Buy and Hold: The jacket in the closet

 Mr. Buffet returns, to give us counsel: "Inflation swindles the person who keeps their cash under their mattress. It swindles almost everybody." 

Even Iris, long on first-name basis with the Prada sales staff, says, "The price of clothes is just crazy!"  In light of that, the seasonal closet rotation changes. The deliberation to keep or replace is more closely-considered when buying power is melting like a popsicle. Avoid short-lived trends, high-maintenance fabrics, and brands that market their goods as 'minimalist' but in fact what is minimal is quality. (Looking at you, Everlame.)

In the face of inflation, a non-'"officy" jacket that can be worn as light outerwear and also indoors is a good bet to buy, or if you own one, to view with renewed appreciation. 

Women are chary of buying jackets now, given a few years of housebound dressing.  Therefore, they are seriously on sale at various price points. Those in today's windows may be s/o given such reductions, but can serve as examples. 

If you're heading into a seasonal closet review, they also illustrate the keepers.

Idea #1: A tailored non-blazer


Nili Lotan cotton-blend twill jacket in sand, on The Outnet; sale price (very limited sizes) $US 292, which is 55% off. 

Idea #2: Supple, citified corduroy

Helmet Lang's forest green corduroy jacket is another stellar example; look at that sleeve! Also on The Outnet; price, $US 238, a 55% reduction. 


Idea #3: A shirt-jacket with character

The Madewell Branner shirt-jacket of double-faced waffle cotton (cool-cycle washable, hang to dry) in a hickory windowpane check. This is versatile but not obdurately generic (and the pickets match!),  a suggestion for a commenter who wondered what to wear when newly-retired.  The price was $US 44, a 50% reduction.  


"I already have a good blazer!"

What do you do with a classic blazer that fits you neatly? The secondhand racks are stuffed with them, but reflexively pitching yours could be rash. Often, a stored jacket only needs professional pressing. (Wire hangers are the worst; they impart the dreaded 'store shoulder' bump. You can find shoulder-shaper hangers at Ikea, online vendors, and thrifts. Some high-end dry cleaners send jackets back on them.)

In the window below, two versions of the classic menswear piece: J. Crew wool Regent blazer in camel and Arket dark beige wool hopsack blazer

The J. Crew stylist introduces a a scoopneck tee to soften the jacket; at Arket, right, two lime greens provide arresting contrast.  



A fresh look for a navy blazer: one in jersey, like White Stuff's at Marks & Spencer, more casual than wool, and washable.



You probably already have the blouse or tee, fresher than a traditional oxford-cloth.  



Left: trèsnormale "Toyko" tee
Top right, Part Two blue square print cotton tee  
Bottom right: J. Crew zebra stripe cotton gathered scoopneck  

Sometimes, though, the answer really is to get rid of a jacket. If you have dropped sizes, the tailoring required may not be worth the price. And time may have changed your needs; women whose lives will not be office-centric may have way too many than they need now.

Once prices rise, they don't go down again. Most of us wonder, When will we actively resist higher prices?  Shoppers are already sending the message, "Right about now", as jobbers' warehouses overflow with a glut of merchandise.

It's time to benefit from the "hold" part of "Buy and Hold".



 




Comments

Laura J said…
Jackets are a real challenge to buy…short not practical in windy cold fall weather but so often straight cut sides don’t work with female hips!
LauraH said…
Agree with LauraJ! The longer straighter cuts of the past few decades? are difficult on those of us with non-boyishly slim hips. I remember the shorter cuts of the past with great fondness. Of course I'm short waisted so that's a big factor too:-)

Re: jackets...I'll stick with what I have.
Leslie M said…
That corduroy jacket is beautiful, front and back. The sizing goes ALL THE WAY up to US size 8, so there’s that holding me back. 😏
I just bought a light colored jacket to wear outdoors in the cooler temps and dark evenings while I walk my COVID cat on a leash. I thought she would want to stay inside when the evenings cooled, but she’s still raring to go and I need to be visible.
I paid $53 for it at REI (coat not cat) and was surprised to see the retail on the tag was $175! Bargains are definitely out there.
Jane in London said…
Echoing some of the other comments, I find tailored jackets less than flattering on me these days. Your choices are much more versatile, of course. I was immediately attracted to the classic J Crew blazer - perfect colour and just the sort of style I used to enjoy wearing, even down to the upturned collar! Sigh.

Since retiring, I've not really wanted to wear 'smart' jackets as part of an outfit. I have two nice Jaeger jacket-length trenches (in camel and navy) which seem to work quite well for most things that need a smarter outer layer.
Bunny said…

Just finished my summer/winter clothing changeover. My review showed a definite need to refresh my jacket supply as my collection, basically leftovers from the last years of working, is looking a bit shop worn. I need toppers to wear inside the house or for a quick throw on for a Fall chill in the air. I have on my cutting table a heavy almost navy wool crepe and some various hand dyed pieces of wool to embellish with. It will have no closure, a shawl collar and interesting 7/8ths sleeves. It will be one of those fun, creative projects and will happen as soon as I finish a pair of much needed black knit pants. My pants need is mostly one of sizing and sewing black pants, while rather a dull endeavor, will fill an important void. A gorgeous rayon ponte will help. I don't know about you, Duchesse, but it is a big ritual with me to do two seasonal changeovers each year. I never bother with Spring and Fall. With our cold climate aren't there really just two seasons of clothing needed? I think the rest is just a matter of layers.

The posts with the most