Carrie and crossbodies

"I like Carrie Mathison. I love Claire Danes. I detest cross-body purses. "
- Sarah Miller, "Look America, No Hands", New York Times

Miller writes about Danes' character's signature bag for fieldwork, but is scathing about them on a woman without CIA cred: "Good bags elevate the beauty of women onscreen and in person, whereas cross-body bags erase, with their placement on the body, all beauty, all sexuality, all sensuality, all grace, all style, all life." 

My response is, Fine; don't wear one. I place crossbodies in the same category as rubber boots: they say, I do have a life, and in my life I do stuff. Security is a bonus. Carrying a handbag with a teeny arc-handle that forces you to give up the use of one hand is as oppressive as 4-inch stilettos. 

Because nearly all crossbodies are made with adjustable straps, they are simply smallish shoulder bags that can be worn diagonally. All the luxury handbag designers acknowledge that there are times when you just need two hands free.

A selection from some luxury makers:



Clockwise from upper left:
Gucci Soho Disco
Saint Laurent Lou
Stella MacCartney Perforated Vegetarian Leather
Loewe Medium Bucket Bag

Carrie's crossbodies are utilitarian, but there is a whole different world once you don't have to leap across rooftops. I would put this red Blythe crossbody by Ferian up against any hand-held bag for elegance, so disagree with Miller's charge of the erasure of beauty.




There is that boob bifurcation; its prominence depends on one's build. If you're wearing one without a coat, you could choose the shoulder bag option. But then again, the designers above have no problem styling bags with the strap running diagonally across the body.  

Crossbodies are also tough on delicate knits; the abrasion creates pills. They ride much better over a clothes like Carrie wore in the field, tightly-woven jackets or a coat.

What do I feel resoundingly negative about, as intensely as Miller? A few things, and so what? No one requires I adopt enormous plastic banana clips, piecrust collared-blouses, or neon. It has been well over a half-century since I have been persuaded to wear what I hated (pink gingham, Mom). 

A few friends and Le Duc disliked specific pieces: an enormous and shaggy fake-fur coat, a Madonna-inspired getup of yellow leggings and distressed-lace sweatshirt, a pair of balloon pants that made me look like I should pull a trumpet out of them. But I had fun in those getups, and survived to laugh about it.

(Spoiler alert!) In the finale of "Homeland" we see Claire Danes as Carrie, soignée and radiant at an elegant concert hall, where I imagined meeting her and Sarah Miller at the champagne bar.

In this gilded setting, I'd toast both, and open my crossbody to treat them.


Comments

Laura J said…
Now, if women’s clothing had more puckers! Especially inner pockets on coats.
Crossbody bags are sleeker than pack packs, generally, and much better than the tensing action one often needs to keep your shoulder bag on. I do have problems in summer if I don’t have a collared shirt or scarf with the strap being slightly irritating
I have one of these, small, in cherry red. Much more practical than a shoulder bag walking or cycling, and can hold both a water bottle and cheese, wine and other victuals. Plenty of inside pockets. Mine is in "distressed nylon" and machine washable on gentle. Bought as Jet-Setter.
https://www.ameribag.com/ameribag-classic-healthy-back-bag-tote-microfiber-small-misty-blue-.html
LauraH said…
I guess Sarah Miller doesn't do much travelling. Cross bodies are the only practical way to carry your daily stuff safely and easily when in another city / country.

That red bag you show is lovely. Leather looks good but is too heavy for me now. My fave is made by Kipling, all those compartments keep me organized. For years I've been looking for a summer style cross body, something light weight but tough that looks like straw/rattan, for warm weather travel.
Jumpringer said…
Amen! I too love crossbody bags. I am having trouble finding a more refined version in leather; small, flattish without obvious designer initials, logos, etc. Would love a vertical rectangle shape, like a camera bag. Actually, the Blythe comes close to that!
I need a slightly larger bag, also very plain, and not as boxy as a camera bag. They have to work walking, cyling and travelling (if only!) I no longer buy new leather bags, though I do sometimes buy leather shoes and booties for orthopedic reasons.
Gretchen said…
Count me in the pro-crossbody camp as well. The joy of wearing what I want, without any pretense of worrying if it is “correct” these days, is an unforeseen benefit. Someone in my neighborhood made a slightly snide comment this summer that “I had my jewelry on” to work from home. I consider it as essential as a mask! Why save it? Especially as I cannot really wear the many lip prints I manage to find in every bag, coat pocket, and random drawer in my home....
Gretchen said…
Make that lip products-thank you, autocorrect.
Marishka said…
I have NO idea where she’s coming from. Some women may recall “shoulder” bags were originally long enough to be worn hanging from one shoulder *or* across, “messenger” style, as needed. In the 80s (or so), handbag straps became longer, like tote bags, and were then termed “shoulder” bags, as the body of the bag did tuck up under the arm. I see today’s “crossbodies” as descended from disco tiny bags, and then enlarging, returning to the original vision of shoulder bags. [Anyone remember the clips for pinning to coats to hold the bag in place on one side?]
Let it be noted that in the late forties, maybe beyond, crossbody style bags were considered very sexy, not at all unfeminine. Kind of like the TV character.
Beth said…
I couldn't function without my crossbody bags.
Sue Nations said…
I don’t love crossbody bags, but there is a time and a place for them. When I need to move quickly with both hands free. When I need the security of my bag in front of me. And now, recovering from a pinched nerve in my back and needing something light to hold the necessities. And I think Clare looks great with hers.
Anonymous said…
I read that in the NYT and thought she was nuts. I love cross body bags. I need to have both hands free when I’m out and about.
Wendy said…
Hear! Hear! Crossbody bags are simply more practical than one held in the hand. Except for the very rare fancy event, I never carry anything else. I detest big designer logos, so have been carrying a small Tignanello bag for several years now. My favorite feature is the built-in wallet in a zippered compartment I wear against my body. It lessens the weight on my shoulders and back, a big win in my book. Maybe it’s time for me to look around for one in red!
materfamilias said…
Completely with you! Although I’ve even been finding a cross-body bothersome for my shoulders and generally wear a backpack purse (M0851’s very light leather, big enough for a book or even my laptop if necessary, but I try to keep contents to minimum if I’m walking more than 5k.)

I find that kind of vehement condemnation of a style or accessory or garment one doesn’t like so very ageing. It always reminds me of a friend of my mother’s rudely commenting on how ugly my (beautiful to me, at 17!) bronze platform shoes (with chunky 4-inch heels) were. ..
Duchesse said…
All: When we use words like "need", "couldn't function"and "practical" I believe the jury is in!

materfamilias: Now that I am probably older than your mother's friend, I keep my opinion unspoken, at least to the wearer (but my comments are more likely about safety than aesthetics). I do catch myself saying, "Won't you be cold in this?" when the 17 year old niece of a neighbour shows up in tiny skirt, no tights. I realize a sign of being in the grandmother generation is the unwillingness to suffer for fashion.
Laura J said…
Just to whine a tiny bit— I my usual x-body is now slightly too small because old eyes sunglasses and hand sanitizer, extra mask make for a tight fit!
Jane in London said…
To my mind, cross body bags are both necessary and chic! When I last visited my sister in Paris (pre-covid) I noticed that many women sported the combo of a small quilted leather cross body (holding valuables) and a larger hand-held bag.

Here in London, I favour a larger bag that can be hand-held but with a clip-on strap to convert it to a cross body.

Important proviso: The attachments for the strap must be properly sited at each end of the bag, making it balanced and proportionate. Some bags require you just clip the strap onto the metal handle fixings, causing it to behave like a sort of pendulum - an abomination, imho...

If, say, going out to dinner with girlfriends, I will wear my bag cross body during the walk to the tube and the journey. Then I unclip the strap and pop it into the bag as I approach the restaurant. The process is reversed for the journey home - secure, comfortable and easy!

I also have a couple of informal cross body leather bags for use in the country. What other type of bag would one use in the country!?
Wendelah said…
I love my crossbody bags. I can't imagine life without them, especially now.

The posts with the most