Montréal life: Real (mostly young) women

I'm not sure all of these women are local, but there is something about the attitude that strikes me as markedly Montréalaise. As usual when out with my camera, I look for something other than the packaged, In Style styling you see in stores—something offbeat, brave, or expressive.

Young women seem to have this more than their elders, perhaps because often they cannot afford a head-to-toe splurge on the latest look. But also, because youth is a time for expansive experimentation. (Next time, I promise to feature elders.)

Pink everywhere, and I predict it will sprint into winter,  too. 


Left: A pristine blush tracksuit, with the top tucked in. That gives a wholly different shape—she made sweats look elegant.

Centre: Travelling home from work in a cheerful pink striped skirt and cardie, with multicoloured sandals. It's a grace note when people enliven an office setting.

Left: You can just make out the pink fine-wale corduroy mini, which she wore with a royal blue vintage tee and a brown and white checked shirt. This shouldn't-work-but-does combination is more original. than a conventional composition.

And still, some do co-ordinate, like this young woman at a crosswalk in a pink plaid pleated skirt and brown-and-pink Argyle vest over a white tee. Her white socks even have pink rings at the cuff! Shades of the '70s—and notice her Jean Shrimpton hairstyle. 


Do you see a resemblance?


Behind her, an older woman crossed in dark blue jeans and black shirt. I wondered, will the lass head into darks or retain her playful colour sense?

Other women chose different palettes applied in atypical ways:

Left: She is wearing two different paisley pieces, but the colours relate and her cami unites them.  There's that pink again, this time in her hair! The cami shows her moon-phase tattoo. A lot going on and she pulled off every millimetre.

Centre: An audacious mix: fluorescent sneaker-boots (with lavender socks!), the red stripes, a lime bag, pink abstract-geometric earrings…with a bit of black to ground all that. Whew!

Right: An older woman than the others, in a quieter outfit, What drew me was the floral print on one leg of her white trousers. Her black shirt also has a bronze chrysanthemum about the size of a hand on the lower left side, so the two pieces relate. I wish I knew who made this; to me it's perfect.  


I thought she was a visitor because I heard her talking with her son, who held a guidebook. 

What can our younger sisters teach us? Relax, play, enjoy our clothes. We don't have to imitate any of this (though I would love the white trousers/black shirt), but there is not a boring, generic capitulation in this bunch.


Comments

Unknown said…
I truly enjoy this post, and appreciate all the outfits you featured. A mix of ages is great also. I, for one, am happy to see younger women from real life in your blog.
I know part of my hang up from my youth is the maxim that everything must match. And clothes had to match in the dullest way possible. It has taken me a long time to shake that off.
Jane in London said…
That "long straight hair with wispy fringe" look was a real staple 60s hairstyle, wasn't it! Jane Birkin also rocked it, along with Marianne Faithfull (et al).

The Shrimp was so lovely...
Barbara said…
I really love your posts about "real" women in your City!
Those outfits inspire me more than a Fashion Blog could do.

Looking forward when you show us elder women.

Carol in Denver said…
I remember a young woman, quite plump, who wanted to wear all black because it made her look slimmer. To my mind, it just made her look dull. Colors, especially in not-too-stiff fabrics, can help convey a feeling of a vibrant, interesting personality, much more important (to my mind) than looking slim.
Duchesse said…
Unknown: As I've written, we coordinated early and often. It is probably 'the' defining sartorial detail of my teens. I recall when Carolyn's family hosted a Swedish exchange student. Carolyn said to me, "You won't believe how she dresses—nothing she wears matches!"

Jane in London: As the lifetime owner of lots of curl, I spent a decade and a great deal of money trying to get my hair that straight. And then it would rain. We also bought those custom-blended synthetic switches, and wore them as fat chignons.It was a huge trend for about two years, you could go to a department store counter and have one blended to match your hair.

Barbara: I'll try, but now we go into coats and it's harder to see what women are wearing.

Carol in Denver: As I wrote in my post "How to Dial Up Your Look", quoting Jess Carter-Morley, "Your outfit is your hello to the world." I like to wear black, but not all persons look good in it, and a dull black dye makes a dispiriting garment.

The posts with the most