"Well-considered" in the Passage

Is she fashionaable? No. Is she modern? Only if you take a long view of about seventy-five years. But she is, according to Scott Schuman, "well-considered". 

Photo: Scott Schuman 

Schuman explains his preferred term. referring specifically to elder women in Milan, where he now lives: "Sometimes they’re very fashionable, almost always very stylish but most often I would say they are “well considered”! For me “well considered” is so nice because its the idea that what they are wearing maybe or maybe not be “fashionable” or “stylish” but they have taken the time to consider if it’s right for them. On these women everything is considered; the hair, the shoes, the skirt, the fit, the make-up etc. Maybe the word “effortful” could work also (if it was a real word)."

"Effortful" is indeed, a real word, but the word contains a sense of difficulty, or strain—which takes us into that sad territory called "trying too hard" to achieve an idealized image that is not who they are. 

I think of myself in the early '80s, at work in a skirted suit and heels, and one of those stupid silk bows that was supposed to be the equivalent of a man's tie, fitting in to the corporate code.  At one point I was so miserable in this that I carried, in a gym bag, a pair of Annie Hall-type trousers, flats, and a soft crewneck so I could change after work before taking the streetcar home, because I could not bear that getup for a minute past 5:30 p.m.. When that code loosened a few years later to "business casual", in the canyons of the financial district you could hear the whoosh of a thousand pairs of pantyhose hitting the bins.

Flash forward forty years, and though I no longer need to conform to workplace standards, there are, if not codes, habits of dress to which I adhere. The Milanesa is wearing hers, which differs from mine, yet I imagine we're close to the same age.

Schuman shot another woman, much closer to my own choices:



I realized how easy it is to look at things I'd wear too, but Schuman calls each of these "well considered", meaning, each person took care to dress as she wished to present herself.  By the time one is in the Passage, lets hope we have built a sense of "it's me!" when we consider something new.

Forty years ago, the "me" was a different person, because work demanded that a differently-dressed person show up. This week, on my early-morning walk, I passed a young woman in an eye-catching shorts-and-jacket outfit. I doubt she was going to a corporate workplace, but still, she was going to work.


And this woman, more conservatively dressed (and in hose!) until you notice the shoes:




I found Schuman's "well-considered" a more freeing concept than the edicts of some of the fashion bloggers. He does usually shoot the young and sleek, but regardless of age, means and aesthetic, he looks for people being who they are, and deliberately showing that to the world. 

This is the sweet spot between overthought and carelessness, and though I disagree with his notion that this felicitous quality belongs especially to Milan, I applaud his eye and talent for capturing those highly personal selves, as they move through public life.


 



Comments

Venasque said…
I, too, am more the second woman than the first, although I have aspirations to be the first when I get old (I actually don't think that day will ever come, even though I love and admire the first, truly elegant look, it's just not me). I want to be elegant, my french teacher (in France) says I am, but I never feel so because this Milanese and her ilk are elegance to me.

I see women like that - they remind me of my mother whose dress sense I wanted to emulate when I got older. Unfortunately that day has never come because I live in a different time and space. It's almost impossible to dress like that unless you are of that generation because we are more used to ease and comfort. I'm sure she dresses like that at home, no comfy home pants for her.
Kamchick said…
Loved this post and the photos. All of these ladies, IMO, dress very intentionally, really wear their clothes well and, I would guess, feel amazing as they wear them. For me, personally, I would feel slightly frumpy in the blue ensemble. I would wear brown in place of black with the creamy white pants (that's 'me'), but love the outfit...it's a bit 'edgy'. The other ladies, in Montreal, look amazing in their choices. Too hot here to go and see what Ottawa women are wearing! Stay cool!
Laura J said…
Nicely observed, Venasque, the generation who are able to manage “well considered “ is passing…we are so used to clothes that move with us . Summer uniform: linen shirt and trousers..loose and cool but pulled together with scarf, jewelry, hat
Enjoyed this post!
Bytowner said…
I do love these posts D, as you pull together or share your own wonderful images of people wearing what they wear. Those trousers on the woman from Milan! I think i am too short, but they look great on her and I love her look. I like all of them today, though not all are for me (short-shorts!!). I am having to discover what my style might be as I am retiring in two weeks and have to work out what my day to day might look like. It will not be as big a change as you described with your corporate uniform as i do not work in a corporate environment, but there are still conventions of dress that will no longer apply.
thanks for the wonderful post.
Barbara said…
Wonderful post!
I'm of not one of those "well considered" women. I remember well my childhood in the 1950th's, which were so uncomfortable in clothes and shoes. Wool was itchy and scratchy, coats so heavy and sneakers didn't exist.

I live nearby a japanese community. The women are a bit shorter than me (5.3) but they wear those wide pants with a long shirt and just look great.
Tom said…
I don't know...I find the term well-considered a bit patronizing. I like your intentional better. I also think a different hairstyle and bottom piece would make a very contemporary look--even chic. Not that the woman photographed would go that way. But with my boring short ponytail (too lazy for hair) and some dark pants, I would totally wear the outfit!

Now that I think of it, in Paris, I see lots of women dressed rather like that, converging upon or emerging from Chanel shops. They are, of course, dressed in obviously branded Chanel pieces. The designer pieces--many of the women are top to toe in Chanel--give an aura of extreme chic, even to those with the helmet hair. I guess that shows how programmed I am by status labels!
Duchesse said…
Venasque: That was my thought too, that she is dressed like my mother—yet wholly herself. I sometimes call this the "bug in amber look" but it sounds more negative than I intend. It's someone who has found her look and stays with it, and even in the business districts here I rarely see a woman in a skirt suit anymore—it's dresses and unmatched separates. I would, though. like to see the difference hair that moves would make.

Kamchick: We have the heat too. Lots of women in shorts, skirts and linen trousers.

Laura J: I'd love to see what the suited Milanesa wears in high heat, because they do have it there.

Bytowner: We'll be interested in what changes you make. For about two years I bought things for my old life, still. Forty-five years of buying for work is hard to shake.

Tom: A friend (now retired) made perfect hand-sewn copies of those Chanel suits, with the chains in the jacket hems, the exquisite tweed, the works, sold discreetly by an expensive Toronto boutique. They did not cost much less than Chanel but she would make them in larger sizes, which Chanel did not. (She says that even Chanel's couture clients could not get them made in sizes above US 10.) I've always liked the trousers, jackets/coats and blouses but the classic Chanel suit is so overexposed, I don't thrill to it.

Barbara: I love that Japanese aesthetic and I think anyone can wear it, the loose shirt over the trousers; it's a matter of finding the right proportions so there is ease but you are not swamped. A pair of twenty-something Japanese sisters live in my neighbourhood and I am always deeply appreciative of their style. It is austere, with perfect fit and gorgeous fabric.



Allison said…
As usual reading your posts makes me stop, consider, reread and then think. This post delivers and since your shuttering soon I want to savour the remaining missives. I agree with Venasque (first photo) about comfort and with you about the ‘bug in amber’. Signora was told ( in her day) that ‘this is how we dress’ for church, for dinner, for an outing etc. and she followed the rules. Comfort was not a consideration as I’ll bet she’s wearing a girdle or at the very least convent approved granny panties! As Venasque points out no comfy pants for Signora probably no trousers either. She is of her time and is glorious in her amber but a bug in amber is a fossil which means it will never change…it’s a good lesson though. We can be of our time too but it’s important to move forward and not get stuck in the amber. I hated the idea of wearing wider pants but I purchased a couple of pairs and quite like them for their ease. I don’t think they’ll pass muster during our mucky Ottawa winters as nothing looks so drear as baggy pants stuffed Cossack like into snow boots but then I only wore those twice last winter so who knows? I am keeping an open mind though it might be too late for our Signora. This bug would prefer not to be seen as a dated fossil of a previous era as she crawls through life.
Duchesse said…
Allison: I am glad "bug in amber" resonated with you. Jane in London shared a similar term she knows, "Fossilized Diana". That's the woman who has clung to leggings stuffed into riding boots, piecrust collars, twee florals, that sort of thing. I prefer the Milanesa's classic "ladyperson" ensemble, because she is not trying to look young.
But most of us want to look more current.

re stuffing trousers into boots, I wear ankle-height boots (like Blundstones and the lower-cut models of Icebugs) with ankle length straight-cut trousers or jeans all winter. The trousers sit just at the top of the boot. Longer trousers are ruined by salty slush. Well, so are the boots—but this IS the north. Since I live in the city and never have to climb over a snowbank, this works just fine.

The posts with the most