"Self Care" is the new "Me Time"

One topic rolling in on my blog feed makes an insistent drumbeat: the younger generations have embraced "self care" as if they minted it. One thirtyish blogger wrote, "My personal goal for 2020 is that, no matter what, my well-being is always going to be a top priority."

These women are usually Millennials, a few Gen Zs; they are working hard, often starting families. Their burden is familiar to us First Wave self-carers, and they will need support. Arlie Hochschild 's 1989 data about the famous "second shift" have been updated, but in 2014, women who worked outside the home were still logging an extra hour more per day of housework and child care than their employed male partners. (Source).

In my mother's thirties, "self care" referred to the application of ointment and a band-aid rather than a trip to the doctor's office. If she wanted to treat herself, there was only the beauty parlor for a trim or manicure that took an hour and a half on purpose. I still remember her opprobrium toward a friend: "I went over to Martha Drake's house and there she was, in the middle of the afternoon, sitting in a lawn chair reading a book!"

You could play golf, join a book club, volunteer at the hospital— but taking regular solo time to devote yourself to your wellbeing made you look like "a weak sister".

But by the '60s, the times brought a wave of new modalities (yoga, meditation, hot rollers) along with societal approval to quit wearing industrial-strength girdles, probably the best self-care strategy ever invented.

Give it another decade—less if you lived in California—and you had reiki, getting your aura adjusted, journaling. In the same month, I bought both Earth shoes and Maude Frizon heels; I was conflicted. When I told Mom I had taken a transcendental meditation course, she thought I had joined a cult.

All this was an advancement over her crowd, who smoked as if cigarettes were physician-prescribed (and they once were). Some used Valium and gin, and hello, Betty Ford.

As the Boomers traversed adulthood, we met the Clairisonic, Pilates classes, waxing every inch God gave us, and while we're in the neighbourhood, vibrators. Even cash-strapped friends hit the nail salons that dropped onto our city's streets overnight. Oprah was our shepherd; she led us to our tubs to read books of affirmations. The Seat of the Soul was in a eucalyptus-scented sauna.

Two succeeding generations have given wellness ever more prominence. The Millennials and Gen Zs remind one another to turn off their phones for a face-to-face conversation, drive with the window down rather than blast AC, kick the four-espressos-a-day habit.

They use tech to track activity, sleep quality and nutrition, or to play guided meditations. We justified Me Time; they have extended it to We Time, tracking their steps along with pals, meeting up at knitting cafés. I like how they have brought self-care into a communal setting.

Despite the free apps, self care is now an estimated $10 billion industry in the US. Avid self carers are also avid buyers. Sleep is the gold standard of self-care, the last frontier for the wellness industry; you can now hire an adult sleep coach, perhaps because the market is already stuffed with "self care mentors".

One site bears the slogan, "Admit it, deep down in your heart, you know you deserve all the love in the world." In case you do not, you can buy an Anxiety Journal.

Just as we pioneered the $100 blowout, plenty of high-ticket items decorate the current wellness marketplace. When one sporadically-employed lifestyle blogger causally mentioned her $200 massage, my mother's voice spoke in my head: "Go to a $15 yoga class!" (Actually, Mom would have said, "Can't you go for a walk, dear? It's so relaxing.")

I did not leave that comment, though. "OK, Boomer" embarrassment is real.





Comments

RKG said…
Best essay I’ve read in a long time. Hits home and reverberates back down the decades.
Andrea said…
Ahem. Yet another article that completely skips over Gen X as if we don’t exist. It’s getting to be a bit comical.
Duchesse said…
Andrea: This blog is written for women over 50, therefore I am not likely to address other generations with as much specificity. There are many blogs out there for your generation, though you are very welcome in the Passage. I am are fully aware you are there, ahem.
VeraL said…
Duchesse, Gen X is starting to be over 50 too!! They have joined us in the "invisible" and "irrelevant" brigade. The only thing they will avoid is the OK, boomer thingie so will slip by without any vitriol hurled at them. Much like the "silent" generation escaped that.

I am surprised at how little people know about boomer women's lives. I never had any kids as it would have been impossible to combine a 60 hour a week career and manage that. I know how hard it was for my colleagues, that's probably why they had only 1 or 2 kids. They had very short mat leaves, had to put tiny infants in daycare. I went to one baby shower at work where the woman went into labour, so they stayed at work as long as possible to use the mini-mat-leave time they had. They returned to unfriendly workplaces that were not supportive of women with children. The men were not doing the daycare runs or taking time off when the kids were sick. I think it's a lot easier for women today.
Leslie said…
I'm in the boomer generation, but I too wondered why Gen X wasn't mentioned since Millennials and Gen Z were. I am curious as to where they are on the self-care "scale" so to speak. Somewhere between pioneers and natives I assume.

Though I agree that it's "easier" for women today, I don't think it's "easy".
Andrea said…
Thank you, VeraL and Leslie.
Andrea said…
Apologies for all the posts, but yes -- the eldest Gen Xrs are ages 55-59, depending on the start year one is using. I merely wish us to be included in a conversation where multiple generations are being discussed. As for self-care, I suspect it's very difficult for most Xrs; many are sandwiched between taking care of both elderly parents and younger children, as well as maintaining a career. Some of my friends who are my age have young children, some are already grandparents themselves. I was recently caregiver to my terminally ill older sister and mother within a 2-year time frame; both have since passed, and I have begun self-care in earnest -- but self-care during that time was extremely hard.
LauraH said…
I too bought, and wore, Earth shoes! Reading the words brought on a flash into the past, amazing how you can travel back so many years in a second. For me, self care is more about keeping my joints mobile and my muscles strong enough to take an active part in life...and some face serum doesn't hurt either. Meeting friends regularly to catch up on our lives is also self care when you live along as I do.
Duchesse said…
People of Gen X: You were not singled out because the majority of blogs focussed on self care that come in on my feed are •written• by younger generations and they are driving much of the consumption. It's a big thing with Millenials and Z's. It is not that X do not exist, or that they do not engage in self care. If you read para 1 and first sentence in para 2 you will see that I am referring to the •swell of blogs written by the youngers who are driving trends•. They are big consumers, and what they want will be what the market provides.

OK, I accept that the oldest of you are over 50... if you really try you can pass for a Boomer. You are not invisible!
Andrea said…
I wish to be visible by virtue of being in my *own* generation, thank you. I do not wish to try to pass for a Boomer, nor would anyone my age, I suspect.
Lynn said…
My goodness, inter generational conflict on self care! My mother (born 1927) thought self care was her once a week hair appt and her book club. I don't think I thought about self care through the years of college, grad school and work. I had children in my 30's, and I think it was the birthing class teacher who told us that we needed needed to think about ourselves, which, as Vera mentioned, was rather silly, with 6 weeks maternity leave. Self care with grown children is much easier, but I'm not sure what really works. The vast market of products and services just confuses me!
royleen said…
Brilliantly written!

The posts with the most