Three women walk into a pearl sale

Over the summer, Kojima Pearl Company ran a tempting sale with new items added regularly. Every week, I'd eye the alluring choices. Apparently I was not alone! 

Several readers sent photos. LauraH chose this pair of earrings, glowy whites in a gold starburst setting. I love how they could be from any era from the '60s to now. (An oxidized silver version is here.) 


A few weeks later, LauraJ scooped up a purple, bronze and silver 32 in. rope (there is still one on the site) to wear with her summer linen dress, and beyond. Look at that graceful clasp and fuchsia knots!


I dreamed and dithered all summer, as possibilities flew off to other necks, other countries. Le Duc saw my indecision; I'd ask, "This... or this?" but would hold off. I veered between wanting to support small businesses I admire, and being very careful with spending.

He enjoys gems, especially on me (he was in the midst of a gemmology course when the pandemic hit), and wasn't pearl-blocked. He secretly sought Sarah's advice, asking for "something unusual".

I was delighted by both his heartfelt gesture and the pearls, an intensely-coloured circled Tahitian rope of mostly 7mm drops strung with tiny, sparkling tanzanite spacers. 

Below, left: Last Sunday evening at family dinner on the balcony (pearls, jeans, t-shirt, my favourite way to wear them), with with a Kojima custom pendant that's about thirteen years old; they also look good doubled. The 1 1/2 in. diameter silver Bud Hoops are made by Shirley Park.

At right: The natural colours dazzle in sunlight. Their drama lends more presence to the smaller mm size, which I appreciate because I can't wear a heavy piece for long. This one is really comfortable. 


Three women, three pearl pieces, and not one of them standard-issue. The lovely Lauras' pieces fit into the "Relaxed Real" category; as I said to one, "Why would anyone buy fakes, at this price?"

I can''t say how long this sale will run; Sarah's been exceptionally generous with the duration. She knows that these natural, sustainable gems lift the spirits—whether your own or a beloved's.





Comments

Anonymous said…
Gorgeous Tahitians! And theY look fantastic on you!

Lauraj
Anonymous said…
LauraH: great earring. They are truly a timeless and elegant design. Suitable with jeans or cocktail dress. Lauraj
spacegeek33 said…
You temptress you! I am not wearing much jewelry stuck at home in my dining room in front of my laptop for days on end. However I have 3 (4?) pieces from Sarah and adore her whimsy and design. I suppose I'll go take another look.
Jane in London said…
That necklace of yours is stunning, and the colour tone is lovely on you.

Jane in London
LauraH said…
Both ropes are gorgeous. Love the fuchsia knots and the tanzanite spacers, they add that extra wow. And the colours of the pearls are amazing. I’m tempted to look at Kojima again😊


Leslie M said…
A sneaky beloved and Sarah in cahoots is a special combination. They are lovely on you. I believe we have seen that pendant before; a very versatile piece. Glad to hear he wasn’t pearl blocked.
Abigail said…
The color in your pearls and the luster! Oh, my!
This is something I have been considering for a while. I am 72. I wear lots of different shades of blues and turquoise and often choose those colors for scarves. Please look at it and give me your opinion. https://judimccormickjewelry.com/collections/tahitians/products/tahitian-keshi-pearls-and-black-opal-necklace-1
Duchesse said…
Leslie M: Yes, I wear that pendant with all kinds of necklaces and also a silver chain.

Abigail: That is a beautiful and unusual combination! Plus, Judi McCormick is one of the very few who 'gets' clasps, lavishing as much attention on them as on other elements. If you think you would want to wear it doubled, just check that this length will in fact double comfortably on your neck. If you need more length, she might be able to add it. Some women need 34 in. or more, it depends on your build. With a 30-day full refund option, you could see it on yourself.
Abigail said…
Thank you for your suggestions. I think it would be too short to double, but I need to check again on where it will fall as a single. I had not considered that it possibly could be altered!

The posts with the most