Grooming: More or less?

Last week, I saw a Susanfriend, who finally drove in from the country after the past two years' restrictions. She, like so many Passage women, had changed her hair colour from a deep auburn-with-caramel-lowlights to natural grey. She looked fresher and more relaxed; the grey softened her features, her bob gleamed plushly. (She credits a root perm every few months, to add volume, not curl.) 

In the past two years, insistence on maintaining colour to one's last breath eased, assisted by required salon closures; at least five friends went from colour to grey. This is the newly-grey Elizabeth McGovern at the "Downton Abbey: A New Era" premiere; you can see the hint of her former honey brown in the chignon:  


I'm not saying it's for everyone—hair has a deep connection to identity—but as Susan observed, without the salon closure she would have trudged along with monthly colour and a drawerful of Root Rescue. "That appointment was an annuity for my stylist", said the retired banker.

Susan now does only what she finds restorative: a weekly salon shampoo (besides another friend's 90-year -old mother, she is the only woman among my friends who does this), and a facial when her skin looks tired. 

She told the aesthetician that she wanted to use no more than three skincare products on her face including sunblock, and bought what she recommended: LeRoche Posay Substiane Extra-Riche face cream, the brand's popular Anthelios SPF50 sunscreen (which she already uses) and Roseliac gel makeup remover. She mixes a few drops of Clinique "Sun-Kissed Face" bronzer into the face cream; it is the sole skin product retained from her old routine.

 

Not everyone has pared back. Lou, another of the pandemic greys, switched to a new stylist, figuring that a great cut was more important than ever.  

She booked cosmetic dentistry (diamonds may be forever but veneers are not) and took a makeup lesson to develop a streamlined routine and find good colours. Noticing how stiff she had become, the moment  gyms reopened, she booked sessions with a Pilates trainer. She got new glasses. Lou's rationale was that she had done nothing but sit home since 2020 and this was the moment. 

My lovely co-grandmother, Natasha, wanted a lift after a nasty bout with that virus. For her, "the moment" was created by her superb colourist, Kat McClelland, who added a blush pink overlay on her blonde hair. I saw her straight out of the salon and loved it; the colour is subtle, almost imperceptible in lower light, but softly pink in the sun. This is a semi-permanent product that will gradually fade over a month or so. 


I, though, was one of the downsizers. I went so long without a nail salon visit that I built the ambidexterity of a card magician, though a buffed nail is still my favourite. My go-to DIY mani is a sheer neutral from Essie's "Treat, Love and Colour" line, which needs no base coat and nourishes nails.

There is a limit to my skill, though; I'm relieved of all hubris by the designs Betina Goldstein creates for Chanel, on her Insta here. 

Peony manicure by Betina Goldstein, Instagram

Forced to learn to trim my hair, I can now can ride out a week or two if my popular stylist is fully booked. I threw out a basket of serum samples and lipstick hoarded since before climate change because the colour (Lancome Nude 4) was discontinued. Lipsticks are like bad boys—an attractive one always shows up if you're looking, and eventually they smell funky.

When I was a young woman, one of the most insulting things one could say was, "She's let herself go." But now, many of us have let a few things go and we're fine with it. Others, like Lou, have decided to lavish more resources on aspects they deem important, aesthetically and emotionally.

I'm curious about you: Doing more or doing less? What changes have you made?





Comments

susayoun said…
I'm another Susan and am doing more, and less, at the same time. I've returned to monthly pedicures and have now included a brow tint into my appointment. I have quarterly visits for medical laser to deal with age spots, and am a lot more diligent with the use of facial sunblock products after having discovered "mineral" vs. "chemical" sunscreen thanks to the medical esthetician's advice. I no longer have eye sting. My hair was already natural, but I've decided to have my stylist add in lowlites to my newly-short hair (less time required each day to maintain it) as I felt there was more white than I was ready for at the moment. It was a great time to review time/effort/cost related to all things related to personal care.
Allison said…
I stopped colouring my hair during the epidemic heyday. I was newly retired in late 2020, nothing was open and my accountant(husband) deemed that the retirement pensions and how they were being spent needed a review. $272.00 spent at the salon every two weeks was not going to make the cut. I found a new coiffeur closer by and an excellent stylist at less than half the cost. Dispensed with the two step colour but my hair is slow to grey so bonus there. I never gave up my pedicures as always managed to get in during loosening of restrictions. I did a major purge of the bathroom drawers (yes those samples and ‘bad boy’ lipsticks were shown the door). I keep the makeup to a minimum, concentrate on skincare while also restricting to three or four curated products and praise the universe for blessed genetics. Those genetics have, unfortunately cursed my hips so I will be double downing on Miranda Edmond-White’s Essentrics programs now that U have freed up some time and $.
Duchesse said…
susayoun: This is really interesting, a less/more approach that is more of a rethink than a reduction. Thank you!

Allison: Chuckled at your former salon bill. I do not believe there is a price/quality correlation in the world of salons. Most of the time when I paid that hefty amount I was paying for the rent on a chic street and the 'free' Americanos.
Roberta said…
I didn't get a haircut for more than a year during the pandemic - hard to imagine. On the recommendation of a friend, I went to one of those barbershop- style chains, and found someone who could give my hair a messy pixie, shaved in the back. That is my haircut for the rest of my life.

I retired a year ago, and immediately did two things. I bought a pool pass and I dyed my hair a dark blue. I never felt it was appropriate when I was working, but I love it, and based on the compliments I get, it really suits me. The color also adds volume to my thinning hair. 😒 However, the chlorine in the pool strips the color fairly quickly. So I now color it more often (myself), and with the deeper color I found I needed stronger make up. I invested in lipliners, brow mascara, and eye pencils. Small changes, but I think they really updated my look.
LauraH said…
I too didn't get a cut for almost 2 years. There was no hurry, I decided to live with the longer hair for a bit to see how I felt about it. Wavered back and forth a little then finally got a cut that shaped more than shortened. The cut takes advantage of my natural wave, it feels very easy and enjoyable. I just wash and comb. When I work in the garden I use a couple of old style combs and a spiral hair tie to keep it off my face. Never thought I would have hair this long again...a pleasant surprise. So more hair but doing less:-)

Makeup hasn't changed. Lipstick was and remains the main thing for me, it makes my face look more lively as my natural lip colour is very pale and washed out.
Jane in London said…
I think I am probably in the less + more space post-Covid, too.

I've given up my ruinous 3-4 times-a-year £150+ haircuts at a 'name' central London salon, and have gone for somewhat shorter layers done by a very good local stylist. I now go every 6 weeks, which keeps the cut much fresher.

I tend to wear my hair twisted into a casual chignon for everyday, but now like to wear it down when I go out for the evening and can achieve a nicely 'swishy' style myself (as taught by my new stylist!) with the aid of a handful of big velcro rollers on dry hair. I would never have bothered with rollers before, but the extra effort feels worth it for the morale boost.

As a big fan of grey hair (looks sophisticated, imo) I would not colour my hair and am content for it to go grey if it wants to.

I don't have professional manicures these days, but now spend much more time on hands and feet to keep them looking healthy and groomed. I use one coat of Dior Nail Glow, which looks just polished enough for me.

I also spend more time on my make-up than I used to, but that's mainly because I take a lot more trouble over technique in applying it to my older face. I don't wear much now, and must admit to having watched an awful lot of YouTube videos during lock-down on how to do the 'no make-up make-up' look. Thank God for Beauty Flash Balm, better than any primer for enabling the natural-looking application of base or concealer...


Jane in London
Allison said…
I need to correct what I wrote about my salon bill!! It was 272.00 every EIGHT weeks not two;) My ‘accountant’ might be talking to a divorce lawyer over that…Still too much ..yes no co relation between quality and cost. The current stylist runs a tiny salon with his wife as shampoo artist/receptionist in a newly gentrified area in the old west end of Ottawa. He was done with the downtown rents and his clients complaining about parking costs.
I was naturally auburn with pale freckled skin and hazel green eyes but that faded fast and I had been coloring my hair every 4 weeks for 30 plus years. I let it grow out in the pandemic and two years later I have SNOW WHITE hair with a bit of brownish grey in back.

I love it, but wouldn't without a good haircut and special products for frizz, shine and condition. No roots, no worries and haven't had this many compliments on my hair since I was a teenager. But it's a dramatic shift from a warm to a cool color palette and I'm just working my way through that.

Jewelry too is an issue - my warmer gold earrings don't look so good on me anymore. Silver, which I never wore before, looks much better. And pearls look great. I'm a minimalist with jewelry and I don't want to give up my gold pieces, all of which have great sentimental value. I'm thinking of the strategy of mixed metals - having one piece of mixed metals to tie the disparate bits together. I'd love some words of wisdom from our beloved Duchesse.
Duchesse said…
Roberta: You are one woman whom I wold love to see, with that dark blue hair. (It is not on your account photo but what an inspiration!)

Jane in London: I am learning so much for yours and others' comments. It's not so much about stopping this or that, but in really looking at ones' self, realistically but also in terms of what one enjoys. I don't mind doing my own manicures but a pedicure is so much better when a pro does it. Good for you for finding an excellent new stylist.

Allison: If it makes you feel better, I do know women in other large cities who spend that every couple of weeks... one says she is supporting not the stylist but the many young assistants.

Carolyn: I have some info for you but I no longer have your e-mail. Please use my address (under photo) so I can reply. I'd write a post on this but it's almost time to close the blog for the summer/
Wendy said…
I was once described by a (male) co-worker as being “very low maintenance”.
Pretty sure he didn’t mean it as a compliment, but it is the truth.I’ve never had a manicure or pedicure. (I don’t wear open-toe shoes.) My fingernails have always been thin\weak, so I keep them short.
I stayed out of the hair salon for nine months, and was surprised by how my shaggy, graying hair affected my mood. I’m back to highlights and occasional lowlights and regular trims. If my gray had been less patchy, I would have left it alone. I’ll try again in a couple years.
I struggle to find stylish clothing and shoes that fit, so I keep my wardrobe simple and prioritize hairstyle and splashy eyeglass frames. My only real change has been moving mascara from an everyday necessity to only for special occasions.I think I’m more focused now on the bits that make a difference in how I see myself and less on what others think.
Duchesse said…
Wendy: I wonder what level of maintenance your co-worker was ;) If you have great glasses you can bypass mascara, and if you wear sunglasses a lot, no one has any idea what's under there. Maintenance, whether for one's appearance, a car, a house... is just another term for repetitive work.
Jean Shaw said…
Duchesse, once again, your timing is perfect. I just had this conversation yesterday with my writing group (we meet via Zoom, so somehow the top of my head had gone unnoticed).

Hair: COVID gave me the opportunity to stop highlighting my hair after so many years. And I have to say that I LOVE the new configuration: dramatic light gray streaks on the top of my otherwise darker head. (Dark blonde? Light brown? Beats me.) I'm now accustomed to the change in hair texture--that's a big one when you stop the blonde highlights.

Makeup: I wear less makeup these days (and this started prior to COVID), because I'm increasingly sensitive to additives/fragrances/etc. I recently discovered Vanicream, and that has been a plus. I do use eyebrow pencil, and I sometimes use a tinted moisturizer and lip gloss. I send greetings to my younger self, who had deep concerns about eyeshadow. Bless that child.

Nails: Meh. Haven't done them for years, as my hands are often in the dirt. But I might try the Dior product mentioned above.

There's more, of course. Work in progress, dontcha know.

Be well, and enjoy your summer.

Laura J said…
Sooo, went from longest hair ever with ponytail back to classic bob , so salon is needed. However I have serious red in my hair courtesy of a wash in temp colour…lol. Make up is non existent except for a bit lipstick now and then if not masking and mascara to balance my lashes. Glaucoma drops give me lots of lashes in one eye but the droplets one needs help! Invest in skin care, pilates, ballet class and social activities. Never did manicures (not helpful with gardening, piano and crafts) I was a pedicure junkie but haven’t gotten back in the groove yet…would love to be more minimalist with clothes but having challenges finding a suitable retirement look…I often end up staying in my exercise clothes 🙄
Duchesse said…
Jean Shaw: A s aped, short nail (polish not needed, a swipe with one of those buffing blocks adds to a finished look) does not interfere with any activities. But that's what this post is about, doing the grooming you enjoy, not feel required to do.

Laura J: A manicure does not necessarily mean a long nail shape or polish (but you would not know that from the racks of bottles in salons.) I like precisely-shaped, buffed nails which I DIY with my mother's chamois buffer and buffing paste or those drugstore block buffers. I occasionally use a sheer nail colour. Red doesn't look good on my hands anymore, just feet.
Duchesse said…
Jean Shaw: Sorry, that should be "shaped".

The posts with the most