Summer: Donuts and dahlias

It's  almost time to shutter the Passage until September 6. I will all but unplug from the electronic world, and meet every person I am lucky to know, face to face. Since the summer I turned sixteen—when a driver's license was the longed-awaited gateway to fun—I have not anticipated a summer quite so much.

From large-scale pleasures to small, it's officially time to lighten up. Our vibrant, eclectic Jazz Festival is back full-swing, the terrasses and balconies overflow with revellers. I met a friend downtown for dinner; the entire street had turned into a club. Ever walk out of a restaurant and think, "I'm not ready to go home yet?" This is summer in Montréal.

Summer makes me want what I usually bypass: see these still-warm donuts, dripping their pearly glaze? The text on the window reads "Toujours Fraîche".  If you can pass this up, you are a stronger woman.


At a secondhand boutique, I bought a dress composed of two Indian cotton prints, an unapologetic throwback to my mung-bean salad days. It's very much like this ba&sh style, but cost only as much as the tax on the French frock.


And, a pair of Camper "Otuga" sandalsnot as practical as my usual cork-footbed "comfort" staple, but  they zhuzh jeans, and restore the 2cm of height I lost somewhere. (If found, please return.)


I live in the centre of the city, so my exposure to nature comes in homeopathic doses: front-yard garden or park. But from roses to dahlias, haphazard borders to exquisitely-manicured specimen trees, they nourish me daily.


The best part of the season is not about things, it's the people. We'll welcome visitors, more relaxed now that they can travel without costly, precisely-timed PCR tests. We'll join our grandchildren in parks, where no one worries about a careening toddler because all the kids are operating like manic windup toys. Below, Le Duc and the youngest.


It's not that I'm denying the crises and viruses, the economy and ecology, but my world will, for a few months, be less engaged by their relentless presence. 

I'll post next Tuesday, then it's time for a break, and I hope you have plans to relax, too. I will disable comments after next week's post, because otherwise I'm pestered with spam. 

But today, I wanted to thank everyone for reading and commenting, both those who have strolled through for many years, and new visitors. Though comments are not necessary, they make the Passage a conversation rather than a broadcast.

On September 6, let's meet at the market and do some people-watching!




Comments

Jane in London said…
Delightful picture of Le Duc and your little grandson. London, too, is now officially full of people and everything is back in full swing - I am grateful.

It's good to indulge our inner 'old hippie' every now and then with some summer Indian print, and the sandals look great. You can't tempt me with those doughnuts, though, as I do not like doughnuts. I fully realise this makes me something of an outlier... ;)

Have a wonderful and joy-filled break, Duchesse, and make the most of it all! And as always, thank you for the much-appreciated quality posts that you craft each week for our enjoyment. We are lucky.

Jane in London
Patricia said…
Enjoy your summer break! I'll be on our first international trip in over 2 years (to Scotland), but will hopefully catch some good wifi on our travels so I can continue reading.
Now off to check out those sandals!
Laura J said…
Those sandals are lovely and I have my eye on a green pair but not confident to purchase shoes on line. All the linen shirts, trousers and dresses ironed and ready to go…waiting for a tiny bit more heat!
LauraH said…
Those sandals look like a lot of fun! Shoes/sandals are one thing you can see and admire on yourself at all times:-)

Summer has definitely arrived here...hot and humid. Luckily I got most of the big garden jobs done during the cooler weather so can now relax and enjoy.

Coincidence that you tapped into your inner 60s child. I just bought a batik jacket, told myself it would work well for travel.
Wendy said…
Your summer plans and new-to-you dress sound fabulous! I’m knee deep in moving boxes, preparing for a major downsizing move. It’s no fun. I can only hope there’ll be a bit of summer left to enjoy once I’ve settled in a new home.
Enjoy your time with those grandkids!
SS said…
Thank you for sharing, and enjoy the summer break!
I love the doughnut photo, but like Jane, they wouldn't be my choice of a portable treat
here.

Duchesse, I hope Tony Pappas still has these for my wee duck feet...on sale, to boot!

https://boutique.tonypappas.ca/fc/kamik-sadie-brun-fonce.html
Allison said…
Enjoy your summer with family and friends. We are in PEI readying the rental cottage. We get to enjoy the shoulder seasons in this popular vacation spot ( minus the crowds and FYI, June on the Island beats July& August by a landslide. The abundance of wildflowers, June lobster and daylight that lingers until 9:45pm make it an amazing destination this time of year! Youngest is planning his yearly biking odyssey to Montréal from Ottawa so we will probably head down for a day or two to join him (en voiture, pas en vélo for these elders) and maybe the flea market in Hudson on another Saturday. Mostly July & August spent with our three grandchildren, the oldest starts kindergarten in September…enjoy your time with yours, it flies by all too fast.
See you in September.
Montreal sounds like such a fun city in summer!
I was there only once in the dead of winter: a very welcoming city but not as festive as you say. I could see, though, how the locals would not want to waste the warmer months and enjoy their city to the fullest then.
Have fun with family and loved ones.

The posts with the most