Is older wiser?

I remember the occasion when it first happened, in my late fifties. I was at a conference where I presented to the general assembly. After several days, I had racked up compliments about being "wise", and was avidly sought for advice during our limited free time.

I thought, Why me

Then I remembered the friend who said that, as one of the senior persons in her profession, she kept hearing that "wise" compliment. She said, "I used to be called 'smart', and now I've been upgraded to 'wise', which really means 'old... but still useful'."  "Wise" she said, could also be a synonym for having emotional intelligence, an accolade she liked.

Thanks be for her reflection. I'll spend my One Thing I Know for Sure token right now: Age does not necessarily confer that estimable quality. You might accrue wisdom as you move through life, but you might also end up in a philosophical equivalent of Costco the week before Christmas, overwhelmed by choice, unable to find coherence, let alone wisdom.

Wisdom is experience ennobled by moral discernment. Intelligence is a contributing factor, but so is the channel through which wisdom is transmitted. Toni Morrison was often called wise; Fran Liebowitz is trenchant, but not wise. (And these two were great friends.)

Lately, I listen to podcasts while walking. I began with true crime, perhaps to remind myself that worse things can happen. When I realized serial killers are depressing and boring, I moved to more edifying material: the BBC's Reith Lectures Series, The London Review of Books interviews, and as lighter fare, "Dear Sugars", the personal-advice series hosted by Cheryl Strayed and Steve Almond. 

Steve Almond and Cheryl Strayed

Strayed supplied the requested counsel; Almond added illuminating literature selections, a proxy wisdom. In the best episodes, Strayed embodied Aristotle's concept of "practical wisdom" (phronesis), a moral dimension beyond advice and empathy (though those are abundant too.)

Why did being called wise make me squirm? "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown", Shakespeare warned in "Henry IV".  First, I sensed that the label was attached to my age, like being called "distinguished"; second, it seemed to require that I display other virtues, such as moderation. I wanted to enjoy the conference's raucous parties, singing off-key with real power (one of my hidden talents), while chugging cheap wine and cardboardy potato chips like everyone else. 

After a dissonant contribution to "Guantanamara", I fled to my room where I read for awhile while depleting a stash of peanut butter-cracker packets, and discovered that the word derives from the Proto-Indo-Europeaan root weid-, which means "to see"—not "to think" or "to speak".



I thought of Barbara Jean, a woman I'd met at another conference. She spoke of trees, of how her relationship with trees had rescued her from bottomless grief over the loss of a child. Twenty years before "The Hidden Life of Trees" by Peter Wohlleben became a best-seller, she told us about the alliance among trees, and their part in a network of communication with other life forms.

If wisdom's root is seeing, I could relax into just that, seeing, sensing— sagacious contributions not required. And then I might speak, should the occasion arise, and let people make of it what they would.

What is wisdom to you? Are you wise?




Comments

Mardel said…
I like the idea of wisdom as seeing. There is a long tradition of this in mysticism, philosophy, as well as in many cultural, religious, and ethnological traditions. Obviously I am trying to cover my basis here, but mostly I think this cuts to the core of what wisdom means through much of human experience, although I do also think there is an aspect of speaking truth to wisdom. I also think that few become wise, although many gain some glimmers of wisdom in varying degrees. It seems to me that there is a great divide between gaining wisdom and becoming wise. Perhaps the act of successfully aging in and of itself requires the accumulation of some degree of wisdom, but I am not certain this is guaranteed, or even that all people seek it out. I sometimes wonder if our technological prowess has allowed us to grow old without the need to accumulate wisdom.

I also fear that there is more than a touch of ageism in the current use of “wise” as a way of labeling and also constraining older people. If all older people are “wise”, how do we know when we are following a fool?
LauraH said…
Wisdom always seems to be associated with age. If someone young has the quality they are said to be "wise beyond their years". But I agree with you that age does not equal wisdom. Many older people in my life lack the ability or desire to look inside themselves which I think is a key component of wisdom. Having wisdom or being the local wise woman is a pretty singular gift, not given to many.

I would say I have gained in experience and understand a few things now but I'll never attain wisdom, my mind is not sufficiently reflective. Wisdom to me is knowing and accepting yourself and your world with generosity. It's a light to guide others on their way through life. Looking for wisdom is tricky, so much depends on our stage of life and circumstances. I've found some wisdom in this blog.

BTW a podcast recommendation - BBC In Our Time - excellent.
Anonymous said…
Goodness! So many wise thoughts from you, Mardel, and LauraH! Yes, wisdom as "seeing." Thank you Plato. I like Mardel's statement "...few become wise, although many gain some glimmers of wisdom..." and LauraH's comment,"...people...lack the ability or desire to look inside themselves which I think is a key component of wisdom." And, "...knowing and accepting yourself and your world with generosity."

My daughter often calls me wise because my husband and I raised her and her older brother to be smart, resilient, and highly-regarded employees. I am not convinced that I was wise but that I listened to the wisdom of others and took to heart the (good) advice that was offered.

My highly political comment is, I am dumbstruck by how much wisdom is now lacking in both our politicians and the citizens who complain & protest about mask-wearing, perhaps due to the dearth of science education in the US. That being said, Vermont's governor and Cabinet has done an amazing job of keeping Covid numbers low. As my daughter said back in April/June, "He may not have been the governor we wanted but he was the governor we needed." Words of wisdom, perhaps? Carol in VT
Allison said…
Am recently retired from a female centric profession where I worked with many young people with years of higher education under their belts. I noticed the words ‘wise’ or ‘wisdom’ were sprinkled liberally amongst the accolades I received when I left. I do not consider myself wise. I am patient with many years of experience which I believe confers a certain ability to deal with a difficult situation with a level of ease and finesse that younger colleagues are still developing. I agree 100% with the previous comment about the ‘key component of wisdom is one’s ability to look inside themselves’. Self reflection is required to develop wisdom although I must admit that after looking inside myself the only wisdom I often come up with is not to repeat the mistake that led me to self reflect in the first place! I have met many older people who I would never consider ‘wise’ so I think it’s unfair to label the elderly en masse as wise. Sometimes we are less afraid to speak up or point out what needs fixing but we are just giving voice to what others are thinking and that’s not wisdom. Anyway being a wise woman is a heavy crown to bear, like being ‘head girl’ in school. It’s one more standard to live up to when all one wants to do is unapologetically sing karaoke loudly, drink plonky wine and eat potato chips. A wise choice:)
Laura J said…
In our time is an excellent listen! Also, “more or less” and shedunnit

Words drift in and out of use...wise, like crone, many years ago, can be a way of labeling because others are unsure, unable or not interested enough in finding out what’s going on with an older woman. Age only equals experiences...useful if only one internally processes them and can wring a useful truth. Sadly, those truths are things you already knew or suspected! A wise (read older) woman may pronounce like the Delphic Sybil and also sing Karaoke, feel like she’s 22 inside and 85 outside, knowingly drink that extra cocktail in front of the fire risking an 18 year old hangover the next morning. We are complex creatures and I feel that I’m still figuring things out myself.
Chris from Indy said…
I love this: “ You might accrue wisdom as you move through life, but you might also end up in a philosophical equivalent of Costco the week before Christmas, overwhelmed by choice, unable to find coherence, let alone wisdom.”

A fantastic turn of phrase. Well done!
Jane in London said…
I sometimes think of 'wise' as 'smart' but without the ego. It's by no means the exclusive preserve of the old, though older people may perhaps arrive at it more easily simply by virtue of having survived on this planet, and successfully negotiated their fellow humans, for many years. But it can also be true that "there's no fool like an old fool"...;)

I don't think wisdom is, necessarily, a quality that someone has across the board. We may be wise in some areas, but not in others. Or on some occasions, but not on others.

Using the term 'wise' for women has often also seemed to imply some degree of occult (as in hidden) knowledge and/or skill (we think of the French term for midwife being sage-femme, and the old German term was weise frau). I don't think we ever attach that quality to the term 'wise man', which is interesting.

I remember a junior member of my team asking whether they could discuss something with me that was troubling them. I agreed, of course, and then sat patiently while they explained their dilemma. I continued to sit patiently (nodding and making encouraging noises) as they worked their way through the possible things they might do to resolve this dilemma, and the potential consequences of each. Eventually, they arrived by themselves at a sensible course of action. This seemed to provide them with great relief and, as they left the room, they thanked me for my "wise counsel". I had actually said nothing - which, I suppose, was the wise thing to do!

Jane in London

Jules said…
Thank you for such an interesting post. I am not sure how this came about but this year has been about listening instead of speaking for me. I do not know if that makes me wise but it has made me aware that, often, my input is not essential in a conversation-hubris made me think it was! I work closely with 3 others who are talkers and that sometimes creates a "maelstrom" for me. Sitting and listening until I am asked for my thoughts serves to calm me and adds impact to what I contribute even if my contribution is simply to compliment the thoughts expressed by others, to agree with their ideas, or to share my ideas, even if they are sometimes discarded. Maybe I needed to listen more to "feel heard"-if that makes sense?

As your readers share their comments, I learn so many things about life and I am so grateful!
Good health, joy, and happiness to you all!
Kamchick said…
Very thought provoking post...for me, wisdom arrives over time and collected experience. It involves the ability to see the 'big picture', discard the frivolous and pay close attention to what really matters. It seems to me that some people, not necessarily young or old, have the ability to really 'see' what matters and this comes through to others as 'wisdom'. I am always especially grateful to know these people and to listen to what they say.
Duchesse said…
All: I always feel that a post is a pull on one of those old-school slot machines, I never know what will evoke a response, or what kind, and this one was a jackpot of illuminating, thoughtful expansions on the theme of the "wise woman", or the quality in general.

I'd never t thought of listening as an element of wisdom, and the observation that one can be wise in one aspect of life and not in others rings true fir me. Each comment here is a gift.

Anonymous said…
"A wise old owl lived in an oak,
The more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke, the more he heard,
Now, wasn't he a wise old bird?

Old English nursery rhyme from late 1800s, modified in 1930. Wikipedia.
I heard this quoted recently on Upstairs, Downstairs, the original one.
Your post brought this to mind.

The posts with the most