Sleeping with the enemy

I was having a pedicure, and began a conversation with the esthetician. She mentioned that she slept in an old tee-shirt.

I asked her if she slept alone. "Heavens no", she replied, "my husband is there, except when he snores louder than a jet and has to sleep in the guestroom." I tried to stay nonjudgmental, but privately I thought "I'll bet he enjoys that."

Full disclosure: in the frigid Canadian winter, I reach for my LL Bean flannel nightgown. But it is a cheery print, not the more masculine tartan.

I notice that Le Duc appreciates the return of spring, when silks and satins rejoin the nightwear wardrobe.

So take your pick: cute pjs, a feminine nightgown, a set of lacy lingerie, or your birthday suit, but never, never the ratty t-shirt.

Doesn't matter whether you have company in your bedroom or not, just refuse the limp giveupness of tired sleepwear.

That who-cares vibe seeps into your DNA while you sleep and poisons your other clothing choices.


Spring is the perfect time to refresh your nightwear- and while we're at it, to pitch dingy bras and stretched-out panties.

Shown, top to bottom:
  • Annabelle cotton pjs, from Linda Anderson, on sale for $44.95
  • Printed silk charmeuse gown, $64 from Wintersilks
  • Asian Wrap organic cotton shorty pajamas from Garnet Hill, $58
  • Washable silk Red Dragon plus-size nightgown, $62.95 on sale, from Iris Silks

Comments

Susan B said…
Thanks for the reminder! For cooler seasons I've been wearing the silk charmeuse pajamas from Winter Silks (make me feel like a 1940's movie star) and need to think about repleninshing my warm weather sleepwear. Great choices you've posted here.
Mardel said…
Oh, never old tee shirts. For winter I've been wearing a couple of Eileen Fisher tunic/dresses, one silk one wool, that I bought and wore once or twice and then decided they just weren't me. They work beautifully in the bedroom though and are warm in cool weather.

Good reminder to check the summer supply though before the summer actually gets here.
Anonymous said…
I've been surprised how many guys actually like and request a lady to wear an old t-shirt-- one of theirs. Some even like you to wear their boxers. But many guys say a t-shirt and panties is a very sexy ensemble. One guy of mine always liked me to wear one of his fresh t-shirts to sleep in, then the following day he would wear it out and about. He said I "broke it in" for him nicely.
And a ladies' t-shirt that's aged and thinned just so-- oh, the way it clings and drapes!
Anonymous said…
I didn't wear night clothes when my husband was alive, but find it cold alone. I do wear an old T shirt sometimes, but it is his old T shirt so I am wearing it for a sentimental reason. For when it is cold I now have some nice warm flannelette trousers with colour co-ordinated sweatshirts.
The way I look at it is - we spend on average 8 hours in bed a night - so that's 56 hours per week - get some nice jammies! I love buying new pjs and wearing them, just because it's only my family who see them, doesn't mean they can't be cute.
lagatta à montréal said…
I don't like pyjamas, or sleeping i woven fabrics, except certain silks. Hate flanellette. Always some kind of nightgown, but I confess that I love jersey knit, which is sort of like t-shirt material - it is like sleeping in a cloud. There are some very attractive nightgowns in such material.

I never really walked around the house in pyjamas or nightgowns, though, except for a 4 am rush to have a pee. Only person who sees me in them is sweetie, when he's there (we don't live together).
Unknown said…
My night wardrobe is almost as extensive as my day.
lady jicky said…
Old T-shirts are for polishing your car.
I wear nighties for I cannot stand pj's - I love the look of them but that band around your waist at night - nuh .
Duchesse said…
Anonymous: Was your friend willing to return the favour, and wear yours?

Mardel: Always though EF dresses looked like nightwear, clever idea!

Alienne: I understand; when my dad died I wore his old shirts for a time.

Imogen: For you, for the family- and even the ct seems to like my nighties.

lagatta: Have seen some beautiful jersey knot nightgowns, and silk knit- will try when it's time.
Duchesse said…
Pseu: Ws has some new summer pjs in silk habutai printed with dots that look good.


Anonymous: Was your friend willing to return the favour, and wear yours?

Mardel: Always though EF dresses looked like nightwear, clever idea!

Alienne: I understand; when my dad died I wore his old shirts for a time.

Imogen: For you, for the family- and even the ct seems to like my nighties.

lagatta: Have seen some beautiful jersey knot nightgowns, and silk knit- will try when it's time.
Anonymous said…
ha ha ha! the images you put in my head, of that lover of mine wearing my little t-shirts stretched over his broad chest and strong arms, give me the giggles AND the blushes! Marlene Dietrich was on to something-- a dash of cross-dressing is quite piquant!

The posts with the most