Pearls: June's gem, for all year

Annemarie wrote with a pearl request: Could you suggest a pearl  piece for her best friend's special birthday in mid-June? I asked for the budget and a bit about this woman's style—but Annemarie did not wish to impose a limit; she asked for a range. Friend is "tired of the one classic pearl necklace she has had forever", but, Annemarie said, "she wouldn't like big dangly earrings or a bold necklace." I put my little pearl heart into finding choices.

I wanted to share these with you; they are too sublime to live in one email—or to wear only in June!

Under $200


Left: A calm piece of Chinese freshwater pearl, opal and green quartz from Canadian designer Soma Mo; price, $CDN 110.  The "Lotus 116" bracelet can be resized on request.

Top right: Detail, delicate gold and pearl necklace (adjustable, 16-18 in.) of 4mm freshwater pearls interspersed with gold vermeil spacers.  She could layer this with that classic strand to add interest and texture—or wear alone. Price, $CDN 71 from Etsy seller BeyondBasia.

Bottom right: Micheline Roi "Pop Pearl" earrings in summery turquoise; price, $CDN 75 at Made You Look. These are perfect for someone who thinks of pearl earrings as rather 'lady': surprise! Also made as a pendant or stud earring in many colours, see assortment here.


$250 and up


Top left: This blue-violet Tahitian pendant (14k white gold) is a very good buy, and I've always said, put it all on one fabulous pearl and you will never regret it. Price, $US 268 from the sustainable pearl farmers, Kamoka Pearl.

Top right: Pond, based in London, make intriguing, original pearl pieces using recycled and new pearls along with other repurposed elements. The mismatched "Roman Earrings" on 9k gold wire are perfect for summer days. I love it when designers approach pearls with a wink! Price, €165. 

Bottom: Kojima Company classic white baroque near-round pearls with saucy pink knots; the lustrous Chinese freshwaters are 6.5-7mm, a good choice for layering, or for women who like lighter necklaces. (Photo shows two necklaces.) Price, $US 360. 

Annemarie wrote back to say thanks, and added that her own birthday is two weeks later so, she has sent my email to her partner, because "he is always stuck for ideas, and last year he gave me a "lifetime garden hose". 

Nice, but lifetime pearls are better!"


Comments

Anonymous said…
Your pearl posts are always my favorites - those Pop Pearl earrings are wonderful, so many choices. Thank you as always.

Ceci
Eve said…
I love love love those Pop Pearl earrings ! they would be a nice change from my usual plain pearl studs. They are in my budget too...
As always, thanks for sharing your finds dear Duchesse.
Jane in London said…
I am joining in the chorus of approval for those pop pearl earrings!

So many lovely colours - I could lose my head, if they shipped to the UK. I've emailed them to see whether they do...
Leslie M said…
All good choices - I'm not a bracelet person, but the one you show is really fun. I've mentioned this before, but reiterate that one should not be afraid of the pink knots from Kojima. I was hesitant when I received a keshi necklace with hot pink thread, but have grown to love the pop of color.

A lifetime garden hose! Hilarious, though probably not at the time.
Duchesse said…
Jane: Made You Look, the gallery who sell the Micheline Roi pearl earrings, replied to say they ship internationally. Now, what colour?

Leslie M: Our fragrance goddess, Gwen of perfumeniche.com, has a Kojima freshwater on neon knots and it is just terrific; I agree, hot pink!

Eve: I find them reasonable too; that's part of why I always advocate for genuine pearls.
Jane in London said…
Duchesse - you are an enabler of the most benign kind! I have contacted Made You Look to order the turquoise/white pearl studs. I also like the black ones, the grey ones and the bright blue ones... ;)
Venasque said…
Here's a suggestion for Annemarie. Make a file entitled "Jewellery for Mr. Annemarie to buy me" and just point him there. That's what I do and Mr. Venasque is very happy to have it. Although I'd be happy to have a lifetime garden hose (I'd just be happy to have one that didn't kink) but not for my birthday.
Duchesse said…
Venasque: A wish list is a good idea; I have stories about shopping with partners. Sometimes the man would phone at 1 p.m. on the day of the birthday or anniversary and ask me to go with him. However, for various reasons some persons resist the list idea. In that case they should choose an artisan who will allow refunds or at very least exchange, unless it is a custom order.

The husband of a friend gave her a huge Swiss Army knife for her 50th birthday, the model with about 20 tool . She was as displeased as I have ever seen anyone. She took it back to the store, and the two saleswomen who sold it to him said, "We tried to tell him! We're so sorry!"
Noelle said…
I started an “add a Pearl” necklace when my daughter was born. She’s turning 40 this year, single and sophisticated and I’d love to turn those pearls into something chic. I’d love some ideas for combining them with gold accents for this big birthday.
Duchesse said…
Noelle: You can restyle her necklace; however, it's important to assess the condition of the pearls .(I presume these are akoyas, by far the most-popular for Add-a-Pearl necklaces.) Also, you'll want to think about your daughter's taste now.
Some or all of the pearls may be used, along with the gold elements you mention, and a new clasp. It is also possible to add new pearls.

There are two ways to proceed:
1. If your daughter knows a jeweller whose work she loves, and who makes commissioned work, visit that jeweller together.
2. If not, take your time to look, and build an idea board of pieces she likes; look online or visit shops and galleries.
It will help the jeweller if you and she have some ideas about overall preferences. Also,I have written a number of posts on renovating pearls. Enter "pearls" in the search field and away you go.

Here is a necklace I really like, the design could be adapted (but, I don't know that it's right for your daugher):
https://shop.shibumigallery.com/pearl-tube-necklace-with-14k-gold.html
Duchesse said…

(I am posting Lin's comment, which I accidentally deleted when it ended up in my Comment Moderation foolder.)
The only reason I do a French tuck - the mini tuck version as shown in the second photo - is to avoid having my more fitted knit tops or tees rub against the top of the trouser placket, which can be a bit rough. I've had a few tops fraying at just that spot and I'm not good enough to invisibly mend those tiny holes right in the front and centre of the tops! So the fashion of the French tuck was quite convenient in that way, even though I do agree it really does look silly. Suppose I should really commit to tucking my tops all around! :)

Re: cold shoulder tops - ughh, what a terrible trend, can't believe it actually lasted more than one season. Although, a genuine cold shoulder top can look nice, maybe even occasionally somewhat sexy, but 99% of tops sold as "cold shoulder" were actually "cold upper arm" really and looked ridiculous.

Lin
Duchesse said…
Lin: If your trousers are abrasive, another way to protect a fine knit is to wear a sheer cami under it, leaving it also untucked to form a protective layer—but I don't know if that's suitable for your climate. I wondered whether when tucked, the knit might still abrade because it contacts the interior of the waistband, which I assume is the same fabric. Holes caused by abrasion also happen when knits rub against jackets, coats or bags.

Tom said…
You definitely put me on the path to pearls. My mother bought pearls a long time ago, which involved months of research and quite a lot of money. You have shown me that it's possible to acquire at a reasonable price without anxiety!


As for gifts--I dislike them generally. A long time ago, i asked Tom for this gift: to make my appointments for various medical necessities (which I procrastinate about--sometimes for years) and then to take me to them. Best gifts ever, year after year. e
Duchesse said…
Eva: Pearl buying is much easier when you deal with a vendor who offers refunds in case you are not completely happy. (I'm not sure of the circumstances of your mother's shopping.) As for the gift of appointment-tending, it is just as much a gift to give one's time and kind attention as to give an object. Le Duc's father got the children up, made breakfast and took them to school all through their years in the home, because his wife disliked rising early.

The posts with the most