Pins and patches: Fixing is the new black

The Sojo website wants to know me faster than a round of speed dating: Where do you live? What would you like to repair? 

At present, the new alterations business serves only London, promising to rescue the time-starved and ill-fitted. Its model is disruptive: patrons never visit a shop. Sojo assesses and prices the request, picks up the garment, and delivers after alteration or repair.

To test its process, I tried booking salvation for a crocheted pencil skirt made of at least sixty black granny squares, which was two sizes too big after my weight dropped. No tailor in my city would touch it because of the matching required for the 4-inch squares. Could Sojo handle it?

Sojo got down to business: "How would you like your skirt to be altered?" (I chose "taken in on sides".) They then put me to work: "Match or pin your skirt to help us get the perfect fit." I was directed to a You Tube video: 


"Matching" means finding an item that fits perfectly —you are supplying them with a model garment to replicate, and, the woman in the video says, "it is essential to get it right". 

You lay your ill-fitting item on your perfect-fit item (which should be the same material and style), and pin it to show the difference. I'm not up to it; I want to stand on a dais with the tailor whirring around me; I want them to use their eyes and hands, because tailoring is both art and science. It is the tailor who sees that one hip is slightly higher than the other, or who suggests topstitching to tame a curled seam. 

I felt as if I were making a restaurant reservation and then supplying the recipes.

If I lived in London and still owned the skirt, I might try Sojo, but am wary after a history of failures: the personable young woman who took in the sleeves of my tweed blazer so aggressively that I could not bend my elbows, the laconic Russian who fitted a MaxMara dress precisely, but the pockets never aligned again. 

I found a good local shop, but the prices mean I need at least another five years of life to amortize taking in a pair of trousers. I will now refuse to acquire anything that requires an entire garment be filleted like a fish, then reassembled so deftly that any work is undetectable. Maria, a neighbour, is the opposite, fearless about having coats recut and dresses transformed to skirts. 

Concurrently, some women are taking matters into their own hands. The sale of garment-repair materials and notions has skyrocketed, according to a recent article in The Guardian, "Trend to mend: cost of living crisis puts darning back into vogue".  I thought that Notions, once my favourite part of the classic department store, had vanished like the Ladies Lounge. Can you too be lulled into bliss by a wondrous wall of ribbons and trims, voluptuous drawers of patterns, button boxes encrusted with their pert contents?  

Visible mending has roared to the fore; I like how Eliane, a quilt and pattern designer who writes the blog Patchwork and Poodles, shortened her thrift-store jeans by applying sashiko stitching to the turn-up instead of the usual chop-and-hem:

Photo: Patchwork and Poodles

For the first time in decades, rather than resort to the drycleaner's hit and miss efforts, I darned a three-corner tear in my jeans, instructed by a homey YouTube video. Let's say it's a learning project; I am not the Agnes Martin of stitching. 

There are options for the darning-challenged; designer patches from Macon & Lesquoy will cover holes, snags and permanent stains. When a permanent stain marred one of my favourite bags, a M&L patch saved it—and they are such fun! Even when sold as an iron-on, I have a patch sewn in place. "L'oeil de David Bowie!" exclaimed the teenaged cobbler.


You can also find patches from charming to cheeky on Etsy, some for less—but M&L patches last. 


Clockwise from top left:
"Nicoise Salad" patch, Macon & Lesquoy; price, €20
"Je Pense à Toi" French postcard patch, UPlusStudio (Etsy); price, about $CDN 7
Blueberries patch, $CDN 11, FinallyHome Design (Etsy).
"Clouds" elbow or knee pads, Macon & Lesquoy, flexible and solid, and way more fun than plain ovals. Price, €40

As the child of a Depression-era mother, I grew up with the turned collar, the prom dress transformed into a skirt, shirts recycled as potholders. It was a mark of womanly capability, and no one wore that badge as proudly as Mom. I'm happy that skills once viewed as quaint have gained renewed respect.

As Mother's Day approaches, I think of her, and wonder about your own stories. What clothing or accessories did your family revive?  Did you continue that practice?


Comments

Bunny said…
One of eight children of which six were boys, my sis and I mended all our lives as necessary. It was seen as the normal, natural progression of a garment's life. When the garment no longer fit, the mending stopped and it was passed on. I have made a side hustle of mending and altering in the past couple years, nothing totally consuming, and find that I really enjoy it. I have cultivated a handful of customers who really appreciated my skill set and pay me justly. They come in by appointment and we have great consultations. One I particularly enjoyed lately and who is now a great client, is an engineer. We needed to extend the life of his much beleagered backpack and his imput was clever and valued. Between the two of us we came up with a great solution and he was very pleased in the end. I try to develop relationships like this with my clients as it adds to my enjoyment of the process and theirs. I market my business as repair, not alteration. This brings forth some interesting work which challenges me and the client and makes it more enjoyable. We make friends with each other. On my latest blogpost, which is not about mending, you can see a coat I just did some major work on. I have a tiny customer who bought an exquisitely tailored classic wool coat, way too big. She knew it was big but bought it anyway. Who hasn't been tempted to buy something that didn't fit and get it tailored. It certainly adds to the price but in the end we have just what we want.

For your skirt, Duchesse, I wouldn't have touched it. I don't do granny squares and would have referred you. Then there is matching the yarn, which I see as the biggest challenge. However, what I would have done is perhaps added a line of silk satin down each side, a la tuxedo, and maybe a new waistline of the same satin. What do you think? My consultations are free!
Duchesse said…
Bunny: I can imagine readers thinking, I want to contact Bunny. Her blog is here: https://lasewist.blogspot.com.

Delighted, Bunny, to hear about your side gig, which takes not only the eye but the ability to work meticulously.
I donated the MaxMara knit skirt. Before that, I consulted expert alteration shops and they said, impossible. It had been knit in one piece like a tube made on a knitting machine, so it was seamless. I did not want any other fabric used than the knit, which was fairly heavy.

Taking a tailored coat apart as you did reminds me of a friend whose husband died. He had several gorgeous cashmere sports coats he had barely worn since he bought them in England. She had them recut as blazers for herself. Obviously she wanted the memory of Ted; that work cost nearly much as buying new ones! They were relined with more feminine fabric, too.
Jane in London said…
My mother could knit beautifully, including unpicking and resizing/repairing knitwear, and did darning that looked like embroidery, but could not sew at all. But that did not matter: there were several reliable craftspeople in our town whom one could turn to for repairs and alterations - tailors, dressmakers and the invisible mender (a name that entranced me as a child, and seemed to have a fairytale ring to it).

My sister was a whizz at everything - she could hand-sew, dress make, knit and crochet really well. So she ended up doing a lot of hemming and turning of cuffs once she was older.

I can hand-sew and darn well, but that's pretty much it. I have fond memories of teenaged Saturday afternoons, sitting with my cousin and listening to records while we carefully mended the runs in our school tights!

I remember reading a rather lovely article in the Sunday Times by Flora Gill. She had had some of her late father's (the writer and dandy A A Gill) bespoke suits re-tailored to fit her and had clearly found the process helpful in dealing with her grief.

Last Summer I got my husband's faithful Harris tweed jacket re-lined. 25 years of frequent wear had shredded parts of the lining, though the tweed remained in excellent condition of course - that stuff is made to last. He was delighted with the result and the somewhat expensive work involved was certainly worth it.
JumpRinger said…
Loved the link to the arty patches…so handy to repair holes or tears that would be noticeable with mending. I enjoyed the Informative post on the pros and cons of tailoring and tailors.
Duchesse said…
Jane in London: I feel a pang when I realize how these arts have been, if not lost, devalued. Once, women were deeply proud of their needlework, whether mending, knitting and crochet, embroidery, quilting. One of my favourite episodes of Jo Andrews' "Haptic and Hue" podcast series is the one on the "Canadian quilts" made by Canadian women during WWII and sent to Britain.

Harris Tweed will live forever, like Legos!
Jane in London said…
Duchesse - you've really got my memory banks fired up now :) I remember that one of my redoubtable great-aunts was renowned for her hand-smocking. She made babies' dresses and such like, and decorated the smocking with tiny rosebuds or forget-me-nots made from embroidered French knots.

One can only imagine what price such work would command these days...
Duchesse said…
Jane in London: The dresses sound exquisite! Needlework was a source of expression and a matter of family pride. I wore a jet choker that my great-grandmother had created for years, until the thread disintegrated. Are you listening to "Haptic and Hue"? It has reacquainted me not only with textiles, but with all the various applications, mostly from women's hands.
Martina said…
I love the fact that I learned to sew at age 8 and have always loved to sew. My nieces are not seamstresses, but they do like to embroider and crochet. I’ll get them sewing someday>
Anonymous said…
This website is out of UK https://www.qest.org.uk/about-qest/

It is about traditional crafts learning.
Jane in London said…
Duchesse, I haven't been listening to Haptic and Hue, but I now think I certainly should :)
Laura J said…
I love to mend! I don’t do it all that well but hand knit socks, sweaters, clothes…I did turn a collar but only once;. mending needs a good quality garment to be successful I think. Haptic & hue is such an interesting podcast…the one about Canadian quilts sent to the UK during ww2 was very moving
Allison said…
My mother was a whiz at the needle arts, sewing, petit point, knitting, embroidery, smocking…you name it. We were the best dressed kids boys and girls. My grandmother could darn but was too much of a ‘career girl’ in her youth ( she didn’t marry until thirty) to learn much more than the basics. Her younger sister was a genius with the knitting needles spending one winter knitting herself a suit ( skirt and sweater) from cashmere wool and decorating the collar with a bit of fur from an animal she had trapped herself…for my great aunt the feminine arts thrived alongside chopping wood, cruising the trap line, hunting and fishing. I have the christening gown and under skirt hand made by my mother, literally not one machine stitch. It has tiny tucks front and back, French seams and white embroidered flowers. She had copied a similar gown seen at Eaton’s College Street store. We all wore that gown as did all of her grandsons. My talents lie in the kitchen though I can sew & mend. I wish that kids were taught basic mending in school ( yay Home Ec) sad when my 98 yr old father can sew on a button or fix a pant hem but his twenty six year old grandson has to get mom to fix his loose coat button. My dad lost his mom at thirteen and his older sister taught him how to mend because with six other sibs to look after she didn’t have time!
Happy Mother’s Day
Duchesse said…
Allison: What a rich history in those clothes; imagine the love in that christening gown! The women and sometimes men of those generations did not throw out a pair of jeans because of a dime-sized hole at the hem, as I saw a young adult do recently. Even the accoutrements, such as thimbles and crochet hooks, were considered vital parts of household furnishings. Your description of your great-aunt made me think how generally eroded our capabilities have become in the last hundred years.
Laura J said…
Re: eroding of capabilities…so true! Basic hammering, changing a washer, basic cooking etc…I pleased though to see the upsurge in hand sewing (e.g. Bernadette Banner) but even so those skills don’t seem integrated into every day life. Perhaps new skills(managing excel, photoshop, setting up a printer etc have replaced them?
Duchesse said…
Laura J: I've just spent the morning writing a post about this. Perhaps the upsurge in hand sewing will instil confidence to learn some of the other skills?
Laura J said…
I hope so! I am encourage occasionally as I see a local knit store doing classes at the library, sold out sewing classes at a small fabric store. But some of these skills require investments of time and money which many young people do not have. Looking forward to seeing this new post!
Duchesse said…
Laura J: Another reader is sharing her knitting expertise by attending an "all levels" evening course at a local library. She knows more than the instructor so usually ends up helping novices, which she's happy to do.

As for the cost of supplies, in thrifts, I often see knitting needles (but hardly ever yarn) and large pieces of fabrics. It may not be the perfect colour or pattern but if someone wants to learn to sew on a machine, it's an option. (Sometimes it's really good fabric!) A number of community centres offer sewng courses but so far I have seen none offering hand-sewing. And you are right, enrolment has surged.
Jill Ann said…
So true about the erosion of skills. I volunteer at Dress for Success, where we fit women with interview-appropriate outfits. We do our best to choose something that fits the client well, but often the pants or sleeves need to be shortened a bit. I know the women generally can’t afford to have things tailored, so I gently inquire if they can sew or know someone who does. Almost none of the women (of varying ages) are able to do a hem, although some have a mother or grandmother who can do it for them.

I can’t help thinking about my granny, who had mad skills with a needle. She made beautiful quilts as well as embroidered pillowcases that she finished with a border of hand-crocheted lace. She taught me to sew on her treadle sewing machine (which I still have). Am happy that one of my daughters has really developed an interest in sewing and also taught herself to knit; she’s made some beautiful sweaters!
Duchesse said…
Jill Ann: Good for you for your volunteer work! Access to a machine might be another barrier (though one can hem pants by hand.)

I was curious about my own city so looked for clothing repair classes. I found a three-hour workshop for beginners, "Learn How to Repair Your Clothes". However, price is $70, not bad for a private provider but it gave me an idea. I'm going to talk to the community agency on my street; they offer sewing classes at much lower cost,, but not oriented toward repair. Perhaps they would add one. There are also good online tutorials on hemming and mending tears.

Your grandmother's pillowcases sound exquisite and made me think how rare it is these days that persons take the time and care to make everyday objects beautiful, by their own hand.

The posts with the most