Getting and Spending: I buy a c'vest

Well, that poncho post tied the record for most-ever comments, "What Is It About Eileen Fisher?" (My opinion on EF stands.) Thanks to all for your insights, warnings, paeans, and pros/cons.

I'm still on the poncho fence, but here's a piece for which I had an immediate "Yes, please!"

If they can call a shirt jacket a shacket, I'm calling this coat-meets-vest a c'vest, pronounced kuh-vest. (I'm a fan of branding and naming pro Nancy Friedman's blog, fritinancy; this is my Nancy-Fantasy Moment.)

I was in Ottawa, Ontario, for a family occasion last month, so visited my favourite local boutique, Muriel Dombret. Her clothes are very good quality, well-cut, and made on site. The plan was to replace a pair of shiny-seated trousers. 

But instead, I bought a long puffer vest by Coster Copenhagen, drawn to its drift of warmth, matte-brass disc snaps, and small-scale leopard-print lining. 



Though I felt the thwap of a bulls'-eye buy at first twirl, I returned twice to be sure, trying different-weight sweaters under it, and soliciting opinions about size. No one expects a puffer to be sleek, but I wanted the least bulk possible. 

Usually, I am not a vest woman. I tried one of those wide, hip-length sweater vests last year, and donated it because the proportions were off, but admire them on others. 

Long sweater vests are better, but I still feel like Bea Arthur in "Maude".



The puffer vest has a different vibe. Maybe I am still Maude—but a Danish Maude.
 
You might wonder, isn't it way too cold in Montréal for a coat with no sleeves? Yes, at our coldest. But with a thick sweater, I think it will serve until pretty far down the Celsius scale. 

Here's Muriel in hers on a cool Ontario morning:

Photo: Murieldombretclothes, Instagram

I would wear most things at Muriel Dombret; after over two decades as a customer, I trust that her clothes will give pleasure for years. You can order from a selection here. If they have the fabric, the boutique will cut to your specifications.

But enough about me and the c'vest. What have you bought that surprised you? How did it work out?


Comments

Jane in London said…
Oh I really like this one!

As a British woman of a certain age, I am a firm believer in the puffer gilet. Mine come out as soon as Autumn is established and don't go back into the cupboard until well into Spring. And if a puffer gilet is good then, a fortiori, this vest is great ;)

Jane in London
Bunny said…
Love my puffer vests and have a couple. I like the freedom they give me when driving, particularly. Ever feel like you have to get your coat off after you've been in your car for a bit? The puffer vest solves that! Being petite, I like them a bit less puffy and closer to the body than this one for my self but this is a great look.
Jean Shaw said…
Yup, I am all about the puffer vest (or fleece vest--after all, I DO live in Oregon). That's a great looking piece; enjoy!

It looks lovely on Muriel, but I think most things would. Such beautiful grey hair. I could never wear that garment because my upper arms are always chilly.
Jane said…
I'm afraid I'm a no to the long puffer vest. But then, I'm petite. I bought a coatigan and surprisingly like that. Oh, and a jumpsuit in burnt caramel, a color and style I had never worn. I'm considering combat boots, something the college age son lives in.

We are going to be in Montreal next week for youngest's McGill convocation. I am worried about the weather. We walk ALOT and I hate the cold!
Leslie M said…
I was never a vest person, but a couple of employers I had put their logo on fleece vests and gave out as company swag. So, now I have several. I agree with the comment about the freedom a vest can give while driving and it keeps your core warm. I think you’ll really enjoy your c’vest. My recent surprise purchase has been a pair of pink, clear acrylic prescription glasses. It was on a whim that I chose a pair of sunglasses frames but I find they are very versatile and just fun. I also purchased black cat eye frames at the same rime, but rarely wear them. Completely the opposite of what I predicted would happen.
Duchesse said…
Jane in London: I can see one of those in my closet, too! Peregrine's or similar.
Jane: And clearly the 'other' Jane! I can see why you would avoid that line plus puff, it would swamp you. Don't forget your extremeties when here, especially warm feet and ears, and have a wonderful time,
Bunny: I like the short puffer vest, the Uniqlo type and even heavier. Here I see then a lot even indoors.
Jean Shaw and Leslie M: The fleece vest is a different animal, much sportier and in the extreme unisex cut, too "hairy knees" as the Brits say. Company-branded wear is another topic but like university sweatshirts, they should belong to those with some affiliation.
lagatta: Yes, Muriel is a beautiful woman and thankfully one who designs for a fairly diverse size and shape of customers. You too have beautiful grey hair! I have slipped a light jacket with leather sleeves (and unlined wool front and back) under this piece, works perfectly.





Allison said…
I must take a stroll down the street and check out what Muriel has in stock as I haven’t been in her store for years and she’s right in my ‘hood! I have sat on the fence about puffer vests for years…until this past September when the weather in PEI turned chilly and realized after being there for three weeks and another two to go that I had not brought a warm layer. Headed to Winners and purchased a puffer vest and fleece sweater ( like Lagatta my upper arms get cold)
other than looking like a liquorice all sort in my pink puffer and black fleece I was warm walking the dog and wore the puffer in the house on chilly days too. I loved the warmth but found my bottom was often cold. The longer length would be good for shopping and walking too. With a heavy cashmere sweater or hoody my parka could stay in the closet until January.
Fritinancy said…
Fun find (and thanks for the shout-out)! "C'vest," though, is perilously close to "kvetch," at least to my Yiddish-influenced ear. Maybe it's a carvest, a tribute to the car coats of yore.
Jean Shaw said…
The secret with fleece is to find vests (and jackets) with princess seaming--much more flattering to women. (I even saw one recently with a gentle peplum design.) Otherwise, yes, the unisex items get relegated to working in the garden or walking 'round these parts.
Susan said…
Pray tell, what does the British expression "hairy knees" mean. I've looked it up and Mrs Google doesn't seem to know either. Love this blog and discussion.
Duchesse said…
Susan: Use your imagination? The rugged and rough kind of unisex outdoor wear.

The posts with the most