Oldest Woman in the Bistro: The honest-to-goddess blouse

Last week, Le Duc and I tried a new bistro, scouting on behalf of visitors who ask for our recommendations. The crowd was "une foule bigardée", a colourful, motley assortment of all ages. There, I saw a woman in what I thought was a blouse and skirt; as she walked by, discovered it was actually a dress:


This is by Attersee, of cotton shirting and silk-cashmere voile, so it's pricey (over  $US 1, 095) but this is not a hard look to adapt, in this length or shorter. Keep the effect: the open neck, rolled sleeves. The side-tied sash is optional; it's good with a belt, too:


I realized, then and there, I should lavish some love on my blouses; they transmit a distinct femininity, a pinch of polish. Mine have languished mainly because they require ironing. There, I admitted it. 

(Sidebar: The blouse is a garment that is identifiably womenswear. "Pretty" goes with "blouse" like "nice" goes with "piece of fish",  but 'pretty' isn't often paired with "shirt". The shirt typically buttons up the front, as in menswear, and may be collared or not. Some men wear blouses; I'm not getting into that now.)

The pandemic dealt blouses a terrible thump—all that loungewear invaded—but this fall I see women back in blouses, from hardy denims to floaty confections. 

In today's windows, blouses and shirts that add that "yes, I got dressed" mode. Quite a few women say that they love a good shirt or blouse, but have trouble with gaping buttons. For you, here are some that keep buttons off the bust.

Detailed and different

I'd wear these with jeans, trousers, nothing too "lady".

Isabel Marant tiered printed georgette blouse; sale price $US 246 at The Outnet. I like the blurred print, and the small stand collar. 

There is detail for days in Veronica Beard's "Tivi" denim shirt, and the result is a fit and refinement that elevates it above the usual man-clone model. The price is elevated too—$CDN 348. But I figure it's a lifetime buy, or maybe there is an opportunity for fractional ownership. I wanted to show it as an example of tailoring that is devilishly difficult to find at any price point now.


 Graceful classics

 These cuts are a departure from the usual button-front shirt, and provide some ease at the bustline.


Left: A calm silk blouse is a thing of beauty, especially when washable. From Banana Republic; price $CDN 170; also made in ecru and a soft blue.   

Top right: Another BR piece, the 70% cotton/30% silk shirt (70% cotton/30% silk blouse (washable!) (at time of writing it was marked down to $CAN 39). BR are really upping their game in the last year, via good fabrics and a wider size range. It is probably s/o by now but a stellar example of how an oversized cut does not have to look like a glum rectangle.

A blouse need not be a delicate, airy confection. Here, oxford cloth departs from its button-up duty to appear in a more graceful Easy Shirt from Toast (price, £115):


 Whites

The beauty of a white blouse, an image consultant told me, is that it can stand alone as a top, no matter what the occasion. If you're a white shirt woman, you'll like this article from The Strategist, "The 14 Very Best White Shirts for Women". If I were one, Alain Figaret's white poplin, with "Je t'aime" embroidered inside the placket, would be a treasure. (Price €135.) Embroidery available in various colours.


The special and spectacular

A showstopper blouse can be worn for occasions, but also works with a pair of jeans. The finale is shared by two that prove a specialty piece is more wearable than you'd think.

Anne Fontaine silk watercolour "Aquarelle" blouse ($US 950): I caught my breath. Its supple waft (click on the link to see) and beautiful yet discreet palette make it worth spending to me what is a whole lot.  


The covetable label Equipment have long produced gorgeous silk shirts but the narrow cut left out women with definite busts or hips. Finally, they are making extended sizes (to 4X) in many styles. Obviously these are being snapped up, because many are s/o, but I wanted to shout this news. Shown, Bradner silk satin shirt; sale price is $US 129 but s/o in many sizes.

In Montréal, silk blouse season is short as that of peonies, but if we slip a silk/wool cami under one, it can serve through late fall, even into winter. That isn't trivial, because while I wasn't looking, well-made blouses' prices zoomed up; they easily can cost as much as a dress. 

Still, I call a good blouse a Buy and Hold star, because just like a bouquet of those peonies, it provides a heady charm every time.  


Comments

Leslie M said…
I returned to blouses this year after shunning them due to the inevitable bust gap. Good options exist if one is willing to wait for sales and not settle for ordinary details. Your examples are stellar. I started with 2 white linen button up blouses because they suit my coloring and have the cooling that I need for my twenty four years and counting hot flashes. They go with everything in the summer and I realized that going with a larger size to avoid the gap worked for me. The ironing is a negative, but overall worth the extra effort. But, oh my, they don't have the movement of that Aquarelle blouse. I had a couple of the Equipment silk blouses during my in-office career, but they have ridiculously long sleeves for my short arms. Silk sleeves won't stay up when rolled!
Jane in London said…
Gosh, blouses - something I rarely think about wearing, and have tended to be nervous of since I am a long-waisted, full-busted woman. This is a combo that rarely meets its flattering match in a blouse, I've found...

I only own one blouse, which has a shirred neckline and wafty sleeves to just below the elbow. It's black mid-weight crepe, a bit evening-y, and does for autumn/winter with my black faux leather culottes and for spring/summer with white or cream trousers.

I have shirts (all white, and cotton) but I rather like the idea of a silk blouse, I must say...

Actually, I've just noticed the "Isla" blouse by Crew Clothing, which is a lovely shape with just one button at the neck and has sleeves in the same fabric as the body, but plisse. Not silk, but I am tempted!
Jay said…
I have always preferred blouses to shirts or T shirts. They skim rather than cling
Duchesse said…
Leslie M: Fortunately the period when it seemed all blouses were cut narrowly in the body has passed and larger-busted women can find ones that do not gap. A friend has hers made by one of those visiting Hong Kong tailors who set up in hotels for a few weeks in major Canadian cities. She gets 4-6 every other year, but they are classic solids. (She has both a large bust and very developed shoulders and back because she was a serious competitive swimmer.)

Jane: I once had a silk blouse addiction. Beat it when I said goodby to specialty drycleaning, but lately it has resurged, so now I have two, which are the casual "pyjama top" style. Just so pleasing to wear.

Jay: Yes! And there is a polish to a blouse that is difficult to duplicate in a knit. I find consignments and even thrifts good places to troll for blouses as many women seem to buy them and then not wear, or wear lightly.
Beth said…
Great post! I love blouses but don't wear them that often anymore - this is starting to change. Easier care is one reason. I have two high-tech fabric blouses that look like silk but are wonderful for travel, and recently bought another in an unusual color and print. In Greek cities, I noticed many women wearing lovely blouses in floral prints, stripes, or abstract patterns - in fact I followed one women for a block to get a closer look at her gorgeous satin blouse in a beautiful floral print of blues, rose, and gold.
Barbara said…
I love shirts and have bought two "Boyfriend Shirts" in the past from With Nothing Underneath/UK. They were affordable, but recently their prices ran sky-high. You're right, Blouses can be the same price as a dress. WNU has wonderful silk blouses but they run € 360. Sadly not out of my price range.

Your Pyjama Style Blouses sound wonderful!
Barbara said…
*not* is a typo. Sorry.
Bytowner said…
Excellent post Duchesse. This is a rich topic. I have been more of a shirt woman, but after years of thinking blouses were not for me, I bought an uncharacteristically frilly, puffy blouse on impulse last year. It has turned into a favourite piece and I have enjoyed the fun details compared to my staid shirts.
You said it in your post; the catch with a blouse (or shirt) can be care requirements. You have to find something you can wear and has care instructions you can live with.
BTW, my blouse from last year was from A Bronze Age, a Canadian design brand who manufactures in Canada. They have some great styles and items do go significantly on sale.
I love your posts, I have been a reader for about 2 years.
Duchesse said…
Bytowner: Thank you for introducing us to A Bronze Age. The designs and business model remind me of Montréal's Jennifer Glasgow. "Care instructions you can live with" is essential. For me, machine wash is great, handwash is OK. but dry clean only is a deal killer. (But some pieces labelled DCO can be handwashed.)
Bunny said…
I have always loved blouses. They are an easy expression of my sewing and artistic abilities and such fun. I find a great blouse with a pair of dark wash jeans always "works". I don't worry about them going with other wardrobe pieces and it is such fun to have a variety to choose from each day. My favorites, lately, are of course the classic white shirt and also the bright abstracted prints. I love the designs of Lady McElroy fabrics, made in England. They are great quality and really appeal. I can make any top with them and it looks gorgeous. They have a wonderful chambray subrate of linen and viscose with contemporary prints on top. I have also made it a practice, for many years, to make myself a great white shirt each year. Haven't achieved 2023 yet but it's coming. Yay, blouses!

The posts with the most