How many colours on your body?

Three? Vanessa Friedman parses the classic rule here. (New York Times; may be paywalled.) 

Spoiler: Black and white don't count. For prints, the predominant colour is #1, the secondary is #2 and an accent colour—background colour in a print, or as a solid solid scarf or bag— is #3.

The three may be a classic accord, like red/white/blue:

Photo: Scott Shuman, The Sartorialist

Or, a more unusual mix; here, shell pink, soft blue, and a punchy orange:

Photo: Scott Schuman, The Sartorialist

It was nearly impossible to find three-colour outfits on clothing vendors' sites because the three colours distract from the specific piece they are selling. 

Two? Christian Dior, in his "Dictionary of  Elegance", said that two colours in an outfit were enough; if more were used, a woman should limit them to accents. His dictionary was intended for beginners, eager to master an elegant presentation. 

This ensemble in two subtle colours by a current designer, Emma Wickstead, transmits his aesthetic:

Emilia Wickstead Spring 2021 on Vogue.com

But two colours need not be discreet; this is Anna Sui from her Fall 2021 show:

Anna Sui on Vogue.com


One? Women seeking an impression of slimness choose one colour head to toe, and if one wants to look well-heeled, that's in hard-to-maintain pales:

Photo: Hermès, Vogue.com

Any colour can play, including humble blue deniim:

Photo: Vogue.com

The Duchess of Cambridge has made monochromatic ensembles her signature; the look transmits poise:



One-and-a-half: that's tone-on-tone, right to the shoes:

Photo: Massimo Dutti

Many-many: Plan B refutes the very idea, opens possibilities to an infinite riot of colour.  

The enthusiasts are those for whom coloured sprinkles adorn the cupcake of costume. These head-turning, audacious mixes were worn by young women in a Paris park:

Photo: The Sartorialist

For a time, readers and friends sent me photos, usually by Ari Seth Cohen, of mature women wearing every colour at once, which many of them praised. (I do not, and have explained why in this post.) But, wear what you dig.

Photo: Ari Seth Cohen, Advanced Style

My relationship to colour has changed over life. Once unafraid of neon, I now treat it like a motley squirrel: don't get too close. I had a black phase decades ago; it's still never far from hand. Too much bold colour on at once enervates me. 

Like most women, travel condenses the palette: I pare down to black, dove grey and Klein blue or a pungent pink. My most daring forays are supplied by silk or cotton scarves, portable from one garment to the next:

Hermès 90cm carré, "Grand Theatre Noveau"  




Wallace Sewell Lèna scarf at Wolf & Badger


I have so many questions for you!  Has your colour sense changed as you move through life? 

Is there an elusive, magical colour that you'll buy whether it's a towel or a top? Are there colours that affect you physically?

Do you think about how many colours you prefer to wear at once?






Comments

mauthra said…
Has your colour sense changed as you move through life? Yes. Grey hair made me rethink my wardrobe and now I gravitate towards jewel shades of blue and white. I have always been a "black".

Is there an elusive, magical colour that you'll buy whether it's a towel or a top? Yes. Warm olive green and midnight blue.

Are there colours that affect you physically? Most definitely yes. I have a visceral reaction to purple (all shades). I feel borderline sick.

Do you think about how many colours you prefer to wear at once? Not really but I tend to stick to 2 colours most of the time.
LauraH said…
So many questions:-) I'm now much more comfortable wearing the colours I love, especially close to my face. For a while I lost the thread, was too influenced by what was most readily available and by what others said was best. Now I wear sweaters, scarves, mitts, gloves and bags in clear warm colours like turquoise, coral and spring green. Those make me happy. Pants are navy, dark chocolate or black. This summer I added emerald shoe laces to my grey sneakers and loved putting them on to go for a walk.

I usually avoid one colour head to toe, it just doesn't give me the same lift. Two solid colours + a print scarf is my go-to combination. I make an exception for the wonderful prints from Katrin Leblond:-) Like you I'm not a big fan of the Advanced Style look, my choices tend towards simple lines, fairly casual, good fabrics and touchable textures.

Colours do effect my mood and that can ripple out to a physical reaction. I'm much happier and pleased with life when I leave the house wearing colours I love. There's a bounce to my step.

As for magic - I'm a sucker for turquoise!
Lynn said…
I've found myself limited to black, white, navy and forest green with a bit of burgundy (dark pink in the summer) thrown in. This really wasn't conscious, it's just what looked best to my eye. The green is the hardest to find and I grab it whenever I see it on the racks. I only wear small prints and lately have been intrigued by bright colored shoes, although I've only invested in one pair. I could never dress like the Advanced Style ladies - I would be a nervous wreck. I like casual clothes with simple lines that stay put when I move around. Even scarves are challenging!
Black is the colour of black cats, my favourite creatures. And of serious bohemians; working artists, writers and related professions. None of that gaudy advanced style.

I'm alzxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(cat typing c/o Livia)also drawn to forest and bottle green, reds that are slightly bluer than the primary, and unlike mauthra, certain smoky violets (though I share her reaction to harsh purples). No white, no pastels, no pink.

And the grey of Parisian rooftops.

Duchesse, thank you for your splendid colour compilation.
Laura J said…
Colour sense has definitely changed as I am less enamoured of black. While I recognize the impulse, the multi-colour advanced style leaves me perplexed. Way too much going on. It seems it would take ages to dress and then to have to manage an inventory of clothes and accessories…not for me! I enjoy one and 2 colours at a time the most, using a scarf or jewelry to add a little more colour, but not always.
Tom said…
I remain committed to mostly black and gray, with scarves for color and--thanks to you, Duchesse--a pearl necklace and earrings to lighten things up. e
Jane in London said…
This is a fun post - I'm enjoying reading about the colour experiences of the Passage women!

I used to be able to wear all-black outfits really well and the Little Black Dress always looked good on me. But no more! Whilst I have, on the face of it, the same colouring as I had when younger, my 60-something skin can't take unrelieved black (or indeed navy) next to the face.

I get around this by wearing either a scarf of some sort, or a sleeveless white cotton shirt underneath my dark sweaters - the frame of the white collar magically lifts the dark colour and seems to take 5 years off me :) I found the perfect style and bought 3 of them, so I'm never without a fresh one in the wardrobe.

I keep it to 2 colours max (plus perhaps an accent scarf) and can't relate to the Advanced Style aesthetic - too fussy for me, and not realistic for my life.

My accent faves? Turquoise, clear red and clear orange. I think those have been colour constants throughout my adult life...

Jane in London

Duchesse said…
All: Your comments are so interesting. Some of us have a physical response to certain colours, others respond by a visceral notion of "what's right for me". If there's any commonality it's that unmitigated darkest-darks (blue and black) are no longer appealing for many, given the changes that age brings, whether we colour our hair, that frame around the face, or not.

A colour expert I once met told me that the same colours that suited you when a young adult will still work, but you may have to play with the ratio, as Jane in London notes. I've found that there are colours I'm crazy about that I can't wear (all the yellow-based browns and beiges like nougat and camel) and some ethereal pastels like the milky pink that's inside a sea shell, while other colours (orchid pink) I can wear but don't feel like me.

lagattta: Check out the Eric Bompard shade "Incense", a purpled grey, it's an unusual colour:
https://www.eric-bompard.com/en_ww/p/classic-scarf-170-cm-x-35-cm-EB_A1.1AV.html
Martina said…
I haven’t changed my colors that much, at 61, black still looks good and is my go to. I probably only wear two colors at once, black and something else. I love reds, pinks, purples, bright blues and greens. I’m a true winter (even to my love of cold weather!). Maroon and gold together make my skin crawl.
Allison said…
Forever in black! Red is moving out of my wardrobe as a major accent ( will never give up my collection of red boots) in favour of Schiaparelli pink! I can’t with the 80’s jewel tones recommended for my ‘Snow White’ colouring. My closet looks like a bordello, I like the variety though I won’t be in the lens of Mr. Cohen anytime soon. Those models are adorable but it all borders on costume and perpetuating the ‘crazy old folks’ trope like the ‘red hat’ ladies groups of the past.
I have discovered the beauty of Schiaparelli pink and olive green, that combo makes me smile. Also olive + clear orange, has to be the right olive green though…bright happy turquoise and a certain navy has its charms.
There is a peculiar brackish wine ( dried blood?)red that makes me reach for Gravol. When seen with navy the yuck factor increases 10x. I am not against anyone wearing that combo, it’s just not for me.
Thought provoking as usual Duchesse.
Duchesse said…
Martina and Allison: Exchange virtual double kisses with me, another Classic Winter! But I never liked jewel tones except cobalt blue (with black) as they were démodé among my city crowd in downtown black. My bias was born of the times and love of designers like Armani (bought secondhand) and Donna Karan, who went nowhere near jewel tones. Now, I have a chartreuse jacket that draws compliments every time and makes me feel great even though lemon is the yellow in the little colour wallet I still have.

Getting a Winter away from black is probably impossible, so we move it around, add a scarf and (here it comes) pearls do light the face wonderfully.
pinkazalea said…
I love color. Over the years I've refined my color palette and am still learning and enjoying the process. With silver/white hair, pale skin, and light eyes, intense color overwhelms as does too large a pattern. I do love black but not next to my face. My winter coat, puffer coats, handbags, shoes, and boots are almost all black which seems just right. I love pale green - imagine a wonderfully tailored dress or pant suit with espresso shoes and bag. That said our lifestyle is very casual and I can't see many opportunities to dress up. For me the challenge is how to wear more color and still keep the look chic and sophisticated even if the clothes are casual. Those older ladies in the riot of colors - oh, I'd feel freakish in something like that but at 71 myself, I feel like applauding their joy and apparent pleasure.

The posts with the most