Jewellery: Three heartfelt renos

Two friends and I embarked on renos with the same jewellers, with different starting points, but  a shared goal: to change something unworn to a sentimental piece full of love and family history.

Small: Third time around for a tiny-diamond ring 

This ring began nearly thirty-five years ago as a Richard Booth (now closed) 3mm white gold band with a row of seven 1.2-2.5mm graduated diamonds, a birthday gift from Le Duc when we were starting our life together. 

After about a decade, I wanted a wider band, so asked Pam Chandler and Don Collins of Artwork Gallery to make a 10mm knife-edged band sprinkled with those stones plus a couple more. (See photo below, upper right.)

On a much wider band, the stones looked rather lost; I thought I'd add more diamonds—maybe even full pavé—but that seemed too dressy for me, and I'd glance down at my jeans and think, That's not quite it. Over the past two years I built an idea file, but always returned to Pam and Don, world-class designers and technical masters, as my first choice. They too did not think adding stones was the solution.

We Facetimed to explore options; I spotted one of Don's designs that delivered the looser, more playful look I hoped for. It was made in silver with a ruby, but I could see it gold; I had only to buy a bit more. The diamonds prance across the bar and are also flush-set into each end. Le Duc's gift has its third version, and it's a keeper.

Redesigned white gold and diamond ring


Medium: Gwen's pendant

The day she found out her expected baby would be a boy, Gwen (the very Gwen of the marvellous  perfumeniche) went to Birk's in Toronto and bought a ring set with three fine sapphires and nine small diamonds. She never wore it, and now that boy is a handsome man of thirty—high time to reno!

She took the ring (sorry, no photo) and some orphaned gold to Pam and Don, and asked for a pendant. Every detail, from the textured finish to the double chain, is perfect. The shot doesn't do the stones justice; I sat across from her in a candle-llit restaurant and saw those sapphires flash!


Gwen's "It's a boy!" sapphires

Big—really big: B.'s Cartier diamond

B.'s aunt left her a 1930's Cartier ring (that's a 3ct. cushion-cut, baby). She had it restyled in the late '80s by Secrett into a geometric art deco brooch that she wore on her business suits. She wanted something discreet for work; most colleagues assumed it was vintage costume.

I admired it for years, but when she retired, B. stepped away from suits and wanted a ring again. The jeweller who made the brooch had not returned the Cartier mount, which she regrets.

Artwork made her chic negative-space (also called a "wrap setting") ring, which I'm trying on in the photo, quite a thrill. (A pinky ring on me, but it fits her ring finger.)

The informally chic B. wears it with everything, as casually as if it it were my tiny-house equivalent.

I model B.'s stunning heirloom

Whatever their size, good stones should be worn. Both Gwen and B.'s sapphires glow, and that Cartier diamond is mythic. 

If you're thinking of a reno, ask if the material is worth working with. Diamonds are nearly always salvageable. Sapphires and rubies are hardy too, but may have internal inclusions that cannot withstand a setter's hammer. Many softer stones like topaz, moonstone and tourmaline can revive spectacularly after repolishing.

The artistry of exceptional jewellers is now more accessible than ever thanks to video calls, something I did before 2020, but am even more comfortable with now. 


If you've been walking through the Passage for awhile, you will know I receive no compensation for putting anyone's work in the windows. I share what's exceptional, interesting or a really good buy, as I see it. Such autonomy is of great importance to me.




Comments

Laura J said…
I so enjoy these reno posts. It’s so good to see creative ways to make sentimental objects wearable. The imagination and skill of jewellers is wonderful.
Unknown said…
Each is stunning in its own way. I love to see these renos.
Vancouver Barbara
Jane in London said…
I, too, love your reno posts! These designs are really fabulous and I think this latest iteration of your ring is really stylish: nicely contemporary, but still has a classic feel to it. I love white metals, so it's right up my street!

And isn't B a truly fortunate woman to have been left a 3ct diamond! Just gorgeous...
Jane in London said…
Oh, looking at your ring again, is it actually yellow gold? It looks ambiguously 'silvery' on my phone screen... :)
Jean Shaw said…
Your reno posts always provide inspiration!
Duchesse said…
Jane in London: It's 18k white gold, shows up as almost grey.(I don't prefer rhodium plating.)

Laura J: Though there are many others whose work I like, these are the ones I trust with custom work (and am willing to wait.) To see more on Instagram: pamela chandler.artworkgallery.
Laura J said…
Now following ms chandler..nice mix of classic and contemporary…
Mardel said…
All very nice, inspiring, and very wearable. What great ideas and recommendations.
Wendy said…
All three are such gorgeous and creative renos. I think the uniqueness and personalization is what appeals to me. Thank you for sharing them. I’m not much of a jewelry person but that’s never kept me from enjoying your posts!
Allison said…
I have done several renovations on jewelry most notable my circa 1976 diamond engagement/ wedding ring set. It had been custom made by a Toronto designer but not only did its design date (it was pretty but looked a bit Queen Mum;) I also slowly developed an allergy to the nickel in white gold. The ensuring blistering on my left hand is sometimes referred to as wedding ring dermatitis! For years I wore a sterling silver spinner ring band but I also worked in a hospital and usually didn’t bother. Just before our fortieth wedding anniversary my husband suggested that we visit a local designer jeweller. It took months of work, the design, wax mold, tweaking, casting, polishing, which ended with a stunning yellow gold ‘cigar band’ ring that is a delight to wear and is more suitable to my big hands and prehensile fingers then the dainty rings I wore as a bride. Why short women are expected to wear ‘dainty’ jewelry is beyond my understanding. As a big boned 5’1” with size 9 feet and big hands dainty is not me!! Every part of the ring is built with meaning from the two bands that frame it top and bottom to the hammered gold body set with a diamond sunburst.
It’s wonderful to access designers worldwide but don’t discount local artists. Ask around, take some small pieces in for renovations to get a feel for the person who may well become a ‘significant’ other for a few months. My insured value for the finished ring is $6,000.00CDN but my husband paid $1200.00 mostly for labour. The designer factored in the reused diamonds and the gold from the settings. Unlike a house renovation, renovating your jewels can hold pleasant financial surprises!
I am so happy the unpleasant moniker ‘menopausal ring’ is no longer attached to reworked wedding sets as it was back in the 1990’s. Styles change and so do we, I now prefer wearing one ring to a group and no more dermatitis.
Hummingbird5 said…
Just spectacular, all three. Thank you!
Duchesse said…
Allison: Thanks so much for the details; you make so many useful points! Would you be willing to name the designer you chose for the reno, because you are delighted with his work? "Every part built with meaning" perfectly captures the ideal outcome. (I would love to see that ring!)

The only area where we differ •slightly• is your idea of taking some small pieces in for renovation first. I'd suggest looking at the jeweller's "before and after" portfolio, whether it's a small reno or the big one. Assess if this is well-done, and whether it is an aesthetic that resonates. I've written a few posts on how to commission custom work.
"Menopausal ring": Meow! Does it refer to the approach of taking the original diamond from the engagement ring and adding bigger diamonds, so the original diamond becomes a side stone?

About choosing designers: Adele showed us the tanzanite necklace that Janice Kerman made for her from an older piece. She lives in the Northeast US and Janice is in Montréal, but she saw her work and loved it. And what a stunner she has now:
https://passagedesperles.blogspot.com/2019/03/jewellery-reno-adeles-tanzanite-beads.html
That's what I meant: if a designer moves you, don't think it's not possible because you are not nearby. And I am all for using local talent when it fits with your taste and budget.
Bunny said…
I did a reno on my wedding ring, combining it with the stones from a ring my father gifted my mother. He loved estate jewelry and this pin had 5 small diamonds, one half carat diamond and a small ruby. I gifted the ruby and the half carat to my daughter to keep for my granddaughter and used the remaining small stones to work up a more contemporary design utilizing my diamond from my tiffany setting. I did not want another Tiffany setting as I had already been reset twice from encountering a couple of hard hits. I worked with a wonderful artist and he was from a family of jewelers, not just diamond setters but true creatives. I searched long to find him and it was thru a trusted reference that I was able to locate him and see his work. It was great fun to work on this project with him and get exactly what I wanted. Highly recommend the process.
Duchesse said…
Bunny: The classic Tiffany solitaire setting was "the" look for decades and still popular—but it exposes a diamond, especially the four-prong version. When whacked or worn hard, they will chip or (worst case) fracture. When someone does her homework, as you did, the results are vastly more likely to delight. Wonderful to anticipate that your mother's stones will be worn one day by your granddaughter.

The #1 skill for renos is design. It's not essential that the designer do his own setting, but it does boost your confidence that he will be mindful of the requirements.

The posts with the most