Can a mask be chic?

Masks are our lot, so let's put them in the window. I was amused to see, almost immediately, a contingent trying to make them chic.

My first masks set the bar very high; they were made by my longtime friend Jeanne, trained in fashion design, and possessed of a lavish stash of Asian fabric. Jeanne generously sewed for friends and family but somewhere past one hundred got sick of the repetition and stiff neck, so retreated to her usual pastime, master point level bridge.

In today's window, masks accessible to you—with the usual yada-yadda that these are not medical-grade and that fit is more important than pattern. Or should be.

Elastic-snap to the marvellous blogger and branding expert Nancy Friedman (who writes Fritinancy) for telling me about her favourites from independent artists, offered on Bungalow6 by the writer of the much-loved Brainpickings, Maria Popova—so that's an extra fillip of serendipity.  

Photos: Maria Popova on Society6.com 

Left: Double rainbow photo print; upper right, fishes; lower right, owls. Price, about $US 14 plus shipping. The entire mask collection (all are "pleated" style) is here.

When I met Jeanne for a walk, she was wearing not one of hers, but one made in Montréal by Jeanne's son's friend, Crissy Barbosa, whose Etsy shop is here.

These "centre-seamed" styles are breathable, come with a removable polypropylene insert, and available in three sizes, with either round-the-head or ear loop elastic.  The selection changes seasonally.

Photos: CrisXochitl.com

Top: Renaissance Mask, $CDN 30; bottom, Fable Florals from the Art Print series, $CDN 20.


Wild women

The National Museum of Women in the Arts offers a small but intriguing collection. I immediately wanted "Mujeres Muralistas" by Scarlett Baily, showing five Mexican women muralists. (Price, $US 16). The black and white works with everything!

Photo: National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington, D.C. 

A flirty finale

The finale is from Montréal's MaisonRaphaelle.  The designer is a Passage reader who contacted me to show her designs made in luxurious silk and cotton sateen.  I immediately ordered one. These are a bit pricier than some, but made with superior fabric, a wired nose, and a selection of sizes (from Youth Small to Adult XL). (The difference between mine and the ones shown is that the elastics on mine were in two pieces, so I tied them to fit my ears.)


Photos: MaisonRaphaelle. com  

Left: Bedside Manner; upper right, Masquerade Ball; bottom right, 24 Rue du Faubourg St-Honoré, all in cotton sateen. These are $US 25 each, and each mask comes with the option of two PM2.5 filters at no additional charge.

Maison Raphaelle make a selection of scarves and matching masks in kimono silk, definitely a siren call to up one's mask game. 

And consider the cheeky mask and panty set, (shown, the lush Dripping Blossoms pattern); would this not be the saucy gift of 2020?


Photos: MaisonRaphaelle.com 

Despite stunning fabrics or sexy add-ons, I still see masks as gear; however, even gear can display elevated design. And after wearing them for half a year, I appreciate careful construction that holds up to repeated laundering, and pretty fabric. They have become like throw pillows for the face.

I have not adopted matchy-masky, myself. The notion that one's face covering must assiduously coordinate with one's attire is yet another way to drive consumption and I think, Leave women alone, dammit. Pandemic crabbiness, I guess. But, if a mask made from an interesting print or a pattern that has personal relevance makes us endure them with more equanimity, why not? 

Please contribute any favourite sources that will fulfill online orders. 






Comments

Jane in London said…
I really struggled with pleated masks - they just don't seem to fit the contours of my face properly, whatever I do. I discovered that the centre-seam masks made by Bloch (dance wear suppliers) fit me beautifully, are adjustable round the ears and wash (and dry) easily. They are designed to be worn while dancing as well as during ordinary activity, and don't feel suffocating or claustrophobic imo.

The 'sand' colour is unobtrusive on a pale-skinned woman like me and there is 'cocoa' which would work similarly for dark skins, as well as black, navy, white and ballet pink. Available online from Bloch and many other dance supplies sites.

I prefer my mask to not be too obvious - I don't like it to dominate my face. I know not everyone would agree on that point, though, and many enjoy wearing a mask that is a talking point in itself. I don't attempt to match anything, and simply wear 3 sand-coloured masks on rotation!

Jane in London
LauraH said…
Love these options, they are all very attractive. So tempting to keep adding pretty prints to my 'collection'. Re other sources, Toronto Life has a very comprehensive list, made in Toronto and available online https://torontolife.com/style/shopping/face-masks-you-can-buy-from-toronto-designers/ Buying from local shops/artisans is so important right now to keep these small businesses going.

I will look for the adjustable styles you mentioned in the hopes of getting a better fit. Right now I'm wearing soft jersey masks as they are kinder to my nose. A recent dermatological procedure has left it a little sore.

BTW It was pleasant to have a warm face out in yesterdays chiller weather:-)
Jane said…
I remember sitting in my car trying to get up the nerve to put on one of those blue surgical masks to go in a store. I chickened out and left. I was so self conscious at first. I bought pretty neck gaiters as a compromise. They really didn't stay up. I've got plain black Target masks now. Still hate them. The Covid test positive rate is 30% here.
Mardel said…
I have masks I have made, and I have made some for friends. I also have a couple of Maria Popova’s prints, which I bought for my daughter’s family as part of the price goes to the Nature Conservancy. I grow bored with one pattern, but don’t really try to match mask to outfit. And at the moment I am both bored with making masks and willing to support other makers. The mask is the necessity of the day and probably will be for a while longer. Odd how masks fit. For me the kind with a center seam but no pleats do not fit my face, which is just another reminder that we are not all alike and there needs to be a wide variety of options.
Wendy said…
You offer some really pretty options....I’ve made a week’s worth for my husband and myself. We rarely leave the house more than once a week, but we’re still in wildfire season here in Northern California and I wanted to be sure we had enough if we had to evacuate. I just used fabric I had on hand, but as this drags on, I think about ordering some new prints that make my heart sing. My interest in fashion has taken a hit with the pandemic, so I think of my masks as a scarf, not matching, but adding some pattern and pizazz to whatever basic outfit I’m wearing.
Seeing a new post from you show up in my inbox is a much appreciated thrill these days. Thank you!
Hadilly said…
I bought a number of masks from Athleta. They are fine, all dark colors though. I then splurged on Liberty of London masks. I love the color and patterns. They are also light and comfortable.
Laura J said…
My masks are mix of styles and colours. I quickly learned that although tie-at-the-back masks fit the best they are difficult to manage if you want to take it off for a few minutes. Mardel is right..masks are all over the place with fit. I’ve also started wearing non-dangling earrings on days when I’m out masked..they get all tangled up. We’ve had our first taste of winter cold here and having a mask on is certainly less of an issue! Winter: boots, hat, mitts mask sunglasses scarf yikes!
Jessica h. said…
I have two of the Maison Raphaelle face masks. Worth the splurge. The nose wire is significantly stronger compared with mass produced masks and offers a nice shape and delineation from my glasses. No fogging. It washes well in the machine and dryer. I have a wardrobe of solid fabrics secondary to online shopping during the pandemic and so I find the patterns of the designer masks elevate my look. Thank you for this post! I will have to try the others.

The posts with the most