Street style from head to toe

I enjoy having my sensibilities stretched by persons wearing their own takes, and now that the full-winter gear is off, I'm looking at them again.

In my neighbourhood, this woman walked ahead of me on the street. I thought she was wearing a head scarf with her puffer jacket, which is already different because here we usually wear a tuque (aka watch cap) pulled low against the still-chill wind.

But, wait! She had knotted the classic triangle over a black baseball cap! And, note the reptile boots.


Downtown, I saw a woman so striking that I tried not to stare: petite, entirely in black, with a dramatic, flamenco-dancer chignon. I'm sorry I did not shoot her from the front so you could see that her hair was dressed in tight, even waves pomaded into place from the side part, traversing forehead to ear. That style belonged to the 1920s, the rest was absolutely current.

The faux-fur cropped jacket with track pants and Vuitton sneakers—personal and dramatic. (Madame is definitely in the Passage, so those of you wondering about streetwear: go for it!)

She and a friend were going to the Museum's "Nicholas Party: L'heure mauve" exhibition, as were we.

The showstopper was her jewellery: on one ear, six pearl studs! 


Waiting for the bus, a woman checked her phone in a considered but uncoordinated outfit. I liked it for several reasons: nothing really relates to anything else unless you count her white cropped knit (it just skimmed the top of her waistband) and gleaming boots. I liked the 3/4 length of the coat; camel is huge here this spring, a lighter neutral than black or navy.



Spring in the air, and on their feet! 



Comments

Laura J said…
I do enjoy these glimpses of street style. I used to do the scarf plus hat years ago..Kees your ears warm! Posture and attitude helpfu for women in the passage to carry off unconventional ensembles
Duchesse said…
Laura J: Agree! I would love those reptile boots— but no amount of attitude would slide me into a cropped top.
Jane in London said…
Those pearl studs!!! So unexpected: very clever. For me, I'm really not a fan of the all black ensemble though (a black dress is ok, but I'd need some colour somewhere to relieve it)

But camel - now there's a flattering and forgiving colour for most of us, provided we choose the right shade of camel for our skin tone. If I didn't have to consider any practicalities, I'd be happy to dress entirely in different variations on camel and cream with odd bits of colour for accent...
Oh, how I love this, after a shopping trip, one of the first after many months of rehabiliation hospital x pandemic.

Camel doesn't suit me - I was so happy to find an organic cotton pullover at Simons, in the cool Parisian roofstop tone I crave; wish I'd bought a couple more.

This afternon and early evening, we witnessed an explosion of what was almost springtime weather, as Leonard Cohen exulted in, decades ago.
JoJo said…
Doesn't this just all just make you smile? I love how people combine their clothes with a certain je ne sais quoi. (I hope I got that usage right!) I am totally in love with that camel coat.

Duchesse said…
lagatta: So happy our found 'your' colour. Free shipping at $75 or more, fyi.

JoJo: I have seen various versions of that belted wrap coat when out walking, and it always looks great.And it is always in camel.
Duchesse said…
lagatta: That's a typo: "•you• found 'your' colour".
Allison said…
The reptile boots are fantastic and offer a lighter look and make more of a statement then black or brown leather/suede, my cold weather go to. Street style is always so surprising and interesting. Heading to Montréal next weekend to check out the street/resto scene, there is always lots to take in. Also hoping for some ‘flâner’ worthy weather:)
Duchesse said…
Allison: Oh, have a terrific time!
Wendy said…
So fun! I miss people-watching, always best in big cities. Thanks for sharing, as always.
Yes, I've availed myself of Simons shipping. An even closer business with good shipping is Dante. I finally got a dose of people watching with a friend in Mile-End yesterday - a sunny spring day.

The posts with the most