Closures, Compensations and Comforts

Welcome back, after a summer like no other; did you ever think you'd hear the compliment, "Nice mask"?

The Passage re-opens with a post from the "Getting and Spending" series, in which I examine the detrimental versus delightful aspects of consumption in the present day. After months of observation, there seem to be three key tactics going on at the same time: Close, Compensate, Captivate.

Closures

Between March and August, apparel fell off a cliff; according to McKinsey, 75% of the industry will "have trouble managing debit level"— read bankruptcy, restructuring, or closing—this year.

We watched Neiman's shutter (almost overnight), and designers like Diane Von Furstenberg (exposed by her own words in a NYT interview) drop under the knockout punch. Saks reopened on a sepulchral 5th Avenue, with dedicated elevators for "elderly and vulnerable customers".

Rent the Runway's odious business model stumbled on the aspirational catwalk; I admit to schadenfreude. Just maybe women will return to the idea of getting value from clothes, instead of fleeting bragging rights.

Fashion authorities like Lynn Slater ("The Accidental Icon") woke. Slater wrote, “It’s been like a detox from the consumerist social media world and the need for constant self-promotion I got lost in... Clothes or other “things” that give us pleasure and values that honor all people and the planet don’t have to be mutually exclusive. It can be a creative challenge to find the intersections.”

I'm not sure we are doing much better with "honor the planet"—fast fashion has stuck like a nasty piece of Christmas tinsel. My lobby clogged with deliveries from Zara and H&M. 

Compensations

The fashion industry asked itself how to stay relevant, and found they could no longer persuade women to buy something like the outfit below. Good lord, what is that thing?



While status brands staggered, the high street pivoted to loungewear: sweatpants, soft fabrics. Everyone made masks. An entire category of apparel became dated as a museum diorama: skirt suits, dry-clean-only trousers, heels. Clothes suddenly said, "It's OK" instead of "Where's the party?

Comfort-consumption

And yet, emotional buying is real. Something pleasurable tamps down the shredded edges of anxiety and provides the same relief (for about as long) as my new indulgence, yeast baking. 

Even though every woman I know did a huge closet purge, finally donating that expensive jacket that made her skin look sallow as a garbanzo bean, she occasionally sought something that made her feel better

Joanne, a nurse, exhausted after months of extra shifts, bought herself deluxe down bed pillows. Antoinette, a neighbour whose mother was hospitalized for six weeks, ordered an elegant flowered blouse from local designer Isabelle Elie, on sale but still expensive. (This is an example of something I would not wear well, but looks delightful on her.)




I sure know my feel-better soft spot. In July, I went to the outstanding jewellery gallery, Noël Guyomarc'h, to look for a birthday gift for my daughter-in-law, Natasha. In his airy space, I saw new pieces from one of my favourites. Hints were proffered—my birthday is four days after hers.

So, from Le Duc, a Vivienne Jones silver and gold band like that at left, below, to stack with other rings I've worn for decades. Her work is beautifully-made from every angle.



Come September

And now, September, Fashion New Year, when we're programmed to consult magazines, plump with trends. In a grim situation—ad sales drying up, Conde Nast employees and execs laid off or taking pay cuts—Vogue's hefty September issue hits the stands late (this month instead of August) and like a tree falling in the forest, will anybody be in the office to admire one's new outfit, anyway?

Every fall since I was age 14 and saw them in Seventeen, worn with what were called "boot skirts", I've lusted after some version of tall leather boots like these by Gabriella Hearst, so dark blue they are almost black.  


For over a half-century, my babysitting money, and eventually salary never stretched quite far enough for a pair. But this September the fantasy has finally receded; I feel like I'm walking though a school on Saturday, all echoey and a bit forlorn.

I am buying on occasion, but not for me. More than ever, I enjoy giving spontaneous gifts to friends—perfume decants, a book, teas, a basket of berries. To celebrate her milestone birthday and new professional endeavour, I sent R. one of Vivienne Jones' chains

I'm still captivated by jewellery, because it is art, and at the handmade level, imbued with more emotion than mass-produced clothing. Distancedfrom the social bustle, the hand of the maker lifts and connects me, much like seeing a mural when I'm out walking.

So the Passage reopens. Its windows will display life, pearls, a bit of style, and keep a beady eye on the rat-a-tat of consumption, a topic that has won more converts lately. Women other than Slater see that they need not buy unceasingly.

Have you spent differently in the past six months, and how does that feel?







Comments

Francie Newcomb said…
Welcome back, Duchesse, so glad to see you! I purged summer clothes and now will purge again when bringing down winter clothes. It's so freeing. I also took your advice and bought a few summer dresses online because of the good sales and the nagging back-of-the-mind wondering if those stores will even be around next summer. Definitely not very much of interest is happening here in terms of clothes but I do lay out an outfit every night and try to work through all my summer items!
So glad you’re back. I hope you had a good summer given the circumstances. Vancouver had fine weather during lockdown which brought a lot of people out on their bicycles, walking and having meetups in the park and on the beach.

I do not function well in hot weather and it seemed all my summer clothes were worn out so I needed a new wardrobe! I set myself a goal to make a garment a day for 30 days! I now have the wardrobe of my dreams — very simple pieces in linen, cotton or rayon and I have survived the heat. I am glad to feel the change in the air and must now get busy on the autumn and winter wardrobe.

I found @criswoodsews on Instagram with her Envelope Dress, then jacket called “the Throw”. They are exceedingly simple to make and look great on every body type. Those coupled with Bob pants from Style Arc and a self drafted copy of a Japanese top completes the picture.

I am in bliss. Can’t wait to start sewing for fall.

Hummingbird5 said…
I'm so glad your back.
Lily said…
Welcome back! I was thrilled to receive the email notifying me you have returned. I used to be very fashion conscious, but between retiring, and this pandemic, I have lost interest. I have never gone in for extreme styles, generally loving classic, well-made items that have a subtle twist. All I have purchased so far this entire year are 5 short sleeve black tee shirts from JC Penny, for the summer, and my one fall splurge, a beautiful, simple camel suede jacket that will be a real bargain, based on the number of times I will wear it. I don’t plan on buying anything else. 2020 has made me aware that I don’t need as much as I thought I did, in regards to material possessions.
LauraH said…
Wonderful to see your first post of the new Passage season!

As I've mentioned before, I'm not wearing all my clothes these days so when I feel the itch for something new, I remind myself of that. Sometimes I go and look in my closet and that really brings it home. So I have bought nothing except some masks from Katrin Leblond and a pair of pearl earrings from Kojima.

My splurges have been pots for my indoor plant collection which I plan to re-vamp this fall, plant supports for the garden, a new watering system and books, both new and used. Amazing the amount of money I have not spent over the past 6 months.

I'm very much looking forward to your reports on "life, pearls, a bit of style, and ... the rat-a-tat of consumption".
Anonymous said…
Lovely to see the shutters open and read your posts. Am enjoying wearing a lovely pearl necklace from Kojima—perfect with summer linens. Slowly but surely getting rid of things we do not need

Lauraj

Beth said…
It's good to have you back! What a reality-check the fashion industry is going through, and a lot of consumers as well. The big takeaway from these past months for me has been that I actually preferred the simpler life I led when I was younger and had less money, and cooked, sewed, knitted for myself and others as a matter of course. I've been getting rid of things, recycling things, and it feels much lighter and better. As for consuming, I've barely bought anything: a pair of handmade Mexican huaraches, a replacement pair of sandals that haven't even arrived, and, as a pre-birthday present to myself this month, two pairs of vintage modernist Mexican earrings from a seller on Etsy for less than $40 each.

I knitted a baby sweater and am about to start a baby quilt, both as gifts. I wish I had had more time to sew: I've bought & downloaded two patterns from an indie-designer - a jumpsuit and a top - but don't have the fabric yet. The cloth for the quilt was ordered online from two small Canadian quilt shops.
One thing I am longing for is a pair of the smallest (but not tiny) créoles (hoop earings) at Pilar Agueci. They are very plain but beautifully made. I do need new black or dark jeans (would prefer green or deep red/violet to blue) but that is because I lot quite a bit of weight during the pandemic - I'm not very interested in food if not cooking for friends, and have been in high anxiety. I do love your green jacket, but that is a colour I always like, including the more casual Patagonia version.
Duchesse said…
Francie Newcomb: That is a legitimate worry. Even big brands and stores that have been around forever are vulnerable.

Vancouver Barbara: That is some kind of record! Do you have your creations online anywhere? Thank you for pattern references, many readers sew.

Hummingbird5: Don't worry about it, we all fight that autocorrect daily.

Lily: Your jacket sounds luscious and I believe we all need something to lift our spirits. So maybe that should be, "a purge and a splurge"?

LauraH: I noticed that spending more time at home, I see things I'd brushed by in the past, and some need replacing.Pots are a great example. '

Laura: I will be posting soon on various reader's pearls, they do seem to have restorative powers for those of us who enjoy them.

Beth: I relate to that, but in my 20s had more avidity re clothes and literally "bought into" the have-to-wear-something-new (often borrowed) ethic.

lagatta: Those are hard colours to find in jeans, at any size. I have seen coloured Yoga brand jeans at Katrin Leblond. I'll keep an eye out.


Tom said…
So nice to have your exquisite/quirky sensibility and writing back. I have only bought one thing since March--a sleeveless fitness dress from LLB. They only had a small in stock, but my millennial advisors said it looked ok. Oh-and I ordered a long faux pearl rope as a test. Now that I am gray and wearing a bun, millennial advisors said I looked less messy and could try a knotted long necklace (like the one you have!). I stopped going to the thrift store BEFORE the shut down and my switch to online teaching, which is stressful, but LESS stressful and exhausting than face2face. The lack of stress-related thrift shopping is enabling me to make some progress on decluttering (Swedish Death Cleaning) and the decline of stress-eating in between classes led to a loss of 15 lb.

Using T's computer/email because mine only allows full real name and WORK email.....no. So it's me, Eva/FS.
Duchesse said…
FS: I encourage you and any other woman to consider the input of others (of any age) and then choose what pleases you! Thrifts are good places to find fake pearl ropes. The fake rope works for a rough idea, but what you do not see is the charisma of genuine pearls, the under and overtones sing on you. Also mm size. Beautiful lustre makes a different impression and can be as delicious as bigger (in rope length can be heavy.) You will see one on me in next post. Suggest you order one or two from a reputable seller who offers full refund returns. You could call to discuss, send a photo of yourself or of strands that have caught your eye.

Thanks for pointing out that thrifting can add to clutter; «  finds » are still ‘ stuff. One of my local friends told me she started SDC and was so successful that she has moved to a smaller apt. in same building. This has reduced financial stress and she can keep it tidy herself, so she renamed it Swedish Life Cleaning.

I will post some photos of various combinations of my creations on Instagram soon.
Leslie M said…
Well, hello. I assumed Tuesday would be your first day back, so I missed this yesterday.
Clothes have assumed a different position in the priority list. I started a new job in June (the new job last year ended when the company ran out of money) but have worked from home since. I keep a few tops at the ready for Zoom meetings. One was purchased when Neiman’s put everything on sale after the bankruptcy. Consignment and resale shops closed for most of the summer, so I still have bags of donations in my spare bedroom. I went through them last week to see if there was anything I might still want, but no. I still check the Kojima website for earrings that might elevate a Zoom ensemble.
Duchesse said…
Vancouver Barbara: Thank you, I've started following.

Leslie M: Yeas, I left early so came back a few days early. Our consignments and thrifts closed, but are open again, with customer controls. I have donated but so far not bought.
Duchesse, look at these from Reitmans: https://www.reitmans.com/en/skinny-jeans-the-sculpting/438751.html?dwvar_438751_color=Green%20Gables&cgid=Women_Denim#start=1

Usually their greens are olive and I definitely have a pair of those, but this looks more like the colour I really crave.

I find a lot of Reitmans' clothing lacking in quality (not very good fabrics, except for their 100% cotton pullovers and some of their Hyba sportwear) but in general I find their jeans decent quality and well adapted for curvy figures (which refers to waist-hip ratio, not clothing size).

My best t-shirt values have been at Simons: organic and Supima cottons, many marked down dramatically.

A visit to Katrin Leblond is always worthwhile, and just a nice stroll from chez nous. There is a messy Portuguese shop close by that has a great array of tinned fish.
Duchesse said…
lagatta: The Reitman's sure are a lot cheaper than the Yoga ones, if you are looking for skinny jeans! Once you find a jean brand that makes a cut that suits you, it is a good idea to bookmark them and pounce during a good sale like this one.
Those "skinny" jeans go up to about size 20. They've always fit me well, even when I was far from skinny (but not a size 20)! They are simply close-fitting, not skin-tight! I'm definitely going to try them on in what looks like a splendid green.

Not looking for jeans for Yoga. I have comfy leggings for that kind of exercise. I'm very comfy in that jeans cut; just don't get them too tight. Reitmans skinny is not at all like ado brands skinny. Their base customer is a boomer.

Hope all your family and friends are well! Livia sends her Black Life matters feline love!
Duchesse said…
lagatta: Yoga Jeans are a brand, they are not * for* yoga practice. I have never seen anyone in a yoga class wear jeans but once, a man in a skirt. They have a bit more stretch than the average jean. Skinny jeans refer to the style... I hope they fit you as they have colours you like.
sensitive poet said…
We had record (for us) heat this summer, with an extended heatwave, 30+ degrees for about 6 weeks. I was glad I had some long loose skirted pants in gauze cotton, which were light as a summer breeze, but still provided some cover. I had mix and match linen or gauze cotton tops, and lived out of this wardrobe for the full 6 weeks.

I dress for mainly for myself, but couldn't help notice that I got lots of compliments - where did you get it - imitation being the best form of flattery! Even better, a womenswear store owner/cum dress maker asked to borrow a pair, so she could copy and make some for herself! For those who might be interested, it's still available at Etsy https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/617627195/black-skirted-pants in the grey and in the black, last I noticed.

It used to be available in a wide range of beautiful colours through Watersisters on eBay, but they seem to have gone out of business. Otherwise, no purchases, just using what I already had more creatively. Stay well everyone, get your shots, wear your mask and keep your distance, and we will make it through this winter and spring!
sensitive poet said…
We had record (for us) heat this summer, with an extended heatwave, 30+ degrees for about 6 weeks. I was glad I had some long loose skirted pants in gauze cotton, which were light as a summer breeze, but still provided some cover. I had mix and match linen or gauze cotton tops, and lived out of this wardrobe for the full 6 weeks.

I dress for mainly for myself, but couldn't help notice that I got lots of compliments - where did you get it - imitation being the best form of flattery! Even better, a womenswear store owner/cum dress maker asked to borrow a pair, so she could copy and make some for herself! For those who might be interested, it's still available at Etsy https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/617627195/black-skirted-pants in the grey and in the black, last I noticed.

It used to be available in a wide range of beautiful colours through Watersisters on eBay, but they seem to have gone out of business. Otherwise, no purchases, just using what I already had more creatively. Stay well everyone, get your shots, wear your mask and keep your distance, and we will make it through this winter and spring!
Duchesse said…
sensitive poet: Your pants, also known as «  tulip pants », are popular in hot countries where modest clothing is required (no shorts) and made in both wrap and fixed styles. I so admire persons like your dress maker who can self-draft a pattern. Sewers interested in a pattern for these can find them by searching tulip pants or tulip salwar.
I have a few fine Anokhi cotton skirts that I hope never wear out, and wear them with linen tees when temps break 30C. Pants like yours would be a pretty change.

The posts with the most