Real people: When the streets bloom

Forecast, April in Montréal: thronged streets with a high probability of joy. The sun is not the sole cause of celebration: A child has chalked a message on the front walk; a young woman blows bubbles on St-Laurent; "Bambou" the cat was found!


When I observe real people as they enjoy the first mild days, I am drawn to those whose whose eye is more important than their wallet.  

A look straight out of the '70s: bright midi dress, jean jacket, suede ankle boots. Not at all "the latest thing", but the way she carried herself showed she was happy to finally take those flowers out of the closet. 

She waited for the dentist, like me. Green cords; golden brown top; peach scarf; the coat (which looks white here) is dove grey, and the bag, taupe. The clothes themselves are basics but look what she's done with colour!


This is an entirely different approach: long black skirt with sheer lace overlay, brown long-sleeved top, and a one-shouldered tank. Her white earrings, tote, and sneakers leavened the neutral palette.


Friends strolling, for those who ask me to shoot women in the Passage. Notice the woman at the left in case you need to justify that scarf you've been eyeing—how it lifts a generic sweater-and-trousers. Her friend's top twists the ubiquitous stripes just so.


There is a category in my head titled You Do You, or as my mother would say, "It's a look." She stopped me in my tracks, but I pulled off one shot. She did not stop Le Duc, carrying the shopping, at right. From the flowered hat to the lace-edged capri leggings, this woman was merrily out on her own terms: dirndl gone wild.


Speaking of Le Duc, he and I both noticed a handsome young musician who boarded the bus. He was smiling as he found a seat, an open, sweet expression. He carried an instrument; musicians, do you know what it is? His case is rectangular, not bell-shaped like a violin case; is this too large for a flute?

We thought he looked like a young Bob Dylan, an effect amplified by tumbling curls, and under his blazer, a shirt scattered with tiny flowers, very '60s.



Mother and daughter, both in what is often called "Gentlewoman Style", the pared-down, on the strict side manner of dress. I like how they relate, but each is in her sphere. 


The second shot enlarges Madame, so you can see details: the layered necklaces, a fitted white tee with a neckline more feminine than a unisex crew, interesting sunnies. The jacket is long enough that it does not cut her mid-thigh. (Hard to find!) And she's another one in white sneakers, springing up like tulips now. 

It is not at all "look at me", but I did, admiring her attention to fit and balance.

I'll be out with my camera more often now that we can actually see clothes!





Comments

Laura J said…
I so enjoy your street fashion observations and photos. Inspiration & encouragement!
royleen said…
I love each photo, and your commentary is on point!
Ms. Liz said…
I so enjoy your Montreal street fashion posts. It has been very cool lately in the Greater Toronto Area but I too bust out something more spring like and colourful each day. Colour lifts my mood and energizes me. I always think "if not now - when" as the days and weeks zip by so quickly. I try not to save anything in my closet to keep for "special" . I dress for me and how I feel that day. I love the picture of the mother and daughter out together. The mother's outfit is so put together.
Jane in London said…
Marvellous glimpses of life and style! I love the lady who looks to me like an illustration for the concept of "Morris dancer on acid" ;)

The young man is, indeed, very Dylanesque. I'd put my money on it being a clarinet in that flight case...
Anonymous said…
Wonderful photos! That's probably a saxophone case - it's too large for a flute and wrong shape for a clarinet or oboe.

Lin
Marilise said…
Me for the stripey top! I like that the stripes are a bit off-set
and the pocket is big enough to be a "statement" pocket-- if you see what I mean.
Barbara said…
I do like your street fashion posts. So much fun to see what "normal" women wear and very inspiring! I'm just not the audience for fashion blogs anymore, so thank you Duchess for the variety on your blog.

Anonymous said…
Oboe? Bassoon? It’s hard to judge the width from the photo. Too big for a flute and not big enough for a saxophone. Almost, but not quite the size of a trumpet case…
My Renzo went missing for six weeks; we almost gave up as winter was setting in. But he returned, half-starved. Renzo (yes, another black cat) went on to live to 20 1/2. I cried for months after he died, in my study. We had already made the euthnasia appointment, but Renzo decided to die in his favourite spot.

Friends brought me Livia, another black stray (mum and kittens were living in a lean-to shed a couple of houses down the street). All were adopted.

Flowers everywhere right now.

The posts with the most