trying to figure out what post-frugality feels like.
My little town of 8000 or so must be filled with generous over-shoppers--in 2008 I was able to get about 50% of clothing secondhand for me and my family. Now I'm up to at least 80%. An embarrassment of riches, in several senses.

Still trying to declutter...

This is long enough. In 2008 I was blown away by your magnificent writing and discerning sensibility. Still true.

PS Oops! Missed deadline for your contest. e
Duchesse said…
eva: Oh, the thought of you reviving your blog makes me happy. There may be a way to recover it or at very least start anew, with a link to the old one. (That's super easy. Frugal Offspring might help?)

My take on post-frugality is reflected in my focus on value investing, which is why Mr Buffett sometimes strolls through the Passage. I want a decade from a serious purchase like an EB cashmere. (Given my age, 10 yrs will do—but I have many 20+ yrs old and still look fine.)

The Beowulf reference is sobering; as I recall the Last Survivor is a sad man, all friends and allies gone, left to do nothing but guard a treasure. Talk about attachment to stuff ;)

80% secondhand, wow, and I'll bet it's good quality, too. Lately I have been unable to find as much whole- fibre clothing; the younger crowd are buying in huge quantities to resell on Depop etc. (I hear them chatting).



Beth said…
Duchesse, heartfelt congratulations on your 15 years of blogging, and gratitude for the enjoyment I've received form so many of your posts over that time! We haven't known each other quite that long, but I will always be grateful to our blogs for bringing us together -- and for showing me the joys of perfume! (Coincidence: Monsillage used to be located in my old studio building, but I never visited the atelier because I wasn't into it at the time -- a regret!)
Leslie M said…
Congratulations on the impressive anniversary of the Passage. You bring a lot to this blog and are often the highlight, the smile or thoughtful regard of my week. You provide a great service to this community of women; aging gracefully, aging unevenly, maneuvering life, in general. I wasn't reading when it began, but once I found this blog I caught up on the past posts very quickly, gleaning as much as I could from your wise words and inspirations. But, what brought the most interest and wonder were, and are, the pearls. You, and they, sparked a fascination that had not previously existed. Looking forward to many more posts about anything that suits your fancy.
Allison said…
Congratulations on your 15th anniversary! Also thank you for providing so many thoughtful, interesting, insightful and compassionate posts that have gone over and above the usual ‘what I wore today’ dreck that is so much a part of too many woman of a certain age blogs. I started reading your blog a few years ago after following a link to your site from a blogger who commented on your love of pearls..I clicked and I remain a fan but it wasn’t the pearls that kept me…
At the time my family was undergoing a terrible situation. For some unknown reason our adult son had decided to cut himself off from us with no reason given it was a painful time for all of us. You wrote a post addressing adult children separating themselves from their parents often with no reason given. To me the discussion was a blessing, reading the comments and realizing that we were not alone was a sort of balm to my soul…at that time we felt very much alone, the foundations of our family were cracking badly and we were unsure how or when we would heal. We have since reconciled and ‘are stronger in the broken places’, stronger than before. Lessons learned on both sides.
So thank you for writing on that subject and many others that are often ‘pearls’ in disguise.
Always room for the cashmere, bijoux and perfume though, because pleasure is also part of life.
Duchesse said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duchesse said…
Allison: You are definitely not alone, and in turn your experience of the repair to your family will offer hope to others going through this. Of the situations I wrote about in 2020, Anita has had a longed-for reconciliation with Steph, and cites a a valuable resource (see below) for supporting her through this. Meg's situation is up/down with her daughter; Marcelle's son died from a heart attack. Trudy's son continues to maintain his estrangement.

All: Anita told me that over the last few months, after years of distance, her child had initiated contact and things are going well, slowly. She mentioned the Ontario-based Sashbear Foundation's "Family Connections" program as an invaluable resource. This is a free 12-week course offered throughout Canada, either online or in person. It is for anyone in a relationship (family or friends) with emotion dysregulation.

The post Allison cites is here:
https://passagedesperles.blogspot.com/2020/10/when-child-choses-estrangement.html

The posts with the most