Travel: Pondering before packing

Longtime readers know that I have a fraught relationship with the tourism industry. On the positive side, I've felt the frisson travel provides, the stimulating, edifying, even life-changing experiences. 

The negative side concerns the environmental effects of overtourism: pollution, destruction of fragile locales, devolution of residential neighbourhoods into transient rentals, and the results of dependence on the industry as a prime revenue generator.

Photo: Western Mongolia Tours

Travel companies, aware of the increased sensitivity to overrun sites, now promote packages off the beaten path, though clearly that means the path is now Beaten, and the next stage is To Death. Apparently some don't mind; in her New York Times article about Millennials who are flocking to remote regions like Mongolia, Lauren Jackson notes that the number of visitors to Antarctica tripled in the last decade, and that permits for climbing Mt. Everest are at a record high.

Two friends' fall plans reflect their awareness and attendant behaviour. Katrin visited in September, enroute to her regular summer stay in Quebec City, where she studies French. Her return trip, which crosses two-thirds of the continent, will be by rail, instead of air.

While here, she took every opportunity to engage with locals, whether my friends, or—on a slow morning—a friendly boutique owner. Such moments extend even brief encounters beyond the transactional. 

Sitting in a Greek café, we pondered our limits concerning responsible travel. Are we to clip our wings, at our age? We thought not; Katrin was a travel guide in Europe, and saw how exposure to other cultures opens minds. 

The same week, I heard from Alice that she is spending a long weekend in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with her daughter, Annie. The only place I've known Alice and Annie to visit together is Paris—what a change! Over a long weekend, they will explore Pittsburgh's vibrant food scene, visit specialty museums (including the Andy Warhol), and hop on bikes to see historic sites. Theirs was a deliberate choice  made to avoid tourist-dominated cities.  

Le Duc has long tried the patience of friends and even casual acquaintances by expressing his opinion of their tour to a destination like Galapágos, by saying, "If you care about this place, don't go." I am not so strict, but have asked myself several searching questions lately:

#1. Which trips will be most enlightening and engaging now? How do I know that?
If the source is a piece of breathless travel writing or alluring Instagram post, I warn myself not to literally buy it without considering whether it is right for me.

#2. Where, of all the places I would like to go, is my presence likely to cause the least damage to the environment? This list names over-visited sites and provides antidotes, but if everyone goes off season, that preferred strategy will lose its palliative power.

#3. What would I do there? If my primary contact will be other tourists, that's a red flag. My two short-haul trips this fall are by train, to see friends; when I spread my wings farther, it will likely be to a place where I know someone, or at least have a mission beyond a Top Ten Sights list.

My friends currently on the road include a pilgrim of the Camino de Santiago and a garden-tourer, a music lover who travels thousands of miles to see a rare opera, a gourmet determined to eat chili crab in Singapore. Ghislaine, the Camino hiker, has shifted her annual pilgrimage to roads less taken. Eric can't change the destination of his opera, but chose to go by rail and bus rather than fly, and planned his trip to include more time in the area. 

"The people are so relaxed and warm here!", Katrin said, as we walked in autumn's honeyed sunshine.

Square Jacques-Cartier, Old Port, Montréal

But on a Saturday evening, when we visited Montréal's Old Port to attend a concert, I heard a busker in the square berate passers-by who barely glanced his way. In English, he enjoined them to stop and watch his fire-eating show. When he was ignored, he repeated the message in French, throwing in a few  swear words. 

I was sorry about the scene: a dispirited performer touting a routine show to jaded tourists trudging to overpriced restaurants in a neighbourhood teeming with hawkers and gawkers.

This is one reason why those van tours of Outer Mongolia are selling out: our ever-more-populated world is harder to escape. Maybe an answer is to find small, quiet places of beauty, and commune instead of posting.

Katrin and I laughed at ourselves, because despite our principles, we could not resist the allure of a  flamboyant bower of tulle and fake flowers installed in a downtown shopping centre, a magnet for  photos —and I reflexively struck the look-at-me pose.


Travel provides stimulation, delight and discovery. The tour catalogs and Insta sites fan those desires, but the time has come for questioning our journeys; some travellers have dialled down their wanderlust to wanderlike. Full disclosure: Next spring, Le Duc and I might get on a jet again; I'm researching possibilities. Because he will be in the seat beside me, it definitely will not be Venice.

P.S. Good links

1. For women who travel alone or are looking for a sympatico group of women to join: the free, independent newsletter Journeywoman posts many organized trips, along with travel tips. They also list Journeywoman Verified vendors.  

2. An acquaintance (age 80) and social activist is off on her third adventure with Wild Women Expeditions and recommends them highly, not only for their trips, but their awareness. They promise to "leave the environment in better shape than we found it."

2. If you are a contrarian like Le Duc, or want to know how they think, this New Yorker essay is for you: "The Case Against Travel", by Agnes Callard. He is not as hard-line as Emerson; you look for such mercies in a long marriage.


Comments

Laura J said…
I’m mostly with Le Duc…exceptions have been made, needless to say. One offspring lives on the west coast..so…flying involved as train is very expensive. I still harbour a dream to go to Sicily. The issues around travel are interesting as certainly my parents did not view travel and extended vacations as a god-given right; since the advent of easy access to travel its seen as a necessity rather than a treat by many. The off the beaten track trips do give one pause as does the instagrammer posting a little known secret cafe…to thousands of followers. Travel may enrich one’s life if done in the right spirit but even local explorations within one’s own community or nearby may also do the same. Thank you for posting on this issue.
Leslie M said…
I am pondering and agonizing over a decision to join my estranged husband's family for a 'destination wedding' in Hawaii next spring. I neither enjoy traveling on an airplane and all that entails nor Hawaii. The environmental impact of the trip is a big consideration. In Hawaii, one spends time on a beach with other tourists; at least that is the case with my husband's family. My fair Irish/Scottish complexion will be covered and hot flashing temperament in search of air conditioning. Destination weddings force attendees to spend money and precious vacation days in a locale not of their own choosing. A way to take 100 people on your honeymoon. Wasn't that the point of a honeymoon, to get away from everyone? We will spend 4+ days in a big hotel chain's resort, probably never leaving the property or interacting with anyone or anything not Marriott-related. Then we will all return to the same home airport. I don't want to offend the family by refusing to join in the celebration, but honestly can't justify it. Thirty years ago I would have jumped at the chance to attend. Now, I am struggling to see how this would be "done in the right spirit", as Laura J points out.
Duchesse said…
Laura J: Each traveler will make exceptions and at the same time I hope musters the courage to buck pressure (see Leslie M's comment). I love your point about how one's parents viewed travel. I, longing to hit the hippie trail in the '60s, failed to convince them that a trip to Goa was entirely reasonable, even a rite of passage. If they did not have personal business (family, which included ancestors, or a professional meeting) they simply did not go.

Leslie M: I suspect you have answered your own question, and sister, I''ve been there re the destination wedding. To me they are presumptuous. I've passed on every one of them, even for nieces and nephews, from Maui to Lake Tahoe. I have thought, at my most-mean-spirited, that these serve as a device to discourage the older and/or less well-heeled guests who would have happily come to a local wedding. A polite expression of regret will be sufficient; you do not need to explain why. Even certain friends my age for whom the cost is not a factor have begun to decline these b/c they don't like the pressure it puts on the bride and groom's contemporaries, many of whom are paying student loans, and hoping their jobs are stable. One said to me, "Santorini? What are these kids thinking, they owe so much money already on their student loans!"

Leslie M said…
Your assumption is not mean-spirited. My step-son, the groom, said "We are inviting about 150 but hoping that a lot of people can't make it." I reflexively groaned, "oh, god, don't do that". He was looking at me when he said it. :-)
Allison said…
A close friend just returned from Africa where she went to see the gorillas and safari in Uganda. The funds to travel were provided by a doting son. She said it was something she had thought about but could not justify the expense post retirement. After a year that saw her diagnosed with breast cancer and subsequent mastectomy she decided this bucket list wish should be fulfilled. Travelling alone, my friend had a great time and learned a lot about a culture and country she knew very little about.
I think there are still good reasons for judicious, thought out travel. A life changing diagnosis or a generous financial gift presented with the intention of it being used to make a long held dream come true. A celebration of a long relationship is also a reason to travel to a special place and agree that the funds spent on a destination wedding are better used to pay off school debt or help finance the purchase of a first home. I think one ‘trip of a lifetime’ is worth a hundred trips to a same old same old Cuban resort which seems to be the extent of travel for many in my cohort.
Duchesse said…
Leslie M: I would have had to bite my tongue so I didn't say, "Like me?"

Allison: I agree that a gift of a trip can be a wonderful thing, especially as a lift after an illness, and your story made me think of the experiences some persons have had when they finally get "there" . Sometimes the reality lives up to the dream, sometimes not. I have heard so many rationales for trips like this, and the denial of a dream or the urge to celebrate a milestone is a hard one to refute without looking like a killjoy. (Le Duc will do it, I keep quiet.)

On a less stern note:, one of my favourite cartoons showed two dolphins chatting in the ocean. One said to the otherr, "My dream is to swim alongside a middle-aged couple from Cleveland."
Beth said…
It's complicated today, the question of travel, but I agree with Allison that carefully-planned trips are justifiable, and they have enriched my life and my writing and art in ways that few other things have. There is a big difference between that and "bucket list" trips to the Galapagos (yes, Le Duc, I agree: please don't go!) -- and also with the hoards of young people from the UK, Europe and North America who fly to European capitals for a weekend of partying, drinking and shopping and seem to see this as their "right." Destination weddings are another craziness that I simply don't understand (we say no). I also don't entirely agree with the guilt so many of us feel about our habits and climate change: I live on the flyway of a major airport and see just how much air traffic there is (a huge amount) and we all know what happens with cars and other forms of transportation and heating -- but if the governments of the world are unwilling to legislate the changes that they have known we needed for the last 30, 40 years, because of moneyed interests, then putting the blame on individuals is simply wrong. Of course we all need to eat less (or no) meat, travel responsibly, drive less or not at all, use greener forms of transportation. But I refuse, at 70, to feel guilty all the time when we older people who do think twice about our decisions and actions are really neither the problem nor the solution.

The posts with the most