'Your' scent: Secret or shared?

Le Duc and I invited neighbours I'll call "Louis" and "Anne" to dinner recently, because they were in the midst of a drawn-out renovation. For months, they had had no real kitchen, so we thought they would like a break from the hot plate.

That evening, Anne arrived wearing a chic blurry-floral linen dress, but what I noticed first was her perfume. If it were a piece of music, it would be a sarabande, baroque, elegant and lively. I told her it was wonderful.

Here's the next bit of conversation:

Anne: "Thank you. It's a funny story. My sister received a bottle from her boyfriend for her twenty-fifth birthday but she didn't like how it smelled on her, so gave it to me. I've worn nothing else for almost forty years."

Duchesse:"Mmm, I can see why! It suits you perfectly. Lots of flowers, but also orange, perhaps. Is it French?"

Anne: "No. But I love wearing only one perfume, it simplifies my life."

I heard her deflection and knew I had a choice: badger ("So, Anne, what is this?)" or drop it. I did not pursue the matter, but wondered, Why is this secret? I'll tell anyone who asks or even mentions that they enjoy my fragrance. I was reminded of Jackie Kennedy, who said that she was captivated by her mother-in-law's perfume, but Rose Kennedy would never say what she wore. (Guerlain's "Liu".)

What explains Anne's reticence? Perhaps she does not want anyone else wearing "her" fragrance; perhaps she wishes to keep her beauty secrets to herself.

In the window, thanks to myself and others, four signatures, fully disclosed:

Field Notes from Paris (Ineke)

Last spring, I ordered a 1ml decant from perfumeniche, based on Gwen's review. I swooned for all of one minute and by minute two could barely discern it, thanks to my age-related anosmia for certain notes.

I gave that decant to Beth, who fell hard for the unusual accord and is fond of tobacco-flower notes. On her, it has presence yet is discreet enough to wear just to feel good. I'm not sure she'll adopt "Field Notes" as her sole scent, but talk about a delicious match!

Beth ordered the Discovery Set #7 from the San Francisco-based Ineke and kindly reciprocated by giving me one, "Jaipur Chai"; which is, as I told her, my cup of tea. Whether Beth wishes to edit her fragrance wardrobe or not, "Field Notes" will always remind me of her, and likely stay that way, because Ineke is a tiny house, and not sold here.


L'Air de Rien (Miller Harris)


Mine, mine, mine—and also Jane Birkin's, who created it with Lyn Harris of Miller Harris. I sampled it at least a dozen years ago and thought, Meh. Somewhere, I read a raptorous review and ordered a decant from perfumeniche. Not forty-eight hours later I was back for more.

When the wee vials were drained, I tried to buy a bottle from MH only to find they had discontinued it. A kind friend heard my dismay and gave me her two-thirds-full bottle, what an angel! 

Somehow the scent sneaks past my anosmia, to wrap me like an old cashmere throw. This summer, Miller Harris reissued "L'Air de Rien"; I ordered immediately. Gwen said that sometimes companies temporarily retire fragrances because the ingredients are unavailable, so it's worth keeping an eye on their releases.

Samples (2ml) as well as bottles are sold on Miller Harris' site; it is also available from decant sellers such as Surrender to Chance. (A mitten clap to StC for offering many sizes of decants.)


Une Rose/Rose Tonnere (Frédéric Malle)



Sometimes I can 'read' a signature immediately. A woman in my building stepped onto the elevator with me, phone in hand. My words were spontaneous; I said, "'Une Rose!", because this rose fragrance is unlike any other: redolent of rich, heady Turkish rose, but also its leaves, and earth— the entire complexity of living plant is present. She said, "Toujours!" 

You can order a decant here. Originally released as "Une Rose", it was renamed "Rose Tonnere" in 2021. Malle is a luxury perfumer, so, this is a signature written with a gold pen, but a few drops will do.


Johnsons' Baby Powder


Nearly every morning, a woman on my floor trails a sillage of baby powder from her door to the elevator. She is in her sixties, super-fit, and always in activewear. If I try, I can follow that gentle rose-jasmin-iris accord to her parking spot. There is no powder residue, though, so maybe she buys Demeter's "Baby Powder" cologne. 

A "signature scent" does not mean it broadcasts from across a room. Out of consideration for those sensitive to scent, or because of personal preference, some women have chosen transparent, minimalist scents that do not project any more than subtly-scented laundry soap.

So what in the world was Anne wearing? I feel like Selena Gomez' character, Mabel, in "Only Murders in the Building", except I'm on the trail of a scent.

"For nearly 40 years" takes us to the mid-'80s. Do the circumstances reveal clues? Sister was twenty-five, with a serious beau. He probably bought his gift from a department store counter; niche fragrances were largely unknown. The effect is womanly rather than girly, the style that of an upscale American brand. 


Could it be this?

If I had to place a bet, I'd say this is Estée Lauder "Beautiful", which came out in 1985, a lush, yellow-flower bouquet, graceful and memorable. "Beautiful" has a reputation as a bride's fragrance, which may have been his intent—he is now Anne's brother-in-law. 

Signatures can come and go—the composition or your life changes—and even the environment affects what feels right. Roxanne, devoted to Jo Malone "Lime and Basil and Mandarin", spritzed hers while hermetically sealed in by the pandemic, and said, "Moving on". For the past year, she has been auditioning replacements. 

A signature does not have to be worn to the exclusion of everything else, but it is the one that, if you had to give up a row of bottles, you would keep; the one that whispers your name to intimates.

Whatever Anne had chosen has traversed the decades elegantly. I said to Le Duc, "Maybe when she learns I am a perfume-lover, she'll tell me what this is." And I would solemnly swear to never wear it.

If you have a signature scent, please tell us about it, by name or at least drop a solid hint. How did you discover yours? How long have you worn it?

If looking, enjoy the search. When you find a favourite, you will feel its perfection from head to toe.

 

 


 


Comments

Anonymous said…
As a child I remember my daddy being very sensitive to fragrance and we always had to change seats if a woman came into church wearing a "loud" perfume. I only wear D&G Light Blue - a soft, not "loud" fragrance.
Anonymous said…
As a child I remember my daddy being very sensitive to fragrance and we always had to change seats if a woman came into church wearing a "loud" perfume. I only wear D&G Light Blue - a soft, not "loud" fragrance.
susan said…
this post makes me a bit sad cuz i am fragrance sensitive and use unscented products always. wish i could have a signature scent but it's just not possible.

one of the sweetest things my mother ever did for me revolved around fragrance. i used to love her scent when i was a child. her signature was guerlain's l'heure bleu. when i developed my allergy as a teen she just quietly stopped wearing perfume. it took me a while to notice the change but when i did i was very touched.
Vancouver Barbara said…
Ombre Rose was a favourite for many years. Then The Bay stopped carrying it. I bought it once in Paris, a friend brought it once from Paris but it wasn't the same as when I first smelled it. The designer Jean Jacques Brossard had changed the formulation and it lost its magic for me. I found a bottle much later -- they had reverted to the original recipe and I was happy again. Now I understand they have gone out of business. It was so beautiful. Now I wear Florida water from Peru. It's something men would have patted on their faces after being shaved by a barber. It's also something the shamans of Peru use to cleanse a space. It's very lovely. I have a Peruvian friend who brings me a bottle from time to time after a visit to Peru. I think there are different formulations but I prefer the original.
Vancouver Barbara said…
Vancouver is a very anti-scent town. It seems everyone is allergic to something or ultra sensitive to perfumes. I don't know how the perfumeries do it these days. Nevertheless I am intrigued by your post today and will order two decants. Because I love the bottle of Field Notes from Paris, I'll order one of those and the other is the Rose parfum. Perhaps I'll love it as much as my old Ombre Rose. Thank you. And I hope you drum up the courage to ask "Anne" the name of her scent.
Laura J said…
I periodically explore new scents but always circle back to Voyage. My signature for at least 20 years
Martina said…
I've been wearing Jo Malone Blush Suede and Peony for a few years...it just makes me feel good!
noreen said…
I seem to have a different perfume for each decade of my life. the current one is artemisia by Penhaligons, In the past there has been Rive Gauche, floris limes.. when i smell one it takes me back to that era. i do like floral scents but with something added.
Beth said…
I was a Shalimar girl, starting 40 years ago, but when it was time to replace, the formulation had been changed. After lots of experimenting (thanks to Duchesses!) there are many contenders but I'm delighted to be wearing Field Notes from Paris these days, having missed my chance to buy a full bottle of Hiram Green's Shangri-La. Even so, this Ineke fragrance seems more appropriate as an all-day scent. I also really like "Deering-Do", another in that same sampler.
Anonymous said…
Growing up south of San Francisco, my first perfume was Love’s Baby Soft in the teddy bear shape bottle. Then while at University, I switched to Lauren, that rich burgundy bottle. Once married in the 90’s, I switched to Amazing Grace in a roller bottle. Then the marriage drifted apart and I stopped wearing anything. However, this post reminded me of my grandmothers and how they had a signature scent and I always smelled it when hugging them. Now, on my own, I wish to find a signature scent for me to feel beautiful in. Thank you for such an inspiring post. A 50+ woman in HI, USA.
Gerd said…
"Borneo 1834" and "Féminité du Bois" in wintertime and "Fleurs d' Oranger" in summer, all from Serge Lutens.
Every few years I go to the shop in Paris (what a great shop is it!!) to buy new bottles. An experience I would't miss. I live in Belgium so the trip by TGV is really doable.

Other favorites are "Passage d 'Enfer" (l'Artisan Parfumeur), "Carnal Flower" (Frédéric Malle) and "Timbuktu" (l'Artisan Parfumeur).
Susan said…
I would like to wear perfume. I admire scent on other women and men too. I find pretty scents at the counter but they don't seem to stay true on my skin and many just end up annoying me and give me a headache. Is it just a matter of finding the right perfume or do you think some people can't/ shouldn't wear perfume due to body chemistry?
Duchesse said…
Anonymous @ 8:47/8:48: Light scents are better for wearing in public, for obvious reasons. I too like "Blue". I am happy that you commented but ask that persons using the Anonymous feature still sign with a name, whether your actual name or a screen name.

Woman in HI: A woman on a scent blog said she had been invited to her eight-year-old grandson's birthday party in another city, and wanted to surprise him so she hid in the basement, planning to jump out at the party. But he arrived home from school, and said, "Is Granny here? I smell her perfume!"

Vancouver Barbara: I have posted before on all-natural scents, and you can find quite a number of these online, though the department store counters are behind in their carrying them. Order a few all-naturals from perfumeniche (Gwen will assist) or another decant store. I respect the "No Scent Allowed" request but if I don't see it and I am attending an event like a concert, I wear one of the naturals.

Susan: "Many" annoy you, and end up giving you a headache. You may want to learn more about the top, middle and basenotes that compose these perfumes you cannot wear, so research the perfume on sites like Basenotes or Fragrantica, which list the composition. You will probably find a "culprit", a note like vanilla or indolic notes like tuberose or gardenia that turn cloying on you. Try some from entirely different scent "families" like aquatic scents. Don't spray yourself at a fragrance counter, it's too limited, and don't buy bottles. Buy 1ml decants from a place like perfumeniche.com or one based in your country. Take notes of your impression of the scent. The initial blast is not the actual scent, it will open and develop.

Body chemistry will make a scent different on you than on someone else, so other than noting the overall style (e.g., an oriental, a spicy floral, an aquatic), don't go by others' reviews.

Gerd: Le Duc calls that Lutens boutique "church". I also like the Malle boutique with the scent kiosks. I envy you being so close to fantastic fragrance shopping. (We also enjoy Lubin.)


Jane in London said…
How I enjoy your perfume posts! I have been pretty flighty over the years when it comes to perfumes, and can't imagine being entirely faithful to just one scent.

I remember that my mother wore Madame Rochas for most of her life. Then my sister bought her a bottle of Caleche when she was in her 70s, and she switched to that. Unfortunately, I really dislike the smell of Caleche so that was quite a challenge. When dementia made my mother unusually frank in her last years, she told me she hated Caleche too, but had been wearing it for years so as not to offend my sister! I gave her some Eau Dynamisante as a substitute, and everyone was happy.

I adore Prada Infusion D'iris, but sadly it does not stay on me and I would have to souse myself in it for there to be any discernable scent after 30 minutes. I am truly sad about this because, imo, it is a really beautifully constructed iris scent.

I'm currently wearing L'Interdit (the standard one in summer, but I've started wearing the Noir Intense version now it's autumn). I love the smell, and I've had several enquiries about it. Unlike your visitor, I'm always happy to share :) It suits me at the moment, but of course there'll soon come a time when when my head will be turned by a tantalising whiff and I'll stray...
Allison said…
A lot of ‘old’ favourites(Chanel 19) have been redesigned for the modern market and it seems neroli is the smell du jour, it smells ‘powdery old lady’ on even young women. If you stand in a shopping mall (especially during the holidays) the ubiquitous smell of neroli will assault the nostrils. Last year I actually stopped a young woman and gushingly complimented her on the fabulous scent she was wearing (whilst trying not to gag) Unlike your reticent friend she was more than willing to over share..Viktor & Rolfe’s Flower Bomb Nectar..Even a Jo Malone Basil and Neroli sample garnered me the ‘please throw that away’ from my husband and super nez: M. 26. He dabbles part time in retail and reports ‘Mom there are some female shoppers who wear something like that, it’s nauseating.’ (Basil & Neroli) He tells me a Montréal friend ended an affair with a young woman because ‘she smelled bad’. Not as in unwashed but as in over scented and she refused to change ‘her’ scent for love!! He still cannot believe his father had the audacity to gift me, on my nineteenth birthday with a bottle of Chanel 19. ‘What if you had hated it??’ Well, I guess I would have returned it and kept him, but I kept both;)
Duchesse said…
Jane in London:Your mother's story that is touching, a bit melancholy, and ultimately uplifting. Caleche has been mangled over the past twenty years, one clunky reformulation to the next. I really like the idea of wearing seasonal versions of a favourite scent, or flankers, sometimes better for summer, sometimes a fun change that still retains the fragrance's heart.

Allison: Flower Bomb is the Poison of 2022.

At one point his lover's fragrance did not make your son's friend keep his distance, but storm clouds gather when one party tries to mess with the other party's identity. I would also wonder if it was over-application or the actual scent he did not like.

When we met, Le Duc asked me to expand my perfume wardrobe from my then-signature (Lancome "Magie Noir") because he wanted give me perfumes, he's always had a deep appreciation for perfumery—.and I saw a great opportunity there ;)

That's quite a young man to give you such an elegant fragrance at 19!
E E Deere said…
This is fun.
Once, my dad returned from a trip, and had brought back scents that appealed to him. He told me I could pick what I liked.I chose "First" by Van Cleef & Arpels.
I suspect the formulation has changed a little over time. But I still like to return to it, and I always get compliments.
And if someone asks the name, I tell them!
Lynn H said…
My first bottle of perfume , at age 16, was a gift from a young man about two years older than me. Our families attended the same (large ) church but that was as much as I knew about him. One Sunday afternoon he appeared at our house with a gift for me. His family had just gotten back from a trip to Paris and he had brought me a bottle of Carven’s Ma Griffe. I was surprised and confused as I really did not know him. I did like the perfume , but sadly, it is no longer made.

Other perfumes I love are Goutal’s Heure Exquise , Givenchy’s Irresistible and Balenciaga. Heure Exquise is the one I get asked about constantly and I am happy to tell the name!

Duchesse, I really appreciate knowing about the decant sizes as it’s always fun to try new scents before committing to the purchase of a larger size.
Duchesse said…
E E Deere: Good for you, for disclosing, "First" is a classic and you can find it on discount sites because so many people are chasing the latest hot fragrance. You might enjoy this info on its reformulation: https://colognoisseur.com/tag/van-cleef-arpels-first/

Lynn H: What a gesture! My sister wore Ma Griffe and I still remember it as a totally 'green' scent that I could never "borrow" because the theft was so apparent. The oakmoss ban killed it.
Mary said…
I don't wear a fragrance these days, but for many years I wore Clinique Aromatics Elixir. I was careful to apply it lightly, but people did notice it and began to associate that scent with me. One particularly funny moment occurred when I paid a surprise visit to my oldest son’s family. Mom and Dad knew I was flying in, but the two grandchildren didn’t. They were at school when I arrived, so when it was time for them to come home, I hid in the coat closet thinking I would surprise them. However, my grandson, about ten years old at the time, no sooner stepped in the front door than he called out, “Meme is here!” Sensitive nose, that one.

On the other hand, when my daughter, in her 30s, was reflecting on her childhood/teen years, she told me that whenever I was away on business travel (frequently), she would often go to my scarf drawer and put her face in to breathe in my fragrance and feel my presence. Poignant moment for me.
Duchesse said…
Mary: That's exactly what a signature scent does, summons you. Two delightful stories. I have always had a bottle of Clinique Aromatics, even when I could barely afford only the teeny bottle. It is distinctive even today.
Diane said…
Many years ago (40?) my husband was on a business trip and they were offering samples of a new perfume, Christian Dior’s Poison. He brought me a bottle and it’s been my go-to since. Once had a man follow me off an elevator, embarrassing himself greatly, because he loved the scent. My sixteen year old grandson always says, “Grandma has the best perfume!” After forty- seven years of marriage, my husband died last week, I will wear Poison to his funeral. I think it will always be a comfort as it holds so many treasured memories.
Roussette said…
I have worn Philosykos by Diptyque for many years as my signature, dipping into others from time to time, a fresh citrus for summer or something warmer for winter evenings (Liz Earle no 15 is also a favourite) but always returning to Philosykos. When my children were younger and went to stay with their father and his new family, my daughter would take a scarf of mine sprinkled with the scent, and was upset on one return when I didn’t smell of it … always happy to tell the name.
Duchesse said…
Diane: Your gesture reveres those years of memories. I am very sorry you lost your husband and do hope that the scent brings comfort.

I was about to write in the original post that if you love a scent and it just happens to be "the must-have" of a year or two, stick with it, as most people move on, lured by variety. "Poison" is a perfect example. It's also one that perfume haters often cite as "too strong"—but I blame teenagers who sometimes don't realize that multiple sprays are indeed too much.

Roussette: I adore Phylosykos and have a bottle just waiting to be cracked. IMO by far the best of all fig scents, infinitely flexible, and unusual as not a floral. Yours and others' stories of the link between us and scent underscores not only the strong link between smell and memory, but the comfort that link can deliver. You probably know it comes as a solid perfume, too, wonderful for travel. Figuier closet-scent 'stones' on a cord and Figuier room spray make luxurious gifts.
Bea from Sydney said…
Mmmmmm! Perfumes, delight...
I have been wearing Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien since I was 16. Don't always wear it but come back to it often after wearing a few of my seasonal "satellites". I tend to wear Hadrien's citruses in the hot weather and things like Chantecaille's Frangipane in our never ending, cold, rainy, 2 and a half year australian winter. I like to say that Hadrien is brulant de fraicheur.
I am a big fan of who Annick as she instilled a lot of her class and pedigree into her creations. I was surrounded by her fragrances growing up as a lot of elegant mothers of school mates would wear Goutal often. They are my teenage years, 90's Paris in bottles.
One thing I have thoroughly craved for during lockdowns was to go fragrance window licking! Visit perfume counters and explore. As I have been doing more of that lately, I have realised how trendy (read gimmicky) perfumes are at the moment and there is nothing I fancy.
By the way, a quick complain: who thought at Fragonard's that it was a good idea to discontinue Figuiers Fleurs (delightful on my husband, a day at the beach somewhere in the Med... On opening the bottle, I can hear, smell, see and feel the soft lapping of the water on a hot and iodine day) and replace it with something vaguely figuy utterly banal?? Bring it back. Stomp, stomp.
E E Deere said…
Thank you so much for the link to the information about First's reformulation. You are so clever and savvy about these things! I am delighted to have this information.
I'll shop around and see about prices, thanks for that suggestion too.
E E Deere
Duchesse said…
Bea from Sydney: The Goutal in-store boutiques were gold-and-cream havens, so different from the shocking pink and lime green schemes of other brands of the '80s, or the austerity of, say, Chanel. The house is many women's first experience of the ethereal, elegant and (for the '80s) discreet scents, in direct contrast with the blockbusters such as "Giorgio".

re your husband, one idea is to order a number of decants, perhaps as a gift, and invite him to sample them. The fig fragrance Roussette mentions, Diptyque "Phylosykos" can be worn easily by me; he could also try Carner Barcelona's relatively new "Fig Man" and L'Artisan Parfumeur "Premier Figuier".

E E Deere: There are many excellent perfume blogs and newsletters, once you learn to distinguish the ones shilling for a brand or money or swag, versus the true scent lovers. (It's pretty obvious.) I especially like "Now Smell This".

The posts with the most