Pearls: Special pieces, special prices

In a small boutique, I saw a woman in a clay-coloured sweatshirt and a glittery, flashy, vintage-looking costume-jewellery brooch. I loved the optimism and insouciance, and I thought, Unknown Sister, thanks for the smile. (She was wearing that with grey knit pants.)

Her earrings were genuine baroque pearls. If you want to mix real and faux, real pearls work wonderfully to add a glow glass pearls just can't touch.

Kojima's blues-busting baubles (22% off beginning December 6) 

My favourite-by-far pearl company's sale begins Sunday, Dec. 6, no code required. Three things I'm tempted by, at different price points:


Left: Only one pair of jeweller Marc Gounard's earrings are presently offered and they are bewitching: Sea of Cortez mabé pearls paired with with faceted labradorites. The silver sawtooth setting is casual enough for everyday life, but wait till you see the flashing overtones on those pearls! During the sale they are about $US 333. 

Upper right: Wear Some Joy bracelet; sale price about $US 95. The name of the piece says it all, and the burst of exuberance has enough presence to wear alone, or layers well. Bonus: This is 8.5in., a generous length, and hard to find these days. (This would also make a merry gift.)

Bottom right: The Avalon South Sea and Pearl Waterfall rope is a graceful aria of a necklace. The varied shapes of the CFWS (baroque, oval, near-round) make it casual enough to wear with anything, the glowing 10.8-14.5mm South Seas are lavishly luxurious. At about 37in., long enough to double, yet lighter than many ropes because of the varied size. Sale price, about $475. This one is a grabber.

Pearls for a song... or a carol


For a wee treat or a gift that seems more luxurious than the pricetag, this is not the usual J. Crew fake pearl product. These freshwater pearl tri-drop earrings with gold-plated brass and titanium posts are only $CDN 22 (on sale now)! I like the movement, and the price is low enough to make someone else happy too!

Sumptuous and spendy... but what a year (or any other rationalization one needs)

Your Santa Baby may be generous indeed, and I am including you. Santa has the experience to be discerning, that is why they (Santa is non-gendered now) say, "Nothing but the best for you, dumpling"! And Santa has encouraged one of my favourite jewellery boutiques, Tomfoolery in London's Muswell Hill neighbourhood, to offer a 10% discount on Sunday, December 6, both in person and online.

Maria Frantzi's Blush Pearl and Sapphire Oxidized Silver Drop Earrings are special without being over-designed and a 10% reduction off the price, £1, 520, is a nice touch. Notice the sapphires are pink on one side, white on the other.  



On my dream list, replacing visions of sugarplums.

Though I put the J. Crew earrings in the window because they're a steal, thank you for supporting artisans—those who make jewellery by hand—during this extremely difficult time.  




Comments

Laura J said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura J said…
At first I thought that the earring was a pendant and you’d look fabulous wearing it. I’m not so sure about them as earrings..the sea of Cortez pendants are pretty impressive!
Jane in London said…
Oh, that pearl waterfall rope is just lovely! What a nice thing that would be to find in your Christmas stocking...:)

I'm also a bit in love with the Tahitian pearl studs with the tiny diamonds set into them, shown on the Kojima website.

Jane in London
LauraH said…
Sarah's Wear Some Joy pieces tempted me a few months ago and now you've dangled them again! Just my style. Have to think whose list I can put these on:-)
Leslie M said…
I need a Santa baby! I cannot justify another pearl anything, but that probably won’t stop me from doing a little shopping during the sale. There are so many temptations. I’ll show you mine if you show me yours. 😇
Duchesse said…
Laura J: Yes, the pendants made by Marc Gounard are stunning!

Jane: Sarah made me a similar necklace using so of my old pearls, and adding new ones, the smaller in the piece So I can say, it is an especially graceful piece because of those varied sizes.
I love the tiny Tahitians too.

LauraH: These colourful choices (as necklaces, too)— just at the right time!

Leslie M: I just •did• show you mine... temptations, that is ;) I should also say the reduction for this year 's sale is especially generous.
Leslie M said…
The earrings are now off the site! That didn’t take long.
Allison said…
I am especially lucky as my employer gifted me with a lovely pair of drop pearl and gold earrings as a retirement gift. They are a pearl stud with a tiny diamond cut 14k gold chain dangling a slightly larger pearl. The pearls are a decent size and have a lovely glow. I have owned many types of precious//semi precious stone earrings but these are my first pearls. Very excited to wear them with a black cashmere turtleneck I gifted myself after years of yearning for one. All your pearl jewellery suggestions are lovely. I have a nice strand of pearls that I have worn only a couple times because the silly fish hook clasp broke! THAT I am having replaced and am considering having them restrung with coloured string as you have shown in a previous post but I dunno..making it into a rope with smaller pearls or gold stations is a thought too. Glad to see that like me you have no problem with having jewelry ‘reworked’ into a new piece. I’ve inherited a lot of lovely items that were just not my style so have had them redesigned to work for me. Have you ever asked your readers how many of them do that? I would be curious to know.
Duchesse said…
Alison: First, congratulations on your retirement; that is such a glorious gift. When beauty and sentiment are joined, jewellery is more than just adornment.

There are many posts here on renovating pearls, some with photos of reader's projects, and you can always e-mail me personally for suggestions. Especially now ;) To find my posts on what to do with pearls, use the left "Labels" sidebar and scroll down to the labels "rehab your pearls, "reno your pearls: and "restyling jewellery".

As I've said in these posts, restringing with a colour and changing the clasp (a fishhook is dated and makes even good pearls look cheap) is a simple, relatively low cost update. I have also shown what mixing in new pearls or other elements looks like. I'm ardent about this, because pearls look so wonderful near the face—not in a box in a drawer.

When you get your pearls back, if you would be willing to send a photo I'd love that. My email is under my photo.
Duchesse said…
Leslie M: I believe it is best to act promptly if one really wants a something on that site, because most of them are one of a kind.

The posts with the most