A new face for Valentine's Day

I remember a full pagead on the back of a newspaper: "Yes, it's a stupid, made-up holiday, but it's her favourite stupid, made-up holiday."

It's time we re-invent Valentine's Day. If you have a lover, go ahead and spoil the person, and let's revise the event to a more free-floating expression of affection, positive regard, and caring. Let's use the day as a meditation on how we might better care for others, for ourselves. (The Earth gets its turn on April 22.)

In the name of self-love, I will get dressed up a little: a French jacket of laces, brocades and matelassé; a sheer red lip stain (Sephora Cream Stain Liquid Lipstick in "French Lover") and a pair of Arche booties—the same happen to be nicely on sale just now in limited sizes. Wearing that with blue ankle jeans.


What might we do to demonstrate our love and appreciation? The little chocolate bar that's dropped by your friend's desk, the book that's delivered, or if feeling extravagant (and what opens us to extravagance as much as treating a friend?), the invitation to lunch at your favourite little spot... tomorrow is a perfect, lovely day to offer that gesture. 

I also think of women I'll never meet, who have offered me something recently (even if they will never know.)

1. Taylor Swift and Lana Wilson

On a lark I watched "Miss Americana" (Netflix) and was surprised by Taylor Swift, to whom I have listened rarely. 

At 30, there's steel inside the songbird in sequins, and I liked her—which is not faint praise, once you hear her description of who she was programmed to be since her pre-teen years: be nice, please everyone, offend no one.

The candour of this documentary owes much to the its director, Lana Wilson, (who shot with an all-female crew.) There's music and peeks at the plush star-life, but the most compelling moments are those in which the still-young Swift decides to step forward and say what she thinks, over some powerful opposition.


2. Jennifer Weiner

The journalist and novelist Jennifer Weiner wrote in the New York Times, "I Feel Personally Judged by J. Lo's Body", about her self-inflicted pressure to be 50 and look like the singer. It's wry and well-written, though personally I always suspected Ms. Lopez was created in a lab by a team of former Miss Universes and Dorian Gray.  

I did think she was a little touchy about J. Lo; who can possibly emulate her? It's like wishing your back garden looked like Versailles.


3. Christine Sinclair and Abby Wambach

The 36-year old Canadian team chanpion just broke the international record as all-time top scorer  (for men and women) in international soccer. 

With her last two goals, she surpassed the great Abby Wambach, previous record holder. On Instagram, Wambach congratulated Sinclair, saying "Your victory is our victory", and added, “And to every girl coming up in the Pack with a dream to achieve that which doesn’t yet even exist: We believe in you. Your Pack is with you. And history awaits you.”

That sportswomanship and encouragement choked me up. 




Closely-related to my wish for a reno for February 14th is the naming of today, February 13, as "Galentine's Day". I'd prefer that Valentine's Day level up to include all kinds of love, as well as being civil to everyone, just because.

But fine! A galentine to each and every one of you, for reading, for your comments, requests, and especially the sharing of experiences and resources. 








Comments

Laura J said…
Was listening to a podcast (an old interview with Jane Gross on old age and dying) and was struck by her comments on friendships and how important they are to be recognized. Galen tine day seems good for us “gals” but sometimes it’s the men who are at a loss for friends after a certain age. Hope this isn’t too off topic! Enjoyed your post and plan to find some red construction paper scissors and crafty stuff,❤️💗💖
Duchesse said…
Laura J: Not off topic at all, and that's why I suggest an 'expanded' Feb. 14th, for general amity. I see there is a World Friendship Day, July 30... first I ever heard of this.
LauraH said…
JLo? I don't feel judged, I enjoy the phenomenon:-)

Happy Galentine's Day to you for all the intelligence, hard work, energy and good will you put into this blog.
Jen Lawrence said…
Happy Valentine's Day! I like J. Lo but feel no pressure to look like her. With enough surgeons and trainers I figure I could do that too, but I'd rather live my life!
materfamilias said…
I've just had an out-of-town girlfriend visit for two days, so this post is especially relevant! Happy Gal-entine's Day indeed! You deserve all the Galentine's wishes for being such a good online and occasional IRL friend for probably a decade or so now. This post brilliantly exemplifies what our girlfriends can bring us in terms of inspiration and of reminding us of each other's value as women, beyond the stereotypes associated with that "stupid, made-up holiday" which we supposedly need and want celebrated. Sisters are doing it for themselves!! (that said, because a local, in-my-apartment-kitchen style restaurant (usually only open for lunch/brunch) is doing a special Valentine's Day) I will dress up and go out with my guy for the occasion. And because it's only a few blocks away, I may even wear a pair of black patent pumps with heels (!!) . . . . Won't be rocking them like J. Lo, though. . . ;-)
LauraH said…
Meant to say...I love that jacket, it is gorgeous. Funky and classy at the same time.
Leslie M said…
Happy Galentine’s Day to you, too! I love this post and used it to color my interactions with everyone I saw today. A little more civil, a little more kind and a lot of smiling. I’m sure you looked hot in your beautiful (!) jacket and French Lover lips!
Yes, I love that jacket too. I find the Burt's Bees lip shimmer in Plum (a deep red, but just a little sheer colour and good for poor winter lips) just fine, and now that I'm officially an antique, 20% off yesterday at Pharmaprix. My Galentine event will be listening to a talk on Dalit (untouchable) labour history by a young woman from India we know. Not very romantic, but compelling. Have to get my sorry tusch out the door in this deep cold.

This sounds like a romantic spot for a winter day: https://www.chowhound.com/post/cafe-prague-910739 Very close to Outremont métro.
Maria said…
I too enjoyed the Taylor Swift documentary. I’m not a fan of her music but I like the woman she’s become and it was great to hear a little about the women who made the documentary. Here in Australia, it’s not unusual to celebrate all types of friendships on Valentine”s Day.
Blume said…
Having two pre-romantic-crushes aged kids helps with making Valentine's Day a bit broader. They were excited about the day and offered up their touchingly sincere "Happy Valentine's Day!" wishes when they woke up yesterday morning. My husband and I don't go out for the holiday any more -- not worth it to get a sitter for such a hyped up night -- and so I've taken to making a special dessert for the whole family. This year we had panna cotta with cherry sauce: tasty and pretty!

The posts with the most