Tackling travel restrictions

On my last "Uneven Aging" post,  I noted that the pandemic had aged me. Reader Beth said that she, too felt older, and added "... as we "mark time", unable to do many of the things that we may have planned, or to see the people who most matter to us, we may resent the robbing of time, and wonder how many years are left no matter how careful we are."

Particularly bittersweet was my friend Marilyn's 60th birthday gift from her sister and family in early February, a chic suitcase and matching tote. The idea was to replace her worn luggage for a Rhone river cruise in May; now the bag holds books. She is hoping—but not expecting—to go in spring 2021.



We are not the only ones feeling the restrictions. For every twenty-something who jumped on a dirt-cheap ticket to Bali, others postponed their hikes in Ecuador or a year working abroad. The difference is the sense of urgency: our itchy feet stand in the sand of an ever-running hourglass.

 I see three strategies rolling out among those in the Passage:

1. Embrace your Inner Homebody

Beth said: "I find that I've thought much harder about my priorities, and this has been valuable and, frankly, not unwelcome. Living more simply, making my own bread and yogurt again, eating better, choosing greener options, taking care of exercise and health as much as possible, and helping others have all been choices that value the moment we're actually in."

John ordered a bargain-priced mint-condition CD player on eBay to finally enjoy his old jazz collection again; another friend takes Spanish lessons with an online tutor to prepare for an eventual trip but also, she says, "to keep the brain synapses working". 

Many have commented about the balm of helping others. But, for the first time in my life, persons are offering to help me. A gourmet-cook friend asked if we'd like a full-Monty Thanksgiving dinner delivered to our door; a young man in the building offers to give me a lift whenever he sees me striding out for my walk. 

I've homebodied up: my recipe repertoire has expanded, I've reconnected with cherished friends. Like Beth, I'm fitter, and—unless I over-consume Covid news—sleeping better.


2. Reapportion the budget

Those who had a travel kitty have used some to make the present more engaging. Deborah bought a new kiln; Susan L. sold her rambling money-pit house and is shopping for much smaller one, with a budget for a bit of renovation so she can age in place. Ellen invested in her sister's business, in which she has begun to work part-time.

Lise, who lives in Paris, has long taken an annual year-end jaunt of three or four days with another single woman; their goal has been to spend New Year's Eve in a fascinating, beautiful place: the opera in Vienna, a castle in Ireland, a tango club in Madrid. This year she will not travel. She said, "That always ended up costing a great deal, in fact too much. I'm finally framing drawings my mother gave me years ago."

And me? I'm staring at a new-condition sewing machine, a gift from a friend who was a seasonal resident and can't cross the border. Will I revive my rusty skills? Beth reminds me there are tutorials for this model on YouTube, and if I get into good fabrics, I can easily divert a chunk of travel savings.


3. Work around restrictions

Notice I said "work around", not "cheat", unnamed American expat who asked me how to slip into the US from Quebec... to shop at Trader Joe's. "Work around" means that you get away and comply with all public health requirements. Going anywhere now entails a level-headed risk assessment. The situation can fluctuate so risk should also consider cancellation or trip-disruption costs.

Last summer, Canadians were allowed to travel domestically. Neighbour Gigi flew across Canada to visit family on a tiny coastal island with an even tinier infection rate. She got a test immediately before travel, booked a comfortable Air BnB house, and stayed for several weeks. 

This winter, she will spend three months in Mexico in the laid-back village she's come to love. Worse comes to worst, she is prepared to pay for the medical care not covered by travel insurance. 


No snowbird is as fiercely devoted as the Quebec species, and if their wings are clipped, you don't want to stand too close. Barred from Florida, several other neighbours are bound for the open-border Caribbean and Mexico. Bonne chance!


4. Live with ambiguity... and hope

Grousing about how "unfair" all this is only heightens discontent. When an acquaintance, V., said, "The government better keep its promise to us!" regarding a possible date for easing restrictions, I sympathized with her exasperation and frustration, but noted that nothing has been promised.  

Gigi keeps her eye on the future, when the world unfurls again: she's planning a trip to Australia for  the January 2022 celebration of friends' 50th wedding anniversary and researching a food tour through Asia (by bus) with a son, date tbd. She does not think "if", but "when".

I'm between these two; I keep a file of interesting destinations both nearby and distant, but no bookmarked flights. Those alluring book now and get one free night deals? I'm not in.

You have to laugh, even if it's dark humour. As I said to Le Duc the other evening, "Well, another day down of hiding from a microbe."  When the going gets tough, the tough stay home (and make the best of it.)




Comments

Kamchick said…
A lot of wisdom in this post...

I have been a sewist most of my life. Sewing machines and sergers are wonderful these days, as are Canadian online fabric sources and the ever growing number of Indie pattern companies with tutorials and sew-alongs to assist with getting great results and very satisfying learning experiences. 'New' fabrics have appeared and old ones have evolved - these are a joy to work with. May you enjoy your possible new adventure!

If you knit - check out Georgian Bay Fibre Co for the most gorgeous yarns and colours I've ever seen. Such a talented young woman!
LauraH said…
Yes I've felt like that, time slipping away and all the places I want to see and can't get to. For the most part however, I'm grateful for the places I have visited, and the people I've met and stay in touch with. One thing I've noticed - instead of worrying about taking too many photos, now I'm so glad I took what I did. Looking at them or using them as a screen saver brings back such good memories.

Logically this would be the perfect time to plan future trips but I can't until the future looks a clearer, just a mental block I guess. Like some others I am walking more and making an effort to stay in touch with friends via phone, etc. Don't think I'll go back to sewing but I bought a bunch of gorgeous wool to knit a blanket this winter - my big project. I tried to reapportion my travel $ to a new fence but that is not happening so I will hang onto the money as safe travel may be more costly in the future. Luckily the garden still needs work and the weather is wonderful!

Araminta said…
We feel very happy that we managed a wonderful trip to Rajasthan early this year immediately before the Covid-19 crisis, arriving back in London scant days before India closed its airports. We are living on the memories. Further planned trips to Europe have had to be cancelled. I'm repurposing our travel budget this year to helping my daughter buy her small flat here. London housing prices being what they are she needs all the help she can get.
Anonymous said…
I am in the process of shaking off Covid fatigue. I did very little for my health or well-being in September and October. However, I realized that I would be facing a looooooong winter if I did not get up and change. So, daily walking in the woods, drinking more water, tracking my foods on an app were put in place this week.

We were supposed to leave for Ireland next week and return two days before the US Thanksgiving. Thankfully the tour company has forwarded our deposit to next October. My traveling has been restricted to visiting my daughter who lives south of us, but that may come to an end soon. Our numbers, while the smallest in the country, are steadily going up.

I will be glad when the US ballots are finally counted and we will know the outcome. No matter which way the vote ends up, the US will be in for a "bumpy ride" for some time to come.

I have masks prepped and ready to sew if they will be needed for friends and family. After having trouble with my lower-end machines, I am seriously thinking of trading them in for a really good model. I like to sew but did not have the time until retirement.

Thanks for updates from Montreal. Although our lives are really different (urban/rural) I consider you a neighbor. My husband has a friend from Montreal but we hadn't heard from him for a long time. After a few inquiries, we finally did.

Sorry for my long-windedness. Most of my friends are still teaching and are far too busy to even send a text. So you are the victim of my social vacuum! Carol in VT

Jane in London said…
As a relative (though not descendant) of Field Marshal Montgomery, I am delighted to see you use the term "full Monty"!

Jane in London
Jean Shaw said…
Yes to the sewing! (In Canada, you are blessed to have Jalie patterns--easy to grade between different sizes, and no US shipping charges!). I just finished a skirt that had been hanging around in UFO status for far too long, and have a number of projects lined up.

Yes, too, to all other hobbies, to anything that engages our minds and prompts our creativity.

Anonymous said…
Inveterate readers must be grateful now for an escape that's free (thank you, public librarians), can be done at home, and doesn't require a partner or team. I've spent the last months catching up on all the nineteenth-century literature I'd been meaning to get to these last four decades, but never had the time. The singlemindedness required for it makes me feel like I'm earning a private Masters degree and reminds me of an Englishman my father used to know who took classes while interned in a WWII Japanese POW camp, taught by downed RAF pilots-- and received credits for them after the war! I'm unlikely to get any credits, but I reward myself with the film adaptations, whose costume design often bests my imagination.
chic swordswoman said…
Inveterate readers must be grateful now for an escape that's free (thank you, public librarians), can be done at home, and doesn't require a partner or team. I've spent the last months catching up on all the nineteenth-century literature I'd been meaning to get to these last four decades, but never had the time. The singlemindedness required for it makes me feel like I'm earning a private Masters degree and reminds me of an Englishman my father used to know who took classes while interned in a WWII Japanese POW camp, taught by downed RAF pilots-- and received credits for them after the war! I'm unlikely to get any credits, but I reward myself with the film adaptations, whose costume design often bests my imagination.
Duchesse said…
All (so far): I am buoyed by your warm, wistful responses. Just now I am consumed by the news.

Carol in VT: we are indeed neighbours so feel free to be as winded as you wish.

LauraH: Hanging on to a kitty is never a bad idea... except for pearls.

chic swordswoman: costume design is a richly rewarding world.

Araminta: H! Such a lovely thing to do for your daugher; this will affect the rest of her life.

Jane: A remarkable family history; I am curious about which traits you have inherited.

Jean Shaw: Thank you for the reference, I appreciate both the low cost and that it is local. Being away from sewing I am not accustomed to the prices of some patterns when I used to be able to make the piece for the same price.

Kamchick: Your enthusiasm is motivating; if only one could box up skill and forward! Warm thanks!


Jane said…
I have not seen #1 son in MTL for over a year now. He was afraid to leave Canada while his permanent residency was pending and then Covid closed the border. #2 son is doing his Schulich music degree remotely from the States. Far from ideal for a music major. His little apartment sits empty. He will return in January no matter what as it will be his last semester. His senior recital and graduation just HAVE to happen. -Lily
Jean Shaw said…
Duchesse, at the moment, you can't think of sewing as being a cost-saving activity compared to shopping (unless you manage to score great fabric for free!). However, that may change as the fashion industry continues to change in the shadow of COVID. (Claire Kennedy, of Sewing Artistry, wrote a long post on that topic recently.)
Lynn said…
I started off well redoing flowerbeds, cleaning out closets and taking day trips to small towns in our area that we had never visited. Then I tore a rotator cuff that just won't heal. It's frustrating and painful (and not helped by the crazy election here in the US)and it limits my sleep, exercise and daily activities. So I am also one of your readers who is catching up on books I never had time to read, and I'm planning to take a course on project management in case I decide to do some consulting once I can drive again. Just wish I knew when that will be.....
materfamilias said…
A great post and very satisfying conversation among your readers.
As with any of life's vicissitudes, complaining and whining won't help at all, although they can be initially satisfying (and I've been known to indulge!). But I have a friend whose husband was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour about a month ago and isn't expected to live out the week. . . So I try to keep my railing to a dull roar and meanwhile have been knitting, sewing, getting my Italian to a useful level, sending Snail Mail to the grandkids I can't see for now . . . and my latest project has been organizing my various sketchbooks and journals from the last 15 years' travels. Not quite the same as flying somewhere and walking those streets again, but surprisingly immediate, some of those memories. . .
Duchesse said…
Jean Shaw: I meant the patterns not the fabric. In fact that is why I stopped sewing over 35 yers ago, I had a thing for gorgeous fabric and then produced too many wadders with it.

materfamilias: It's astonishing how those travel diaries summon memories that involve every sense, good for you for tackling them.

Lynn: Best wishes for that painful injury's healing. And it's so limiting. I have finally discovered podcasts which allow me to rest my hand and still be stimulated.

The posts with the most