Cable news: Megan Patrice Reilly's innovative earrings

To matters from the last post of June: What did I finally choose for my "birthday gift from Mom"?  

Longtime Passage-strollers will recall Mom as a vivid, eccentric woman whose frugality was so intense that she tried to bargain down the price of her cremation. She would have augmented William Morris' dictum: "Have nothing that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" with "and at least 40% off."

I bought earrings, but not from the choices posted; I chose MPR "Tear" dangles:

"Tear" earrings, large size

The tear is a classic shape, but the materials are not. They are so light that I forget they are on. The large size "Tear" is under one gram—they don't even register on my scale, yet you can see from the photo that they have presence:


Those are 3.25 in. long; the small-size "Tear" is 1.25 in. The site shimmers with earring styles  from discreet to bold, some accented with small stones.

The material is finely-woven stainless steel (miniature bridge cabling) in a variety of colourways; the earrings are accented with silver or 24k gold-plated elements and, for some styles, gemstones or pearls. (Mine are gunmetal cable with gold accents.)

Photo: MPR Jewelery

That innovative material is formed from fourteen strands of metal woven together, which supplies weightless strength. If you squish one in your hands, it springs back like a gossmer-fine Slinky—perfect for travel. 

Necklace wearers will be taken with hers, which deliver intriguing architectural shapes without any neck strain. You'll see some showstoppers, but I especially admire the Shape Pendant, which goes with so much:

Shape Necklace, MPR Jewelry


Pieces are handmade in Megan Patrice Riley's Brooklyn studio; see her story here, it's impressive. 

I found mine at Montréal's Galerie Noel Guyomarc'h, which carries a generous selection. I had chosen a pair of MPR earrings for my daughter-in-law's birthday in 2020, and when I saw this year's assortment, there was my pair. 

If you have passed up pieces because of their weight, these open many possibilities. If you would like a particular combination not shown, MPR will make your custom piece.

MPR represents qualities I respect: coherent design that is striking, resilient, and well-made— principles we can use whether buying or deciding what to keep. 

The Passage was to be a one-year project, an attempt to open my file and put it on the Internet, because I'd tell someone who asked where I had found a pair of earrings or a shawl and she'd say, "Can you send me that again?" Nearly fourteen years later, it has become a place where (mostly) women generously share their own finds. This unintended happy consequence has encouraged me to keep the Passage open, and its windows filled. 


Comments

LauraH said…
Lovely earrings. The use of industrial materials is fascinating. And no tradeoff between the substantial look and the actual weight...perfect. It must feel like wearing a feather.

This post brings back happy memories of our visit to Galerie Noel Guyomarc'h.
Leslie M said…
I think you made a good choice for your gift from mom. It is true that near weightless earrings are the way to go, now. The website is really fun - even the small lattice earrings have a lot of presence and, I imagine, movement. They caught my eye, as did several others. My initial thought when I saw them on you was that you will be screwed when those wires bend out of shape. That happened to me with a similar pair of earrings I purchased on Etsy. But, no you say. It makes sense that the coating over the wire keeps them flexible. They are very flattering on you! Thank you for another website to peruse.
Duchesse said…
LaraH: Exactly, and I also find the shapes appeal to me. My ears re thrilled with the lightness, like wearing nothing.

Leslie M: It is hard to represent this steel cable material in words; her web site states, "the pieces are incredibly strong, flexible and collapsible". When I travelled with the earrings in Oct., I packed them in one of those little pouches made of padded satin. Did fine, but I'll let you know if there is any bending.
Laura J said…
Lovely choice and wearable!
Wendy said…
Well those are intriguing! I love the idea of boldness without the usual weight.
Leslie M said…
By the way, 14 years! That should not go by without comment. You have managed to fill the window with so many goodies during that time. I remember the first time I found your blog and spent the weekend reading a couple of years worth over a weekend. I still look forward to every post! We’ll take as many years as you are willing to give.
Jane in London said…
Excellent choice - the shape is exactly right for your face, and they look modern/classic.

14 years! My goodness, "Who knows where the time goes...".

Jane in London

The posts with the most