In New York: The getaway

I spent most of last week in New York, mingling with thousands of sailors in their Summer Whites, because, as they have since the 1980s, the U.S. Navy and Marines send ships into port for Fleet Week, a  public relations exercise. It is not so much the sailors as what they do for the city: burnish a nostalgia that recaptures the mid-century promise of the brownstones, pocket parks and squares. 


And of course, people-watching. Every summer has a signature style; this is the summer of the midi dress or skirt, on women of all ages. It is adaptable—lengths vary from just below the knee to the ankle—segues from work to leisure, and you do not have to be twenty to wear it, unlike the bra-top summer.

I shot these passers-by in the West Village on a warm afternoon.


Left: Her monochromatic navy wafted in the breeze. I saw a great deal of black and navy; summer's swelter has not yet set in.

Centre: This was one of my favourites: the sheer off-white skirt and khaki linen shirt that (I hope) relieves linen-lovers from the pressure of "it must be crisply crease-free". I like linen the way she wears hers, a bit rumpled, as the Italians do.

Left: Another woman in linen, and so well-fitted: a pink print and white trousers.

The two smaller photos are here for contrast. Bottom left: Perhaps the jacket is required office attire, but I find it unbalances the outfit. Top right: An interesting print, though to my eye the neon overpowers all else. Those puffer nylon totes are everywhere, the bargain bag du jour.  

You can see where I was, across from the Jones Road store on Greenwich Ave. This is Bobbi Brown's heavily-promoted new line, so I went in to see the products while Le Duc had an espresso. Have you tried Jones Road? The prices are on the steep side for me (a committed drugstore shopper). The associate applied the vaunted Miracle Balm but it delivered only a ginger-scented, slightly sticky colour wash. I bought a Lippie Stick ($US 28), and would have liked even a tiny sample of the Miracle Cream, to see how it "lived" on me, but none was offered. Apparently you need to believe.

In the hotel's lobby bar, a woman and her companion sipped prosecco and listened to a jazz duo.  I heard her say to another guest, "See you at the party!" I could almost place her dress; there was something familiar about it, yet it looked completely current—so I asked. Aha, Diane von Furstenberg's famous wrap, this time as a python-print midi. I found it online; however, unlike the model, the guest was curvy,  and looked gorgeous in it.


In a completely different register, I dropped by Atelier to see designers not usually sold where I live: Rick Owens, Comme des Garçons and lesser-known makers of that school, as well as the last pieces we'll see from Dries Van Noten. My tastes have settled down since the days when I would splash out for such things (and spend months paying off the bill), but, had this CDG linen blouse been in my size, I might have reverted—it was special.

Tao Comme des Garçcons plaid blouse

I packed light, the boon of a mild-climate trip (and no parties), and felt just fine.   


Clockwise, left to right:
Lily wide-leg jeans; Yoga Jeans
Cotton dress, Kloke
Softstreme high-rise skirt, Lululemon
Larissa cotton shirt, Seasalt; these shirts are twisted after washing to air-dry, like those broomstick skirts. Brilliant for travel. 
Light cotton tee, Amor Lux (OK, a white/navy marinière.) 
"Harvest" tee, trèsnormale
Not shown: Löle "Piper" rain jacket; white leather sneakers, black sandals.

The trip was a last-minute caper driven by a narrow escape from serious injury when a large brick fell from the roof of a construction site and struck my head as I passed by. After first aid (no stitches but a good whack and a gash), a report to the appropriate regulatory agency, and a redemption of air miles, we flew to the spring delights of New York, the riot of heirloom roses and azaleas even more attractive than the sailors.  

My relief seemed to make everything more vivid—flavours, colours, music. Has that ever happened to you? 

On June 25, the Passage shutters for the summer. In the meantime, if you have a choice, please cross the street should you walk past an active construction site. 

 

Comments

Jay said…
Oh my! I'm so glad you weren't badly hurt.
Have a great summer.
Venasque said…
Jeez Duchesse, that was a narrow escape. I'll take your advice from now on.

I did try the new Jones from Bobbi Brown because I had always liked her makeup when she owned the line. I bought the Miracle Balm which purported to give me a dewy glow, but alas not so much. I also am a devoted drug store buyer of skin care, particularly French brands, but not makeup, which I generally buy at Sephora. I do like to try new things, but then I often just return to my tried and true. Ihave learned to keep my expectations low, because those photos of how perfect you are going to look are taken of 20 year olds, who have perfect skin with nothing on it.
LauraH said…
What a shocking thing to happen!! So glad there were no serious injuries but it must have thrown you for quite a loop. A trip to New York sounds like a great way to bounce back. I’m going to check out those sea salt shirts, they sound perfect for me. I haven’t ironed my linen in years😊
Murphy said…
Pretty pictures as always. I love New York in the summer.
Wow, Duchess, that was a close call - it must have been very scary for you !!! A reminder of how fragile we all are
Jane in London said…
Good heavens - what a nasty thing to happen. I'm so glad you managed to escape serious injury, but I bet it was a shock to the system nonetheless.

As always, some choices here that I probably would not have naturally been drawn to, but which I am interested to see when they are set out in a context.

Your photo subjects are each chic in their own way - but what could beat the spare elegance of those summer uniforms...
Tom said…
I love the Kloke dress! I never wear prints but this one is a temptation.

Those pleated midis were all over Paris last summer--also tempting.

Speaking of which (Paris), the bus we took to the Louvre passed a big Dries shop--great windows. I wonder if another shop will be in its place now. We will be there post-Olympics.

Stay safe!

e
Duchesse said…
Jay: A couple more weeks of posts, and thanks! I feel like a cat that used one of my lives.

Venasaque: I looked for reviews of Miracle Balm; it is quite polarizing. Of course we have to try to separate the honest reviews from those who hype anything. That's why I had hoped for a sample.

LauraH: The Larissa shirt works well over a tank or tee, too. You will have to look at the garment measurements (which are accurate) b/c the sizing is British, and also I read reviews which advised women to size up one size. I am so glad I did, my usual would have been too tight. The only thing I don't like (and never have) are those tabs on the arms, but on a print they nearly vanish.

Murphy: Exactly. One second can change everything; I won't forget that.

Jane in London: "I Love a Man in a Uniform"!

Tom: Kloke sizing runs large, in case temptation persists. I know that Dries shop, prime spot.


Leslie said…
I am so glad you are okay, but do we need to find a hard hat for you? Maybe in a blue/white stripe, since it would match a large part of your wardrobe. :) Did you monitor for a concussion? It can be tricky - I had a bad concussion 3 years ago and for months after frequently wondered, am I just really tired? Can I not remember because I’m old? Or is this because I hit [was hit by a brick to] my head? I did not experience vivid senses; just a dullness of all senses, memory and energy. I’ll take your reaction as a good sign.
Re: Miracle Balm, yes, I tried it. It adds a small amount of color and dew, but it fades very quickly. In one ad, Bobbi states she keeps it in her bag to apply throughout the day. Read into that what you will.
Allison said…
Wow that was a close call but taking off to a different locale is just the ticket to relieve the trauma induced ‘what if’s’ at least for me it would be hope it was for you too. Aww the Jones Road controversy… I bought a set of four mini miracle balms $$ and even more $$ because USD. I was prepared to be impressed but was not..I bought one au naturel which has no colour and is salve like, happy hour which is disco glittery, dusty rose (ok but fades) and Flushed which would be great but also fades quickly.The ‘mid life’ models used are tanned and toned so would look great with nothing but Vaseline schmeared on!
There are far better products at lesser price points, I found it sticky and smellingof oil of citronella so perhaps a good anti mosquito product? Glad you picked up a ginger note! I use the au natural as a hair wax to tame hairline frizzies, my grand daughter gets to play with the glittery happy hour and the other two I’ll use until gone. Because it annoys me to just toss them. So disappointed in BB she was my goddess in the early 2000’s
Kamchick said…
Hmmmm....Are you sure you are OK? I'm not usually a worrier, but just be sure. Loved seeing the sites of NYC and glad that you enjoyed that refreshing change after your street incident.

Duchesse said…
Leslie: Love it, a stripy hard hat! See Allison's take on the Miracle Balm too. Feel like I dodged an iffy expense.
I did feel really 'whacked' for 2 days but then this "Hey, I'm alive!" sensory heightening set in. Bobbi's comment is a case of spin, IMO.

Allison: Granddaughter ends up with your glitter balm—there must be a kiddie version of this somewhere for $3! Estée Lauder has owned the Bobbi Brown brand since 1995, and it still seems good, but I stick with a lower-priced mashup of Boots, Revlon and whatever is on sale.

Kamchick: Thank you for the discreet worry. I called TeleHealth, who put me through some diagnostic checklists. If I were living alone (or with someone who wouldn't be worried) would have gone to ER. (We have heard tragic "No, no, I'm fine" stories like Natasha Richardson's.) I am fine now.

Laura J said…
Frightening experience! I’m always looking down for trip hazards at construction sites…Will scan all possibilities now! MIDI dresses are indeed comfortable and elegant. And NYC cures all ills!
Jean S said…
Glad you’re okay!

On Miracle Balm: Hard no. It felt disgusting, like an oil slick. (And my skin tends to be dry.) However, the eyebrow pencil is quite good.

Duchesse said…
Laura J: You are smart. I do look for tripping hazards but skyward.

Jean S: Thanks for the opinion.(The SA only used the slightest bit on one cheek, which I was told to warm n my hand first. But I could not see a difference from one side to another. It seems to me decent eye pencils are not all that hard to find, but I guess Miracles are truly rare.
w1chw1z said…
Ah....New York!!!! An uncle was taken to live in USA as a child. At the end of world war 2,(by now an American citizen and having served in the US army) he was celebrating with the thousands of other service men and women in Times Square when he happened to lock eyes with another serviceman....and there started a love affair that was to last until his death at an old age. (For anyone interested, look up CampbellSoady gallery in Bank Street).So thank you for the photo and the memories that it caused to surface.

I join with others in expressing my concern for your welfare after the brick incident and hope that you experience no lasting adverse effects.
Duchesse said…
w1chw1z: Coup de foudre stories are among very favourite stories. There is a common theme, and yet, such variation. And imagine being in Times Square for that party! I am sure you know the famous Eisenstaedt photo, "V-J Day in Times Square", but for those whoi not, see https://aboutphotography.blog/blog/2020/3/27/v-j-day-in-times-square-by-alfred-eisenstaedt-story-behind-the-photograph

I have very mild vestigial soreness, but the main effect is a firsthand sense that everything can change in a second.
w1chw1z said…
In my dottage I had completely forgotten "that" photo and "that" V-J day party. Of course that was where the two Bills met.

So again, thanks for the memory :)

The posts with the most