Pearls and ponds

Suzanne and Zoe bought identical pearl pendants. When I asked about the pearl, Suzanne said, "It has spots of gold on it!" I said, "Oh, you found a pondslime pearl!". She said, "No, it is freshwater." We are both right. The pearl variety is Chinese freshwater, the shape is baroque, and the pearls has an additional rare characteristic

The name of that effect, coined many years ago by the virtuoso pearl dealer Fuji Voll (PacificPearls US), is admittedly singular: "pondslime". It makes me think of a snapping turtle wearing her new necklace. The surface of the pearl shows areas of greeny-gold, bronze and fawn; the colours occur naturally and are stable. 

The look is far more chic than the name! (Why not just "pond pearls"?) Once practically given away, pearl farmers now realize women have taken to the rich play of colours, so now they are priced at the same level as quality freshwaters. 

So let's get our pond on: the freshwater pearl on which this effect sits will be China freshwater or Japan Kasumi; the rare Japan Kasumis are more expensive. The base pearl should be lustrous; the pearl may have a rippled surface, like this Kojima bracelet of Japan Kasumis, or it can be smooth.


On a deeper-coloured pearl, the pond effect joins the base colour more subtly; on a blush pearl like the Kasumi just left of centre in the photo, it looks as if the pearl were dipped in gold leaf. The rest is is subjective; see whether you like the distribution of colour and the overall effect. 

In the window, pond pearls four ways:


Clockwise from top left:

1. An 18in. necklace of pebble-shaped keshi on white thread, with an orbit clasp, so you can easily slip on a pendant or charm. The pearls are around 12mm x10.5mm, and what presence that overlay of iridescent gold adds! Price, US $270 from Kojima Pearl.

2. A stacked keshi strand; here you see the tones shimmer on a 16in. (minus clasp) strand. I wear a similar rope (at least 17 years old), a delight. Price, $US 450 from PacificPearls US.

3. An 18in. strand of big (13mm-17mm) fireball baroques with stunning purple and rose overtones, and bronzy pond effects. Price, $US 360, also from PacificPearls US. This is a lavish pearl pop for the price.

4. A 12mm loose (drilled) Japan Kasumi pearl, a feast of colour, with overtones of bronze, pink, purple, apricot, blue, green—depending on the position and light. From the reputable and expert Ebay seller Carolyn Ehret, Druzy Design; price, $US 139. You can see some of the pond effect on the closeup. 

The finale is something fabulous, and such a deal!  This pearl is an ethereal example: rich, uniformly-evident colour on a ultra-lustrous coin pearl. The price is $US 45 for a lavish 34mm x 24mm undrilled piece (they will do it for you, and you can trust the Kojima team to know where that should be!) A fascinating pendant—or if you have pearls that need a zhuzh, you've found it!

And Kojima fans already know there is an alluring sale on now!

When I wear that keshi rope, women unaccustomed to pearls see its mauve, bronze and purple flashes, and ask, "What are those?" The girlfriend of a friend's son, though, said, "Ah, freshwater keshi with that amazing pondslime!" 

I was at least as pleased that a woman not yet thirty knew her pearls as I was to receive her compliment!

Comments

Vancouver Barbara said…
I learned something new today. But couldn't we call it Pond Gold instead. I find the pearls so beautiful and the Pond Slime name so repellant that I don't know I could wear pearls with that name despite their incredible beauty.
Duchesse said…
Vancouver Barbara: That would work if the effect was always gold, but it's not. Maybe we should have a contest, with Mr Voll as the judge! I just call mine "pond pearls". I have also seen them called "algae-affected", scarcely better.
Laura J said…
As usual I learned more about pearls! These are fabulous!
Vancouver Barbara said…
Pond Pearls sounds very nice -- a rather magical name. With that name, I would definitely wear them.
Leslie M said…
I see more of an oil-slick pattern on the pearls. Pond-slick, to honor the original name, or Oil-slick pearls?
Dream-slick pearls? Dreamsicle or dreamslicle pearls. (overthinking it, yes)
Beautiful, by any other name.
Duchesse said…
Leslie M: The "oil slick" term is already applied to pearls with pronounced overtones, like the best peacock Tahitians, where the base colour is dark and then on top of that base, the combination colourful overtones float like an oil slick. Pond-algae affected pearls show their effect as patches, a defined area. The 'dreamsicle/dreamslicle' terms you coined are so fanciful and appealing!
Leslie M said…
That's interesting - I've never heard of oil slick pearls, but an internet search shows beautiful color and luster on those. Don't bother looking at 'Patchy' for inspiration. Lacerated, irregular, faded, holey, dilapidated. Scruffy is my favorite. Describes my brain some days, but not the Pond pearls.
Mardel said…
Beautiful pearls, as usual. I think I am moved to pipe up simply because I like the term "pondslime", I think it fits the pearls, and yes adds to the beauty, even in its unappealing overtures. Pond slime is itself beautiful even if I do not like to stick my bare feet in it. The colors do glow the way patches of pond slime can glow. "Oil slick" as applied to pearls is new to me and a name I find somehow less appealing. But for me that is perhaps because of its industrial overtures, and I grew up with ponds and pond slime.
Duchesse said…
LeslieM: "Oil slick" is simply a descriptor of a characteristic, as is "pondslime", it is not a pearl variety. Marketers use it to describe the intense overtones on the best peacock Tahitians and the colour play on circlé Tahitians, but also it's applied to some obviously dyed freshwater pearls, too. I saw someone trying to sell an enormous strand of patchy and pitted pearls by calling them "natural pearls", as if the low quality were a selling point—and in a hip boutique in Paris!

Mardel: Thanks for the endorsement, it never bothered me either, but at the same time I've had a number of women tell me they are put off by it.

The posts with the most