Style: Intentional Auntie

Bunny, who visits the Passage to make knowledgeable comments about design and fabrication of clothing, writes the blog "La Sewista!", which inspires me even though I haven't sewn in decades.

In a recent post, Bunny flames so-hip-it-hurts pattern makers Merchant & Mill ("this year and all others it is female Russian prison warden blah"), with equal parts humour and asperity, skewering boring patterns, pretentious marketing language and sullen models dressed in muddy darks. Several readers disagree, which Bunny takes in stride, conceding good points.

The same day, I read Calvin Tomkins' profile of the artist Simone Leigh in The New Yorker's Spring Style and Design issue (March 28, 2022), which mentioned she wore a French designer, Casey Casey, whose patterns "resemble those of French work dresses from previous centuries". Leigh calls her personal style "intentional auntie".  In her portrait, she stands next to one of her acclaimed sculptures looking striking and self-possessed.

Photo: The New Yorker/Braylen Dion

A few Casey Casey pieces:

Photos: Casey Casey
Left: "Stephanie" dress, €985
Right: "Atom" shirt, € 695

To adopt Casey Casey is pricey project; the clothes are like The Row for Eileen Fisher devotées. Apparently the value is in the fabric and stitching; pieces are said to last a long time. 

Other brands (e.g., Rundholz, Oska, Ischiko) make similar designs for about half the price; the quality is generally very good, lots of natural fibres. Shown, Oska "Donleona" blouse; price $CDN 399. (Though Leigh often wears black, I've filled the windows with lighter-coloured examples to show the details.)
  
Photo: Oska


In fast fashion, the Auntie attitude can be summoned for two figures:

Photos: H&M; Topshop on asos


H&M 100% cotton oversized shirt$US 35
Topshop oversized cotton poplin shirt dress, £50 at asos.
Though the fabrics are all-cotton, expect subpar fabrication at these prices.

"Intentional Auntie" is Leigh's term, but this kind of clothing has long been called "lagenlook", German for "layered look". For at least 30 years, it has been been embraced by women who wish versatility, camouflage for what magazines call "figure flaws", and modesty. 

The hipper the brand, the bigger the volume, till it reaches spinnaker proportions. Short women are wary, but Monica, one of the most stylish women I've known, wore such cuts beautifully. She was barely five feet and voluptuous; she paid attention to the scale. 

Critics call those clothes "menocore", but I had a few pieces well before menopause. I felt good in them until one day I went into a boutique and tried on designs that delivered ease and tailoring— Jil Sander, Armani, Emmanuelle Khanh. Those clothes felt more part of my body, less like a drop cloth. Le Duc said, "Finally you get rid of these...  Japanese things." Well, gradually; I had to wait for sales. 

On second markdown, I bought a Jil Sander pantsuit that remains the gold standard of cut. Like Bunny, my heart belongs to tailoring—not rigid construction, but fit that acknowledges a three-dimensional body.

Ease and tailoring

Today, a reliable source for this niche is DKNY, which fits my retired life. Shown, DKNY peplum zip front pleather jacket.



Checking out Donna Karan, I saw that while their signature bodysuits and minis live on, they also make a version of the big white shirt that avoids exaggeration; notice the princess seam from shoulder to ribcage, and the tier that begins not under the bust, but just above the waist. That princess seam is duplicated in the back, creating a closer fit than straight-up Auntie.

It is on sale now, about $US 150, but in limited sizes.



Toast is a reliable source for ease with detail. I really like their cotton-linen smock dress, price, £180, which provides some shape—the cut of the armhole does a lot of work. (Front detail shown left; notice the gathers at the bottom of the placket.) And, Bunny, it's made in colours: Montella green, Spice orange, as well as a neutral, Putty.
.


We aunties have seen long parade of clothes come and go. The high-volume pieces offered now draw upon French and other Old World historical designs, but in the 21st century, our eye has been subjected to every length and width imaginable for a garment, not always for the better. No wonder that the calm, functional luxe of Casey Casey pieces soothe and relax the wearer.

Photo: The Guggenheim Foundation


Thanks to her successful career, Ms Leigh can choose the most exquisitely-made of these updated historical designs. She appears in her clothes radiating confidence. I think that's half the game.   

 


 

Comments

Bunny said…
Ooo, I do love the details and colors of those Toast tops! You do get my aesthetic. I did have my brief attempt at Lagenlook, also known at the time as the slang "art teacher" look. Long used to devolumizing garments to work for my petite frame, I attempted the same with my art teacher garments. I painted, foiled and embellished somber fabrics to my hearts content, my real joy. Alas, I finally had to accept that I really did not feel comfortable in all that "stuff". I've been genetically blessed with a post meno figure with a defined waistline and garments that show a bit of my shape with some tailoring really look so much better than all this dark volume. I must say, dubbing the look "Intentional Auntie" is brilliant. I also love the last look on artist Leigh. She is definitely comfortable yet we see breasts, waist and some booty below that voluminous wrapped garment. She can rock it and despite the piping behind her body, her shoes make me smile. Great photo.
Fritinancy said…
I'm unhappy without waist definition, so Intentional Auntie—or, as we call it here, Berkeley Therapist—doesn’t work for me. But that white (cream?) DKNY shirt has my name in it. Or so I thought until “That Page Doesn’t Exist.”
Tom said…
I must admit I am attracted to the glum model/sack dress ads--though in real life the garments are often disappointing to say the least.

Check out this dress: https://lorriegrahamblog.com/michele-oka-doner-artist-and-that-dress/.
Daughter is determined to learn how to use my late MIL's sewing machine (Bernina top of line circa 1981), which no one can figure out how to thread. Perhaps we shall each be wearing a version of "that dress"--she will, of course, look better being almost 6 feet tall and many years younger.
Tom said…
P.S. Are those Trippen shoes on Leigh??? eva btw
Abigail said…
Fritinancy, try https://www.nordstrom.com/s/donna-karan-woman-long-sleeve-peplum-blouse/6500536?color=WHITE&mrkgadid=3356815485&mrkgcl=760&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=&utm_content=33817190135&utm_term=pla-818966139486&utm_channel=low_nd_shopping_standard&sp_source=google&sp_campaign=662927194&adpos=&creative=145518898720&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&acctid=21700000001689570&dskeywordid=92700049880627886&lid=927000
Duchesse said…
Fritinancy: I hate it when that happens. I do test the links but sometimes the company pulls the listing. But Abigail and I did some research and found it for you:
https://www.nordstrom.com/s/donna-karan-woman-long-sleeve-peplum-blouse/6500536?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FClothing%2FTops&color=100

There is also a new one in XS on Poshmark right now.

Bunny: They are dresses, I cropped t hem to show the detail. Leigh's second dress does show more of the body's lines, and it is not worn with a jacket, as she has on in the first shot. I had a nearly-identical dress to the second one in the early '80s, in black cotton interlock, by a French brand—it seems to be one of those eternal designs. The swoosh of the skirt is fun and the wrapped surplice can be adjusted to show décolletage or not.

Eva: What fun it would be (and frugal) to get that esteemed Bernina up and running. My DIL is sewing on my 50 yr old Singer Featherweight. That's an appealing dress on the right woman, but having tried similar ones—and I am tall— sometimes the drape works and sometimes not, there is skill behind what looks 'so easy'. I had a tiny aunt who essentially did this, but with what was called a "dressmaker suit"— a slim skirt and a fitted jacket that ended at the waist. She made that suit in everything from heavy tweed to piqué. It drove her two daughters wild, and not one of them would wear a skirt suit ever.

I don't know if the shoes are Trippen but it's a good guess.

Abigail: Thank you so much! I emailed Nancy in case she's not following the thread. There is also one for sale on Poshmark, an XS.

Beth said…
What I want is that DKNY leather peplum jacket. Please.
LauraH said…
I went through a Kaliyana phase many years ago. Very similar styles but strong colours and patterns. The Toronto store is no longer there but they are in Ottawa and online. Just had a peek and their look has not changed. I have no idea where I would wear those garments now:-)
Jane in London said…
I think you've put your finger on it, Duchesse, when you say that confidence is key for this sort of look.

I've actually always rather liked lagenlook, in theory at least. It feels as though it should create a flowing, sophisticated and slightly arty vibe. Sadly, it is not really my thing in reality - when I tried it as a younger woman it came over as an oddly penitential look on me. Now I am older, it hints not so much at 'auntie' as at Madame Arcati...

Here in the UK we have Hampstead Bazaar, of course - serving the 'arty' ladies of NW London since the 60s and famously beloved of Dame Judi. I'd love to wear their stuff but I know it would not work on me. A bit of outline and structure definitely helps!

Jane in London
Duchesse said…
LauraH: My longtime friend Rachel just bought a Kaliyana dress and jacket for a wedding; she wears plus sizes and can carry the drama and volume. (I have not seen it yet but apparently it's a pattern.) She said that she had bought hardly any clothing during the last 2+ years and "went bananas" on just the right ensemble, which she ordered online. It's like red lipstick: you're the woman for it at a particular time but may not be later, or vice versa. Or never.

Jane in London: You made my day with "oddly penitential". I bought a dress like that once, a nearly floor-length very ample navy silk column; Le Duc referred to it as "a shroud". We have our Hampstead Bazaar equivalents; Kaliyana, whom LauraH mentions, is one.

The posts with the most