Best wishes on the Winter Solstice

The Passage shutters now for a two-week holiday break and reopens on January 4, 2022, so I am posting my Christmas Wish List on the Passage's shutters, and then enjoying a cup of osmanthus tea.

I wish for three things:

1. More forbearance as friends and family sort out their modus vivendi regarding Covid precautions. Who will come to the house? Who will meet at a restaurant? When to ask for use of a rapid response test? Parties involve more negotiation than a full season of "Sister Wives".

We're in a phase for which there is no one-size solution, and anyway, we saw what happened when they tried that with pantyhose. 

2. Continual attention from friends and neighbours. Over the past year I have been buoyed by a call, a note, or even a greeting from a toddler who beams as he staggers by. When I left a shop recently, the owner called me over to make sure I took a bonbon; civility has never felt so warm. The pandemic is an excuse for stowing one's fancy clothes, but not good manners. 

3. A permanent vacation for the moths that still live in our home, or my acceptance of them as tiny beige butterflies, rather than evil predators. (Hat tip to Dan Reeder's "Born a Worm", unexpurgated version. Listen before playing for a five year old, unlike my girlfriend Dr. A., who learned the hard way.) 


May I have a related extra wish? That I would somehow magically acquire serious visible mending chops.

Le Duc and I discussed gifts and agreed we did not want "stuff". Le Duc will wine-shop with a knowledgeable son, as his gift from me. This pearl may have been mentioned, thanks to the power of just one to lift my spirits. Pearls are not stuff, to me.

Shown, apricot Japan Kasumi pearl from Pacific Pearls



Good things on the table

We'll serve the silky, sumptuous "Quick Chicken and Dumplings" soup over the holidays, a recipe originally published in the New York Times. (Le Duc roasts a chicken, but a rotisserie one is just fine.) This is one of those magical recipes that delivers way more delight than effort.  


We're invited to friends' for Sunday lunch early in the new year, and I'm bringing dessert. Though you may think it impossible, the host told me she would be "chocolated out". 


I made this Apple Bundt Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce  (courtesy of I Am Baker) this fall, and will repeat it for that luncheon. The cake is solid enough to transport without worry, and I will warm the sauce on their stove. Suggestion: add one tsp. ground cardamon to the batter and for the sauce, double the quantity because though this cake nicely serves six, some do slather on that sauce. (You could pour it on while warm so it soaks into the cake, but I serve it on the side—the cake is plenty moist as is.) And, for bundty beauty, use a classic bundt pan rather than one of the more spectacular versions, because the apple chunks don't nestle into those teeny crevasses.)


Always, this time of year, I think of those alone, and those trying to put a festive face on difficult circumstances. The heart of the season is caring, not consumption. 

Carols, the twinkly tree, the church with its crêche: these are familiar whether you celebrate December 25 in a service or watching Netflix in snowman-printed pyjamas. This day, the Winter Solstice, follows the Hannukah candles, the Diwali oil lamp: light in the darkest time, ancient rituals.

Due to rising pressure on hospitals and clinics, Montréal invoked, starting yesterday, stricter restrictions on gatherings in private and public, and on permitted numbers in stores, restaurants, cinemas, theatres; cancellations and closures abound. I don't worry about those who planned to fly to Florida, they will make their decision. I think of the man whom I often see at my nearby dépanneur, whose daily three-minute chat with the owner is clearly a support. 

May you find your own light, and cast some into places that need extra tending.



Comments

Laura J said…
That pearl is spectacular.
Many good wishes throughout the holidays and for the new year.

The small kindnesses are so important. We live in interesting and changing times.
Unknown said…
Loved "We tried that with pantyhose", I seldom coment but wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your writing.

Thank you!
LauraH said…
Best wished for a peaceful and safe holiday season. Stunning pearl, hope you find it under the tree:-)
Mary said…
Peace to you and yours.
Also known as the December Solstice, especially in scientific circles. First day of winter in the north, summer in the south. Sending Solstice greetings to friends in Buenos Aires and Santiago (Chile). Not a fierce winter day here. Very small party with 2 or 3 friends; avoiding public events. June Solstice is National Indigenous Peoples' Day here and the lead-up to the St-Jean, also Summer-Solstice based.

Hope you can make it three generations.

The pantyhose was hilarious. I gave up on those; being boho and short, opted for dancers' tights or leggings.

Funny, what I want most other than seeing friends, and a mild winter, is a third dose and the testing kit...
Leslie M said…
I, too, have coveted that very pearl but went with the spiral button Kasumi instead. May all your wishes be granted!
Happy holidays and thanks for the pearls of wisdom about others this season and everyday.
Jane in London said…
Your Christmas plans sound marvellous, and I send every good wish to you and yours from a chilly but twinkly London Town.

Thank you for your excellent posts throughout 2021; always something there to think about, enjoy and value.

And, as a final thought, clothes moths have no redeeming features whatsoever imo!

Jane in London
Allison said…
Best wishes to you and yours. Lock down of some kind seems inevitable in Ontario as well. My twenty five year old is sad as the New Years Eve get together in Montreal is cancelled but is taking it in stride..last night he informed me that one of his Montreal friends has Covid. On the up side my child is scheduled for a booster next Tuesday. His brother and SIL due to their work are boosted as are my husband and myself. Another holiday hunkering under the tree but we are together (with a new grand daughter)and that is what is most important. Looking forward to the shutters opening again in January, enjoy your break!
Jean Shaw said…
Thank you for another year of thoughtful posts. All the best to you and yours.
Francie Newcomb said…
Your writing is extraordinary and so are you. I have learned so much from you. Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy 2022 to you and your family.
Unknown said…
I’m so glad that the days of wearing pantyhose day-after-day at work are long over. One size fits all: hah, not at 5’8”! Thank you for sharing the chicken recipe - it was terrific! Have a happy holiday. I look forward to your next blog.
Duchesse said…
Unknown @ 9:48: At 5'10" I am with you, sister. We needed Tall. But on the road or in a rush, often all one could find were the one-size kind like L'Eggs. The gusset would rip just pulling them up! Hope you comment again, you may post using the anonymous option but please include a name/pen name in the body of the comment. This supports a sense of community here, small gesture though it is. Thank you.

The posts with the most