I Want to (Pearl) Dress Like Harry Styles

When it comes to dressing, Harry Styles has the award category swept, in his sexy, gender-fluid clothes. He plays with all sorts of signifiers, eras, effects— and pulls it off... in pearls!


The point is not so much a man in pearls (he joins John Legend and Jason Momoa, other exemplars), but the confidence with which he makes them his own. Harry is especially attached to his round whites, but also wears a pearl and turquoise necklace with a fine gold chain and charm. And dig the robin's egg jacket— Harry Styles was created to rock resort wear.


Let's parse Harry's pearl vibe.

1. Swinging on stripes

Are pearls staid? Harry drops his on tees, fresh and sassy: 


Following his lead:

The pearls: Twenty-seven inch, 10mm-11mm high-lustre Chinese freshwater pearl necklace (near-round and short drops) from Pacific Pearls USA; price, $US 320. Someone should buy this right now! 

The stripes: crochet striped sweater from Marni (Netaporter) or look for a less pricey version, but check that one lilac stripe, that's why Marni commands the cash.   


2. Pattern plus pearls  

See what he's doing? Playing those pearls against type in the "Watermelon Sugar" video:



Staid? Not on an exploded print. My version could be a bold, shirred viscose top in "Duskblossom", at Madewell. Price, $CDN 88; duties included.



3. Mixed pearls on a tailored jacket

Harry's luscious blue jacket was perfect for Amalfi (you can see him in it in the "Golden" video), but it's winter here, so I'm headed to velvet. The J. Crew blazer summons the same sharp insouciance, in an unusual colour called "clay sand". 

The whites would work with it, but my Styles sense suggests pairing it with Kojima's rosebud pearl and antique nephrite necklace, which has mystery, charm and that fantastic carved jade focal piece; price, $US 405.


3. Cords and a sweatshirt: How Harry hits it


I have never worn pearls with a sweatshirt. "Why not, Duchesse?, Harry asks. Maybe because I own but one? The time has come.


These are freshwater baroques bought fourteen years ago from Kojima Company and still glowing strong. Similar here, from Judi McCormick; price $US 950.


4. Flashy cardie, graphic tee 


Harry wears a JW Anderson jumper, but it sold out in seconds, so Desigual it is–a jacket designed by Christian Lacroix.

Worn with a glammy-classic strand (detail shown) of graduated pearls, 4mm-9mm white Chinese freshwaters from Pacific Pearls USA; price, $US 250. This is a 16-inch strand, so at least 17 in. when strung, which Pacific Pearls will do with grace.


And shoes!

 Round whites are hardly sedate worn with Sevilla "Tiger" boots:

Photo: Maguireshoes.com

 

I've grown a bit timid over this Pandemic Pause. Harry Styles, besides being fun to be around, shows me not to take pearls, even of the most regal variety, too seriously. 

How to make round white pearls look less "lady": wear with Styles' insouciance, give 'em a shot of surprise. 





Comments

Ms. Liz said…
Oh how I have enjoyed this post! Such fun reading and seeing Harry rock those pearls. I enjoyed your interpretation on how to style an outfit like Harry. Your post has reminded me we should have fun with our wardrobe and express ourselves with what we already own!
w1chw1z said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duchesse said…
Ms Liz: He's such an exuberant young man. I had fun (strictly for research) seeing him in other outfits, from strict British menswear to a tutu.

w1chw1z: Thanks; I saw that Anderson offered a pattern. However, b/c so many people made their own version (the pattern or a copy) perhaps it's best to seek a colourful cardie but not "that" sweater because it will be so identifiable. Copies of a celebrity piece date very rapidly. And I really like the spirit with which they offered it.
Jane in London said…
Marvellous photo of you, Duchesse! I love Harry - in some ways he reminds me of the young David Bowie, unique personal style and refusing to be pigeonholed.

I remember seeing Bowie live in 1972 in his Ziggy Stardust incarnation, and being mesmerised by his stage presence and insouciance. I think Harry has some of the same spirit!

Jane in London
Leslie M said…
I agree with Ms Liz - Bravo, Duchesse. And, he gave good advice. Pearls with a sweatshirt are divine!
If you are going to have an imaginary friend, make it Harry!
Laura J said…
A fun and invigorating post! I have found myself slipping back into not changing out of my black exercise gear — pearls and colours! 4ever!
Duchesse said…
Leslie M: Imaginary, or just a friend whom I have not yet met ;)

Jane in London: Yes, he does remind me of Bowie too, and it will be fun to see him mature, I am sure in an original style.

Laura J: Exercise gear is fine, but it is hard to wear pearls with that. Hmmm, let me work on it.


Marianne said…
Pearls! I'll wear them to my next Chemo treatment.
Wendy said…
Brilliant post! You look wonderful in your sweatshirt with pearls. That shade of lipstick is perfect on you. I miss lipstick.
Allison said…
Aww Harry has my heart! Ever since I caught him on SNL singing Watermelon Sugar with the pearls and amazing manicure. He is , as you pointed out, gender fluid. It’s interesting because it’s not cross dressing, he’s not making an effeminate statement. Simply wearing what pleases him and enjoying it. This reminds me of when my sons were small and would happily gad about the house in my old hats, a pair of heels and as many necklaces ( faux pearls too) that they could layer on with a small ‘cocktail’ purse tucked under the arm. It didn’t seem weird to us at all, just children enjoying themselves.
Harry is a refreshing role model in many ways.
Not sure if the new Tim Horton’s commercials featuring Justin Bieber are playing in QC maybe on English channels? Justin is wearing pearls. They are tucked in a bit but still visible, my husband pointed them out referencing…..Harry Styles!!
Harry has a remarkable sense of style and justice, but my "woman of a certain age" crush is on his Welsh co-star https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneurin_Barnard
Duchesse said…
Allison: Yes, with a sweatshirt! IMO there could be a bit more contrast b/t the sweatshirt and the pearls, as Harry does. I like the glimmer of his chain with them, which you see in the last second. (I'm imagining mothers saying, "Jimmy! Have you taken my pearls again?")

Marianne: Sure, if your unit permits. (Some hospitals and clinics ask patients to not bring jewellery or significant sums of money.) A friend celebrated her last treatment by buying a strand of pearls she had been eyeing for at least 5 years.

Wendy: Thanks! Kojima Company just posted an insta shot of a man in two strands of Tahitians, wow: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXQ1XvFOJVr/
Hairglo said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hi Duchess,
I don't know if I like his style and still find his pearls too feminine (I am also a total snob quite happy to admit I don't know his music because he'll always be "boy's band" to me...) but it is irrelevant. I also find the whole thing a bit forced: "emprunté".
Now, I do find that through his obvious willingness to become more the essence of himself with style, he starts to remind me of late Patrick Dewaere in his acting: gravitas and depth. (Heck, he even starts to look like Patrick...)
I don't particularly like it but kudos for the effort.
As for you duchess, you look great, don't change a thing!
French Bea from Sydney

The posts with the most