On the street: Black and colour

A walk on last Thursday, the first day of our red-zone restrictions, captured the bifurcated nature of Montreal on October 1: an irrepressible sprit colliding with a sombre reckoning—because some of us did not, apparently, get this message:


This could be read two ways: Even though we are apart again (most Montréalers cannot receive even one visitor, indoors or out, for 28 days beginning October 1), we are united in spirit—or as, Think of others: a shortfall of cooperation is what earned us this period of serious restriction.

Still, windows displayed a merry mix of colour and audacity. Some standouts, snapped on Boul. St-Laurent::

Top: Editions de robe make smart dresses in vivid colours and interesting prints, and will cut existing patterns to fit for custom orders. One of my favourite places to window-shop, and next time I need a really good dress, I'll shop there for real.

Lower left: A tiger amid blooms that reminds me of Kendo's signature tigers, but is not.

Lower centre: I liked the black and white stripes mixed with forest green and tomato red.

Far right: Fuzzy turquoise balls strung with frankly plastic beads for a cheery necklace. Uplifting jewellery need not be precious.

But in real life, plenty of black, even on this crisp, sunny morning. 

Two coffees to go 

Left: She hurries to work. At first glance this reads as monochromatic, till you notice the magenta socks and the white detail on her boots. I also like the barrel leg on the jeans, and my comrades in crossbodies will note hers. 

Right: She was lined up for her takeout, and willingly posed. A hoodie seems to be Garment of the Year! The only colour is a touch in her headband, and the hot pink logo on her mask.

Montréal is a deeply social city, with a street life more European than North American, and until our sub-Arctic winters send us indoors, we gather reflexively. Losing that at the beginning of October, when we still have honeyed days when we could meet friends in a park, feels sad indeed. But retail shops are still allowed to open, and there is some camaraderie in simply standing in line at a bakery. Not without a mask, though!

At Boulangerie Guillaume 


Comments

LauraH said…
Commiserations on your red zone restrictions. Very frustrating to have sacrifices go for naught due to covidiot behaviour. We may be headed the same way here, which is painful to think about. All the more reason to get out and enjoy our beautiful fall.
Venasque said…
I wanted to yell that at a woman who passed me today. I was walking through the underground and she was walking towards me with her mask under her chin - had put it on to get into the building (required) and then just thought she'd have her little moment of rebellion, cause she's obviously special. She was just daring me to say something, so I didn't disappoint. But I wanted to add you and ignorant people like you are the reason we've had to cancel Thanksgiving and if we go on like this, Christmas as well. Makes me nuts.
Duchesse said…
LauraH: As I see it we have not choice but to maintain our precautions, it is not a case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." The lates was a group of - 6 older men shoulder to shoulder, smoking with masks dangling from their ears nd talking forcefully.

Venasque: So we'lll be nuts together! I've been saying, "Please protect me" when people get close to me without a mask. Because to me, that's the heart of the matter.
Venasque said…
I also meant to say I adore those barrel shaped trousers/jeans.
Lovely garments, but Éditions de robes is too ladylike for me, and I'd have nowhere to wear them. If I have the money, I'll spring for a colourful skirt from Katrin Leblond. Easier to pack and as dressed-up as I'd need at events here or afar.

I like those barrel-shaped jeans, but only on women much taller than me; they'd only make me look stumpy. And as a cyclist, I need jeans more fitted at the hem.

I have the pleasant problem of having lost quite a lot of weight, but think this is mostly from acute anxiety due to Covid and resulting isolation - and loss of work; yes, I have a bit of a pension now, but still need to work, economically and intellectually. Except for the new-buys, all my jeans are falling down.

Indeed the colours in your photos are lovely and so typical of hereabouts. Sadly, we have a friend who has become a denier, and actually taken part in the Covidiot demo here. :( He is an intelligent, educated person.
Duchesse said…
lagatta: Even if masks are not 100% effective, even if distancing works even better if we are more than 2m, apart, can't we take a few simple measures to at least decrease the infection rate? How onerous are these measures, really, for 90% of adults? Today, with the loss of a friend's cousin to Covid, is not a good time for me to consider this person's possible reasons.
Surely you don't think that I or any of our other friends sympathise with him? He is either nuts or just being deliberately obnoxious. It is very sad. I'm not speaking with him right now.

Actually, I do find the measures rather onerous - being alone except for shopping, not even our lovely local library, and extremely depressing - but far less than dying gasping for air or killing vulnerable people.
Duchesse said…
lagatta: Seems clear you do not sympathize.

Persons who live alone are permitted one visitor in their residences:
Source (among others): https://globalnews.ca/news/7368414/quebec-coronavirus-red-zones-guide/

Of course it depends on whether you and your visitor are willing to do that.
Gretchen said…
One of the first things I noticed as I scrolled through this post was the smiling eyes of the woman in the leggings. Even in this time of great stress and uncertainty, that she smiled at you from behind her mask is the most enjoyable thing I’ve seen today. How wonderful you connected, if only for a moment, and she allowed us to connect with her as well.
Wendy said…
I find myself choosing only the brightest colored t-shirts from my closet each morning, in an effort to keep my spirits up. I try not to think about the dreary weather, election drama, and winter holidays (without the grandkids) that are right around the corner. Winters have always brought the threat of depression and this winter will be a lot more difficult. I’m so sorry you’re having to suffer through these new restrictions, especially in the beautiful autumn.
Laura J said…
Here in Atlantic Canada we seem so far to be managing with few cases. There are those who ignore rules but some, I feel, do it because we have such a low case count. The snowbirds, of which we have many, are quite grumpy. We’re fortunate in that our immediate group of people we come into contact with are both sensible and considerate so mask and distance as needed. Winter will bring isolation for sure however as we are moved indoors
Putri Adiratnaa said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

The posts with the most