Capsules, considered

Writing in The Guardian, Jess Carter-Morley says, "A fabulous capsule wardrobe is the sustainable way – which is to say the modern way – to raise your fashion game", citing exemplars like Sade and Audrey Hepburn.

Why, she wonders, do so many women agree, but not do it? Pick me to answer! We are programmed more toward cornucopia than capsule; dazzled with choice, our Inner Magpie darts to the new. Driven by emotion more often than need, we receive hefty cultural reinforcement for yielding to that urge—there are still plenty of trophy-shopping blogs around.


Lately, the capsule-focussed designer offers pre-selected sets for travel (e.g., one month in a carry-on), or for the spare wardrobe consistent with a minimalist aesthetic. Such makers include Helene Clarkson, the Canadian-made encircled, Vetta  (who offer ten capsules, such as Elegant, Edgy, Minimalist). Others, like A Day, offer capsules as part of their collection.


Their designs tend toward the unstructured, often made from poly-cotton interlock or synthetics for seasonless wear and easy layering; some are reversible. You will not find bold patterns, which are too identifiable as "that same top she wore yesterday". 


Some makers emphasize multi-purpose garments:



Left: Vetta's tiered wrap dress unsnaps from midi to mini length. 
Right: Helene Clarkson's Zia dress is reversible, from a print to a solid, and you can turn it one way for a scoop neck, the other way for a crew. (I am not sure why you'd want to do this, but okay.)


Luxury minimalism

Carter-Morley mentions wardrobe. nyc, who deliver a box containing a blazer (shown in ecru; the black blazer is similar), shirt, t-shirt and pair of leggings for $US 1, 950, the sartorial equivalent of going to Canyon Ranch to figure out how to eat a sandwich. (There is also an 8-item option.)


They introduce themselves rather grandly ("wardrobe.nyc is a conceptual composite of luxury essentials, distilled into their purest and most desirable form...") and deliver strict, natural-fibre, Italian-made pieces that are the walking definition of sprezzatura.


One could copy their approach without spending so much, or by adding a piece at a time. To their credit, sizing is up to 2XL.



Photo: wardrobe.nyc

What, I wondered, is the benefit of an ecru wool blazer that must be drycleaned frequently? I'd consider A Day's washable Strategy blazer, $US 235. (A Day's size range is limited and off. Large—for them—is a US 10! I call that Medium.)


Photo: thisisaday.com
Uniform or capsule?

An important distinction: is one is interested in being a uniform dresser or a capsule dresser?  You can be the former without being the latter, says the woman who once owned fourteen pairs of black trousers. Once you choose the capsule, even if it's generous, you must delimit your territory.

I don't believe any capsule works for all seasons either, unless you live in a terrarium. Two—fall/winter and spring/summer—is the minimum for most zones.



Photo: The Vivienne Files: "Starting from Scratch" article

There there is no finer resource for creating a capsule of pieces you choose than Janice Riggs' blog, "The Vivienne Files". Her stealth agenda is to offer an alternative to scattershot buying, but she understands the emotional role of our clothes and loves colour—so she's not hard-line. To create capsules, see  "Starting from Scratch", her illustrated series of articles. What a generous, talented stylist!

I predict the designer capsule-makers' market will shake out; the apparel business is overcrowded in this shaky economy. I like that their navy blue will match across seasons (and years), but buying everything in one place results in looking like a flight attendant, calmly coordinated but rather tight.


Whether self-built or pre-packaged, capsule collections are a valid slow-fashion strategy unless we are the sartorial version of my neighbour Emilie, who has at least three dozen different nutritional supplements on her pantry shelves, and has taken 90% of them only a few times. 


She literally has too many capsules, but each seemed "the one" when she bought it!

Comments

Venasque said…
The problem with these capsules is that the fabric in most of them is awful and the designs sloppy and mumish, unless you're buying the 5 pieces for $2000 or however many there are (but that double breasted jacket is going to date in five seconds). It's much better to make a list of what you need (or want) and shop for them individually. You want to spend much more for a blazer than a tee, but a cheap tee still looks thin and badly made. It's actually quite hard to find a well made white tee.

I have made a pledge to buy less but better quality in the European way, but I must admit I love clothes and do fall off the wagon and not occasionally. I have many more summer things than winter as they're only worn once before washing but I personally don't mind having my winter clothes dry cleaned, so that's not an issue for me when purchasing. I do however wash many things that say dry clean only.

I agree entirely about the all season wardrobe. When I see that advertised I always think to myself you sure don't live where it's 90 degrees and humid in the summer and minus 90 in the winter.
Laura J said…
Agree with Venasque..especially now that I’m tiring of wearing black and really only feel comfortable in natural fibres. The advertising lure of the Pre-made capsule is that the decision is made for you. You need only toss on a scarf(hmmm....Tuesday’s post!). Capsules can lure one into having many capsules thus defeatIng one of its aims, to buy less! I also want to see some capsules for -20 C with a -30 windchill!!
Vivienne Files has been very helpful in paring down the wardrobe as has this blog. Jewelry acquisition has had a slight up tick. Lol
Duchesse said…
Venasque: The DB jacket looks to me to have a longer shelf life than your assessment, but it's the soil-prone colour that would shorten its run in my closet ;) As for well made-white tees, every spring sees a spate of articles touting the perfect one, but "well-cut" really depends on the body, and white is unforgiving in terms of fabric and construction. You can build a capsule wardrobe from thrift and consignment, too, but the weak link is a current-looking blazer-type jacket. Women tend to hang on to a sharp jacket.

LauraJ: I'd like to try that $2K capsule (or an expanded one, as they now allow you to buy the number of pieces you want) and see what happens. But $CAN 600 for a knit skirt?!
Jean Shaw said…
Agree that Janice's blog is a great resource, and I always appreciate your insights.

Re: capsules, my opinion on my closet just underwent a bit of a course correction--nothing like packing in advance of wildfires to get your attention. Now that we are home and safe (except for horrible air quality), I am doing a major "life cleaning" ... under the circumstances, I don't want to call it a "death cleaning."

Venasque, I once read an article by a theater costume/wardrobe person indicating that MUCH of what says dry clean can be washed. I suspect it ran in "Threads" magazine, but am not sure.
Jane in London said…
Oh, gosh, I've just looked at the wardrobe NYC website - it all looks a wee bit joyless to me. One style does not fit all, any more than one size fits all!

I remember buying Susie Faux's book Wardrobe back in the day, which built on the capsule wardrobe thing, but with much more brio.

But I can see that this sort of thing could be a useful gateway into owning far fewer clothes, which I think makes it much easier to dress well.

Now I'm retired, I have happily eliminated whole categories of clothing and really enjoy my slender wardrobe - everything is visible and there's no packing away of seasonal clothes. Much easier!

That said, I live in a temperate maritime climate, and I appreciate that others have to cope with farmore extreme temperatures...
Bee said…
I suppose most of my wardrobe fits into the capsule wardrobe idea. I have, for many years, chosen items that work together in terms of color and style. I do want some change from time to time, though. Lately I find myself wishing for brighter, more cheerful colors. A truly small wardrobe has become less important to me.

Duchesse said…
Jean Shaw: re dry cleaning, I have long machine-washed cashmere and merino sweaters, but for the past decade have avoided things like heavy wool coats that do not wash no matter how careful. I m glad you are safe and home. Many family members in OR... following this closely. I like the term Life Cleaning.

Jane in London: a little jewellery would help there! And there is a certain type of woman who embraces that super-clean, ultra-edited look. Just looked at my closet: colour for summer but come winter, back to darks, at least on the bottom. The woman with a temperate climate has an easier time; here we range through 60 Celsius degrees over the course of a year.

Bee: Your remark that "a truly small wardrobe has become less important to me" intrigues me; my own experience is an ebb and flow. What I really wear is the same roughly 20 pieces in a season, not including sleepwear or exercise clothes.
Marishka said…
Too many capsules, ha ha ha! That makes this as good a time as any to say, your writing is fantastic! The topics are wonderful but the writing keeps me coming back.
Hummingbird5 said…
Uniform is more appealing to me than capsule. *I* chose the elements for my uniform, and that feels more interesting. Once I get my uniform right, it makes me happy for the whole season and beyond!
Duchesse said…
Marishka: Thank you, especially now, when it is harder to write in semi-isolation.

Hummingbird5: You nailed the big difference: who chooses. This is a sartorial equivalent of Weight Watchers vs Jenny Craig. I appreciated the former because I got to choose, other women preferred that the decision was made by someone else. And some years I just can’t enjoy trying to find a new (but essentially the same) v-neck with just the right v.
Yes, I haven't looked at Vivienne files for a while; will do.

In Canada, I find that Simons has good quality organic cotton and supima cotton (some a bit glacé) tees for a good price (remember prices are in CDN $$). https://www.simons.ca/simons/search/search.jsp?Dy=1&Nty=1&Ntt=t-shirt+supima But some are very ample this season and those don't suit everyone.

One thing I will never own as long as I have black cats is a white tee!
Hummingbird5 said…
"...trying to find a new (but essentially the same) v-neck with just the right v." You cracked me up, Duchesse...and described my sartorial life.
Laura J said…
Hummingbird5: that perfect pistachio linen shirt and white turtleneck....😂😂😂
Hummingbird5 said…
Right on, Laura J. Someday we'll find them??
Duchesse said…
LauraJ and Hummingbird5: What, no personal assistant?

The posts with the most