A scattering of useful things

Today, useful odds and ends in the window: things you don't know you need till you see them. (All prices in $CDN.)

This post arose thanks to a request for the source of the clasp Sophie of SophieStringsPearls put on my new tiny-akoya necklace. It's the 4.5mm magnetic 14k clasp from MadeofMetal; price, $37.

A reminder that this size is good for lightweight pieces only.

Linen cord for your pendant

A cord of Irish linen (your choice of many colours and lengths) finished with a hook and eye clasp: perfect for that pendant you always wanted to wear, but never bought a chain, or you want a change from a metal chain. From Etsy seller iwearjewels; price for a length from 16 to 21 inches from $28; longer lengths available by special order.

Top: Some of the linen colours; bottom, view of clasp.


Hand-printed bandanna

A cotton bandanna keeps sun off your neck, holds your hair back, elevates a t-shirt. The price for some is crazily high, but this pretty 21in. square is well worth $CDN 28 (plus shipping); I can vouch for its durability and quality.

 

The Still Life print by Bloomingprint on Etsy also makes a charming gift.  

You call that clean?

My neighbour Lucie introduced me to Jude's Miracle Cloth and it is truly magic for cleaning glass, stainless steel and surfaces like stovetops. The cloth eliminates the need for most cleaning products and paper towels. Wet it, wring and use; it will dry streak-free and Bob's your gleaming uncle. It's washable, too. 

The link is to Canadian Tire but you can also find the cloths (in various quantities) on Amazon, among other sellers. Price, about $15 for two cloths.

Hey Joe: Mount Hagen Organic Fairtrade Single-Serve Instant Coffee

There are moments when instant lives to serve: you're staying somewhere where the hosts do not drink coffee, you're up before everyone else, or the nearest good shop is a ways away. For these infrequent  but fraught moments, tuck a few of these packets in your toiletries kit. This brand is reliably good and not as pricey as some that aren't as flavourful.


Price, $25 for a 20-pack box, on Amazon or through select grocers.


A transformative tote

"Landscape" Notabag

The Notabag is similar to those in-a-pouch carry bags we stuff in our handbags, but can be worn as a shoulder tote or backpack. It will hold up to 10kg (the handles are thicker than cheap bags), is washable, and comes in various sizes and colours. It just may become your tote of choice! Price from Notabag, €27.50. 


Silicone Airtag case

Travelling with a friend, I watched her fish in her handbag to find her airtag. She needed a visible case, and silicon makes sense, because it will absorb some whacks without cracking. The Svanove case  (keyring included) comes in many colours; about $10 on Amazon.



Some of the most useful things are on the edges of one's vision but it takes a defining event like sitting on a blueberry to make you aware you should keep a fresh Tide Stick handy.

Other useful things secured their status years ago, so you make sure you have 'your' gel pen, and maybe a spare, around at all times.  The Passage thrives on tips and sources, so if you have useful-thing recommendations, please share them.

Comments

Laura J said…
Thanks for these! I have a nice collection of cotton bandanas, including a fairly large one from Burnley and Trowbridge
https://burnleyandtrowbridge.com/collections/handkerchiefs-shawls, as well as a couple from thrift stores. Perfect for hot summer, dampen and put around your neck.
There’s so much interest in luggage trackers..I’m so bored of adding even more tech stuff..maybe that shows my age 🤷🏻‍♀️
Duchesse said…
Laura J: The trackers can be incredibly useful, and not just for luggage. A friend keeps a spare set of house keys for her friend. Last week, friend came by in a panic, she lost her keys, and could she have the spare set? Friend had put the keys "somewhere" for safekeeping but could not find. The friend, her mother and her infant waited hours for a locksmith. No fun for anyone. Friend told me, "I resisted getting an AirTag because, you know, 'the surveillance state', but now I am ordering two of these." Thank you for the link to the beautiful textiles.
LauraH said…
Thanks for all the sources, I can make good use of most of these. Many years ago I bought two pretty bandanas from REI, perfect for travel, they have so many uses - washcloth, headscarf, neck scarf, sleeping mask, pillow cover, handkerchief, etc. Coincidentally I just bought an AirTag and will be trying it out on an upcoming trip.
Leslie M said…
These types of posts are so helpful.
My contributions include an orbit clasp on Etsy. I believe you are the one who mentioned how useful these are for attaching a pendant to a necklace, yet they are so hard to find. Well, Etsy has 1 source that I am aware of. Mine arrived a few weeks ago and I will restring some pearls that are leftover from a Sarah reno from years ago.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PatriciaSaabDesigns

I am very prone to sitting on blueberries, too, but also seem to drip or drop on the front of my blouse with alarming regularity. A Tide stick is mandatory. I have also found Chateau Spill, Red Wine Stain Remover to be useful in all sorts of situations. It even removed a Sriracha stain from a white granite countertop. I was desperate, so tried it as a last resort and it worked!

Lastly, in addition to a Tide stick, I always carry a Benadryl Itch Relief Stick. Perfect for bug bites or any other itch that occurs while one is out and about, hiking in Costa Rica, or whatever.

A question for you Duchesse. You once mentioned an Etsy seller of good quality glass and gemstone beads. I have scoured the blog but can't find the reference. The beads resembled some that I saw in a couple of necklaces strung by Sarah. Can you recall?

Duchesse said…
LauraH: The bandanna I showed is made in Toronto!

Leslie M: Pattye Saab is a "star" not only on Etsy but in the pearl world too. I love orbit clasps though the quality varies. I know Sarah has had issues with quality going up and down. Pattye also sells excellent synthetic stringing thread that is brilliant for wear.

I don't know who that seller was, either, but Carolyn Ehret (Druzydesign1 on Etsy) sells beautiful gemstone beads, and is a friendly and knowledgeable to work with if you have a special order or request. She is also on eBay (DruzyDesign), one of the very few reputable, trusted pearl sellers there. In fact the only eBay one I can recommend knowing the buyer will have an honest transaction. Or on Etsy. Rae Pugh Designs. The glass beads I like I think were from BashaBeads but they seem to have left Etsy. Show us what you make!
Duchesse said…
LauraH: The bandanna I showed is made in Toronto!

Leslie M: Pattye Saab is a "star" not only on Etsy but in the pearl world too. I love orbit clasps though the quality varies. I know Sarah has had issues with quality going up and down. Pattye also sells excellent synthetic stringing thread that is brilliant for wear.

I don't know who that seller was, either, but Carolyn Ehret (Druzydesign1 on Etsy) sells beautiful gemstone beads, and is a friendly and knowledgeable to work with if you have a special order or request. She is also on eBay (DruzyDesign), one of the very few reputable, trusted pearl sellers there. Or on Etsy. Rae Pugh Designs. The glass beads I like I think were from BashaBeads but they seem to have left Etsy. Show us what you make!

Sarah has her sources for beads such as the tourmalines she loves to use; often hers are a decade or more old, from her stash. You can also contact her for beads.
Jane in London said…
What a varied and interesting miscellany you have put together for us! That linen cord looks fabulous, and it's really nice to see a sophisticated cotton bandana design that doesn't scream "cowboy".
Tom said…
Although the least beautiful, the coffee sticks have saved me from many a caffeine meltdown. Frugal note--pretty good ones available in Japan for only about $2.00 for 10! In Europe, Nescafe is a good brand and, in fact, cafes in Eastern Europe charge extra for Nescafe instant! eva
Martina said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Duchesse said…
Martina: I am sorry! Your comment was mistakenly deleted because it was in my comments next to a chronic spammer's. If you wish, please redo it and I promise to be careful.

eva: Patti Smith is a big Nescafé fan, too; she knows about being on the road and finding coffee.

Jane in London: I'm always on the lookout for good cotton scarves, because rain and snow damage silk. Seasalt also make good cotton bandannas, which they call scarves.
Laura J said…
I carry my favourite herbal tea as those on offer are often stale or peppermint…not a fave
Duchesse said…
I accidentally deleted Martina's comment; here it is:

I bought an AirTag and a holder for our Christmas grab this year…it was a huge hit, so now I have to get a couple for myself.
Allison said…
I can second those Jude’s cloths although there is a slightly less $$ dupe available on Amazon that comes in larger multiples. I own both and can’t tell a difference. They are amazing for spiffing up a quartz counter top and stainless steel appliance with just water! Just remember to not use fabric softener when laundering. I keep one in each bath to do a quick refresh of counters and spotty faucets. Air tags are now being placed in cars to track if stolen! Big big issue in Ottawa these days but would be handy tracking a misplaced vehicle in a parking lot/tower too. Love the magnetic clasp especially to replace those darned hook types usually found on pearl necklaces. Planning on some jewelry renovation this year and will keep that in mind.
Duchesse said…
Allison: Yes, they make vehicle theft harder. Anyone depending on them for this ought to read about how Air Tags operate; in short, they use location data transmitted via Bluetooth and 'passed along' by Apple network users (in the background). They also rely on the FindMy network to augment their location ID. I If the lost thing is in a place with no or unreliable cell phone connection (e.g. a container ship) one is pretty much SOL but most of the time, the connectivity provided by millions of iphone users will do the job.

Would you be willing to share the dupe product name?
Martina said…
I love the idea of the AirTag in a car…I couldn’t find mine last week after a delayed flight, at 1:30a I would have does for an AirTag. Off to order a couple!
royleen said…
Duchesse, thank you so much for the link to the magnetic clasp! You have made my day!

The posts with the most