Buy and Hold: Slippers and almost-shoes

There are but two headlines in fashion now: the fight for retail brick and mortar survival (including the precarity of brands that fill those shops) and the sister issue of how what we wear in 2020 changed faster than you can flip a pancake.

Photo: Intervalle.com  

A local boutique that I pass often had, until April, windows full of sexy stiletto-heeled boots, which I would admire as if they were Amazonian parrots: spectacular but not quite of this world. In the real world, I still wear jewellery, but proper shoes—you know, those things with some kind of heel—seem to have vanished.

From now on, is it house slippers all the way down? If so, I want the solidly snuggly kind,

Serious slippers, Canadian winter variety

If you voted yes, you'll be looking for house slippers that do not make you look like swiped them from the nail salon—something substantial and snuggly.  I have a few biases: no clogs or backless styles (too cold), and at least spot-cleanable if not washable. 


Top left: A no-pile slipper is an alternative if a fuzzy one is just going to become a foot-powered Swifffer. Raab Down Slippers, made with ripstop-fabric outers on an EVA sole—warm, light, comfortable, and fine in the washer and dryer. They're light and squash up to pack, so ideal for a plane, if you get on one anytime soon. Price, $CDN 80; at Altitude Sports and other outdoor suppliers, in unisex sizes.

Top right: I like the minimalist  Cocoon Slippers, from Celtic Company. Made entirely of ivory sheepskin on a soft leather sole, machine washable with specialty wool-friendly soap. Price, $CA135.

Bottom: Everyone knows about the renowned LL Bean Wicked Good line (no longer USA-made), but here's a sheepskin slipper handmade in Vermont. This is the Women's Short Cuffed Slipper by Shepherd's Flock.  If you are willing to give them time, you can send an outline of your feet to have them made for you, a blessing for differently-sized or shaped feet. Price, from $US 66; available with a crepe-sole option. Order now, the busy season means they will need a month to make them.

Below: Garneau sheepskin slippers should get their own Order of Canada. Note that all sheepskin linings will eventually wear down to a flattened footbed that look like felt, but those clouds around the ankle stay lofty.  I have worn both Garneau and Bean; Garneau is prettier—and they're made here. Shown, Lazybones Slipper in "Lazer"; price $CDN 110 for suede sole, $28 more for an EVA sole.



Almost shoes: sleek hybrids

This category, perched between slips and street shoes, is a sweet spot: not as plush as a thick-piled  wool, but they can handle a brief hop to the next-door neighbour's.  


Top left: A ballerina with detail (pleats!), and leather upper and insole. I'm not sure if the rubber sole would leave those black marks but I find them more polished than only-slippers. Price, $CDN 99, from Mango.

Top right: Topaz of Norway Teddy Elkskin Slippers deliver Garboesque, retro elegance; I see myself writing a letter with a fountain pen, while wearing an Indian jamavar shawl. Price, €99.

Bottom: The Allbirds Tree Breezer, made from renewable materials (the fabric is a eucalyptus derivative) is odor-resistant and washable. (Remove the insoles, wash in a lingerie bag.) A big plus is its palette—colour-soaked even on the soles! Shown in (s/o) Elephant Grass. Price, $CDN 135. 


The Velvet Revolution: Slippers as art objects

The finale in the Passage always aims for fabulousness. My old friends Vicky and Patrick possessed it aplenty in their Crockett & Jones velvet slippers. They have been on my Someday Shoe List ever since I saw them wearing theirs. Shown, "Poppies"; price £330. Please pass the port.


Laura J and other needlepointies, might you be interested in making your own? Kits and instructions for the uppers are on the official blog of Needlepaint.com. They will even make a custom design! You then send your pieces to one of several makers who turn them into slippers (sources given on this site), and Bob's your uncle.




 






 

Comments

materfamilias said…
I have to say that ever since a post of yours brought Glerup slippers into my life and my closet, I may not need slippers for at least five years. . . and these are already over five years old. They don't look anything like shabby yet and are still warm and comfortable -- and with their leather sole and ankle-boot look, I've been known to wear them on a quick reconnoiter of the garden or even down to the beach(our old place) or, here, on a run downstairs and outside to empty the compost bucket or, once, across the street to drop shoes off at the cobbler's.
Honestly, I'm getting slightly impatient with their sensible grey longevity, especially since I've just peeked at their website and, oh my, they also come in some delicious colours!
LauraH said…
Wow, those velvet beauties! Slippers are important in my life, floor level can get awfully chilly in winter. From experience, Garneaus are very very long wearing as well as colourful and cosy. I love that I can fold the ankle flap up for greater coverage. Like materfamilias, I also wear and enjoy Glerups. One difference between the two is socks. I can wear Garneau without and they are lovely. Always wear socks with my Glerups as a friend advised they may pick up foot odour. Haven't tried Shepherd's Flock slippers but their earmuffs are amazing and I assume the same high quality applies.

Those stilettos made me laugh. I always notice them in the shop window, as you say, they seem like visitors from another world!
spacegeek33 said…
Unbelievably tempted by those ones from Norway because they could go outside more easily. Oooh! I already have the cuffs around the ankles ones--they are my go to all winter long!! I just removed something like 15 pairs of heels from my closet. They are in the going-away bags but not quite yet because I feel badly about discarding the heels I used to love.
Duchesse said…
materfamilias and Laura H: Happy you like Glerups and almost mentioned them again. They are great options when you don't need the "full on warmth" of sheepskin. They are washable by hand, and Glerup suggest wearing them while moist to reshape to your foot. I have to store my sheepskin and boiled-wool slippers in a ziploc bag because of a moth problem. (Foot odour in wool is guaranteed to draw them!) B/c those slippers can't air out as well in the plastic, I use sneaker balls.

spacegeek33: Good for you—now take them to the donation box. missus. I once had a day with an image consultant (as payment for a project). By the end of the afternoon, we had filled eight huge garden trash bags with things that no longer worked. (I was a pack rat then.) She made me put them in her car and we went straight to the charity store to donate. She said, "Even if you put these in your garage, you're going to go get stuff out." I always think of her when I do a purge.
Laura J said…
I’m a Birkenstock + hand knit sock person for around the house. Socks with birkies May or may not be “fashion forward”. Lol. But it works for me!
Mardel said…
I too love the glerups and I may have gotten the idea from you. Mine are a few years old now and I have hand washed them, but they show no sign of needing replacement, which is only sad because, like Mater, I see they come in luscious colors now. I don’t understand backless slippers, an invitation to slip, and my heels are often cold. When the weather chills enough that I need warmth and ankle warmth particularly I wear a higher sheepskin boot that goes past the tops of my ankles. I was wearing them before Uggs were ever a thing, and I adore them with passion.
Jane in London said…
Celtic Company are always a good idea, imo. I have some of their Ugg-alike short boots, and they are blissfully comfortable. They provide a re-soleing service, too, when the times comes.

Have you tried Mahabis? Very cool styling but apparently also super-comfortable and practical with different weight uppers/soles for different requirements. I never wear slippers, but my picky friend with 70 year-old, sensitive feet swears by them!

Jane in London
Adele said…
After having tried a few different types of slippers over the years, I have found that a simple ballet shoe style works best for me. My feet get too warm within a few minutes of wearing anything remotely fuzzy, furry or over-the-ankle. I used to be able to find the Isotoner brand ballet style in local stores, but not anymore. So a couple of years ago, I ordered Capezio ballet shoes and they've been my go-to.
Wendelah said…
Because I have peripheral neuropathy, my feet feel cold in winter even when they're technically not. I found a pair of Finn Comfort woolen clogs on sale last season and wore them every day. I can wear them inside and if I forget to change and step outside to get the paper, they won't get ruined in the wet. Finn Comfort insoles are so comfortable and supportive that they have ruined me for every other brand.
Leslie M said…
I love this topic. Nothing compares to the time I have spent searching for comfortable indoor shoes. Does anyone over the age of 50 or 60 have problem-free feet? My list of maladies include bunions and tailor’s bunions, hammer toes, bone spurs on my instep, and arch pain requiring lots of support. Slippers don’t have arch support! I have worn Birkenstock’s until the straps mash on my bone spurs, Stegmans that eventually slip off and that leave black marks on the hardwoods, Vionics... They all eventually fail me. I do have inserts that I’m currently using with a pair of Ilse Jacobsen tulip shoes. These are comfortable and light and are currently okay in our 50 degree F weather. I love the furry, fluffy options that you show, but would be overkill in Seattle.
Duchesse said…
LeslieM: I wonder if your need for arch support means a running shoe- a true "built" one, not the squishy ones, would be your slipper. Slip-ons rarely have much support.

Jane in London: Uggs or that type are very comfortable abd work well if one does not need much support.... I suppose it is nigh impossible to have it all iin one house shoe.

Adele: Not sure about your preferred model but there are many varieties on Isotoner.com

Mardel: I think given the intersection of sending time here and Glerups, that's me ;) Maybe donate yours, and treat yourself to a colour?

All: Uggs boots offer no support whatsoever and podiatrists routinely advise against walking far in them, but for lounging at home, I am guessing OK. I mean, some of us just wear our socks, so what's the diff?
Jane in London said…
La Duchesse is quite right to point out the lack of support in Uggs - something that few of us can tolerate for long at this point in our lives!

I get round this problem by wearing a partial orthotic inside my Ugg-alikes, which provides a proper heel cradle and arch support.

I also wear them inside my Wellington boots, and they have literally transformed the comfort level of long, muddy hill walks! Being British, Wellies are a key element of my wardrobe ;)

Jane in London
Duchesse said…
Jane in London: Thanks for the tip! Adding an orthotic or firm insert (not insole) helps many shoes in terms of support and shock absorption.

For those in cold climates: Blundstone make an insert covered in sheepskin. They are rather expensive but turn Blunnies or any similar ample boots like a Wellie or Chelsea into a toasty little cabin for the foot.
Carol in Denver said…
Giesswein slippers have good arch support, are warm but not too warm, and passable to wear for errands etc. I wear them with socks as wool makes me itch.
Duchesse said…
Carol in Denver; Thanks for reminding us of a classic.
Susan said…
Another option are Haflinger clogs. They have a boiled wool upper, cork sole, good arch support, and a wide toe box. They are not completely “backless”; there’s a bit of a lip at the back. I have Morton’s neuromas (one in each foot) so going barefoot is not a good option. They aren’t super fashionable but they’re not hideous and are great for a Colorado winter.
Duchesse said…
Susan: The clog shoe/ slipper style is a classic of the comfy/ cosy variety and has a roomy toe box. It is at the other end of the spectrum from the maribou-trimmed scuff. Even young women without foot conditions wear clogs, .For me they will forever be the shoes I wore to clomp across campus in 1968. Funny how shoe styles attach to a time and place.

The posts with the most