One woman, two scarves: Jane and I ponder the trend

Jane in London wondered what I think of this look, which seems to have gained neck share in colder climates right about now.

I don't usually wear two scarves, because that would add even more visual clutter to an already pretty busy face and neck: a watch cap, glasses, earrings, mask, and a head of spoingy curl that is a permanent 'accessory'. That's a lot going on over only 35cm or so! 

Occasionally, I'll wear an indoor-weight scarf and wrap a big muffler over that for walking outdoors. The muffler obscures whatever's under, not the effect Jane had in mind.

But on others? It depends on their build, the length of the neck, and how the whole ensemble reads

The art of composition

The photo below is of an anonymous woman trying the look. To me, this is a case of two nice scarves that clash when worn together; the combination of warm and cool palettes have no dialogue with one another. And I never thought I'd write this phrase, but the bright white pearl torsade looks off too. 



She is pleased with the result—but to me, it's not there yet.

At the other end of the spectrum is an example from the much-appreciated scarf collector MaiTai, showing at left, how to wear two 90cm Hermès carrés, and at right, a pair of black and white 70cms. What do we notice, honeybunches? The disciplined and considered pattern-mixing, the dark top or jacket that does not compete with all that pattern, and the simple scarf ring that replaces bulky knots.

Somehow she makes two 90cm scarves look manageable. That is a lot of silk to wrangle.

For details about how MaiTai puts together her mixes, see this post on maitaispicturebook.com

Photos: maitaispicturebook.com

Easing in 

One need not venture into hallowed Hermèsland to play with double scarves. Here's an example of two long scarves, a plaid and a solid pashmina. Jane mentioned she's worn a pattern with a coordinating solid and I thought I could try that.


Another ease-in is wearing a "tucker" or pochette size at the neck, just peeking from a larger second scarf. I couldn't find an example on line so shot myself in a cashmere-silk pochette worn 'cowboy style' and a large cashmere and wool blanket-size wrap. I liked this, and it extends the utility of a small scarf.



The look without the homework

Jane's London winter climate is milder than that of Montréal, but indoors can be chilly in both places, so here are two options that will work both indoors and out.

In a fine hand-washable wool, look for one like multi-patterned "Celeste" scarf from Princesse et Dragon. Price, $CDN 140; available in several colourways.

If you enjoy the exuberance of pattern-mixing but not the sorting out, a double-sided scarf, such as the silk kantha, does the mixing for you. The stitched silk is warm, light and snuggly. Shown, kantha sari wrap scarf in aqua and deep pink; price, $US120 from House of Wandering Silk. (See post on choosing good kantha here.)

Austere or audacious? 

Any accessory in multiples—whether necklaces, scarves, rings or  bags—requires more thought. The anticipation of this effort transports me to age fifteen, trying to dress for a party: This? That? Where is my blue skirt, dammit? I hated it. But I saw how combining scarves can be fun, even for a minimalist like me who believes, at heart, that a beautiful scarf should be given its dedicated place.

But should I spot a couple of scarves worn in an arresting mix, say houndstooth with an oversized floral, I will appreciate that passing Bird of Paradise, especially in dark December. I might nod hello in that pochette-plus-wrap,  and thank Jane for her openness to exploring new ways of working with what we have. 

 


 


Comments

Laura J said…
Multiple scarves can be a bit overwhelming; your examples are inspiring though. I’ve used scarf layers with a kimono like jacket sort of copying the Han 17 layer kimono style. A challenge to choose the right scarves and they were a bit slippery but I liked the look for a gallery opening.
LauraH said…
The double sided Kanthas are fun to wear, although more for spring/fall than winter. And I would also mix a couple of lighter weight scarves in those seasons as well. Winter, as you said, already has too much going on especially now with having to wrangle a mask along with earmuffs and glasses. My second scarf is always around my neck under my coat so not the look you are going for here. Definitely something to keep in mind when the weather warms up:-)
Mary said…
Being petite, I always focus on proportions when dressing. It would take very careful pairing of two scarves, particularly ones with different designs, to not overwhelm me. Your method of mixing a plain scarf with a patterned one would likely be the best choice for me. I do have a number of cowl neck sweaters that leave my neck feeling exposed (indoors and out), so I usually wear a small silk scarf styled inside the neckline. Guess I could try adding another scarf draped over the outside of the cowl and across my shoulders, but again, it would depend on finding the right proportions and complimentary hues/design so that the effect would not simply look too busy or overwhelming.
Duchesse said…
Laura J: A gallery opening seems an ideal occasion to try this more 'artful' approach.

LauraH: I wear my kantha as an outer wear scarf to around -12C or so, because two layers of silk feel surprisingly warm, and they are washable. But when wind chill hits -15C on goes the thick muffler that wraps around a couple times and crosses the chest for extra warmth.

Mary: My experiment is courtesy of Jane's lead; she has worn a silk scarf and a pashmina. I like filling in a neckline with a small silk scarf.
Vancouver Barbara said…
You look absolutely gorgeous in your scarf duet. Everything "goes"! Though I didn't realize it was a thing to wear two scarves, I've been doing it this autumn. My choice has been a printed Japanese crepe mobius ring scarf with a big plain colored scarf for extra warmth. I like the look very much. And they feel great together.
Hummingbird5 said…
I definitely do not have the neck-and-chest real estate to make this work, but I wish I did. So interesting, and endless opportunities for play! Ugh! to being short.
Anonymous said…
At first I was skeptical of the idea of wearing two scarves. I still balk at wearing a necklace plus scarf and at 4'11", I have to be very careful about how much fabric I carry on my frame. However, looking at MaiTai's clever pairing of monochromatic scarves warmed me up to the idea. But I was totally enthralled by the combination you created. I have so many small squares that I do not wear (too cowboy) but the combination of the two scarves-brilliant! Thank you. I will be experimenting soon. Carol in VT
Mardel said…
I like the photo of you with the smaller scarf worn inside the larger shawl. I may play with that idea with some of my smaller scarves. I have a collection of small squares my late husband gave me, but which I never warmed up to wearing and your post has inspired me to play. I have learned that small or skimpy scarves are problematic on me given that I am moderately tall, have long neck and that I prefer my hair worn up (or short).
Jane in London said…
Bravo! Thank you so much for your thoughts on this - as always, lots to think about. I really love the pochette + cashmere combo you put together; it looks balanced and very flattering. This is the sort of 'double scarfing' blend I like most.

I'm not so sure about the two-silk-scarves-together route, though perhaps if one has Mai Tai's extensive collection and sure eye...

Thank you again!

Jane in London
Duchesse said…
Vancouver Barbara: Oh, that sounds gorgeous. Omce again I wish commenters could upload photos!

Hummingbird5: I imagine you could carry one of the double-sided (if not too bulky) or mixed-pattern designs if you wished. Here, I see many petite women in big blanket scarves and they look great but then they are wearing only one.

Carol in VT: Hi, neighbour! The other thing about that small scarf at the neck is that it's so comforting in our cold winter, stopping that wash of cold air on the neck.

Mardel: The pochette size works really well simply rolled and knotted inside a shirt, too. They can look skimpy with a jewel neck but sit nicely inside a collar.

Jane in London: This really is why I write Pdesp, to share ideas and reflect on the passing parade, Thank you again for your note. MaiTai has an astonishing collection but mixing just one with a solid would also work well.
jennede said…
Mai Tai is the queen of scarves and I have got lots of inspiration from her blog over the years. I do like your option - a smaller silk scarf around the neck and then a larger winter scarf. I will try thta.
Vancouver Barbara said…
I'll see what I can do about getting a photo to you. I am a techno nitwit so these things that are easy for others are not easy for me. I do not have a handy 12 year old to help!

The posts with the most