2023 Spending Report: Stars and Dogs

Welcome to you, and welcome, 2024! We usually fling open the Passage with a pearl post, but I have something en train, and the package arrives tomorrow, so we return with another classic, the annual clothes/accessories spending review.

Judging from the stats, women are interested in my buying habits, especially mistakes. Laugh at my expense, honeybunches! Buying, as they say, is crying.

Let's get it over with: Dogs

Naadam, dammit

Shown, a similar Naadam style; mine has thinner stripes:


During a sale, I bought a slouchy Naadam black-and-natural striped cashmere sweater. I thought it would be a pleasing change from solids, but the palette is not mine, though I like it on others. In a fit of indecision, I missed the return window.  Naadam, known for their sustainable sourcing, is a company to support, but I learned my colour lesson... again.


Pearl and coral necklace

I ordered a baroque CFW pearl and coral-bead necklace from a Canadian jeweller's site. However, the fabrication on this piece was not as refined as I wished. In Ottawa last fall, I was able to see some of Soma Mo's earrings at L.M. Pai Gallery, both wearable and graceful. This particular necklace was not ideally finished, and I decided to return it.

I would order from the site again if something caught my eye; her return policy allows a full refund when the return is initiated within seven days of delivery.

Stars

A Star delivers versatility, superior quality and aesthetic purr.  It's not about the price—socks that fit perfectly and hold up can be a Star. 

Elevated earrings

You've seen the renovated Tahitians; this year's project was similar: new 18k handmade tops for a gift of thirty years ago, ruby earrings made by Susan Cockburn (Nicolaou), then a Toronto jeweller. 

I had not worn them for at least a decade, because the thin white gold wires bent easily; I didn't want to lose one. (I lost two earrings last winter, due to pulling off hats and scarves. I now add an extra back to all posts and hooks, but that is an awkward fix on these French wires.) 

Original earrings

Also, they drooped, because the wires offered no support. However, I was not willing to divest the glowing Thai rubies chosen by the gem-loving Le Duc. 

The new post construction offers that support, and each earring curves slightly toward the face for a subtle detail. They were made by Pilar Agueci, and I was again thrilled with both her design and smithing skills. I've worn these more since the reno than in the preceding twenty years. (Pilar has a sale on now till January 4.)

Renovated earrings


Sexy sapphires

Gwen of perfumeniche and I share abiding admiration for the Toronto jewellers Pam Chandler and Don Collins of Artworks Gallery, so dropped in together.

When I tried on their tiny (about 14mm) sapphire-studded snake, I knew it would zhuzh my generic earrings such as tube hoops, but mostly, I was snake-charmed by its insouciance.


I'm having fun wearing these sparkly sapphires—an example of how cut shines forth even in 2mm stones.

Spotty topper

Those two purchases dented my kitty, but then my girlfriend Marina and I dropped into The Clothes Secret, a bustling consignment boutique in Ottawa. I found a lightweight wool-blend topper (by American Vintage, a French brand). Transitional coats have a short run in our northern city, so when I can find secondhand in perfect shape, it comes home.


It's a change from wintry solids, and washable!  

Overall grade: B

Gah! That sweater sunk my longed-for A, but so did the pearl necklace.  

I'm more confident about buying jewellery than anything else, but it is difficult to assess fabrication when one orders online. I wish I had asked for photos from various angles.

The lesson of 2023 was to 'shop my jewellery box', and I urge you to do the same.  The price of gold has increased by over 71% in the past decade. The price of silver has climbed about 22% in the past ten years—silver is a more volatile market—but it may still be worth renovating silver pieces versus replacement. 

And, renos are usually gentler on the environment, because you are recycling existing material. I like to work with jewellers who apply strict standards for their suppliers, as those mentioned here do, but most of all, I like wearing a new version of a romantic gift.

 







Comments

LauraH said…
Your Spending Reports are always enjoyable and educational. Kind of reassuring to know I'm not alone in repeat mistakes:-)

I didn't buy much in 2023 as my closet is more than full. After resisting the look for a while. two pairs of above-the-ankle linen pants were winners for me, very happy with them.

Love those sparkly sapphire snakes and your rubies are gorgeous!
Jane in London said…
Hugely enjoyable post. What a shame about the sweater - t

he colours would have been perfect for me, lol! The necklace looked so beautiful and how disappointing that it let itself down in the execution. It must have been a wrench to have to send it back, but at least you steeled yourself to do it quickly. I think we've all been in that situation where we try to come to some sort of accommodation with an item that's not quite right, fooling ourselves that perhaps it will be ok in time, but it never is. My sister is always ruthless if it's not exactly right, but I have been known to hesitate too long...

The rubies are beautiful, and how satisfying to feel enthusiastic again about wearing them. I got jewellery for Christmas from my daughter and son in law: a pendant large baroque pearl with a red jade bead above it, on a slender silver snake link chain. It is exactly to my taste and the length is just right for the v-neck sweaters I often wear, so I was very happy!

Do you remember I mentioned to you that I was going to ask my husband for a new pair of hiking boots for Christmas? Well, that request somehow evolved into asking for a black edge to edge cardigan/jacket from Maison Cashmere... ;) I still have no hiking boots and if we're asked to the country any time soon I shall have to walk in my wellies!
Kamchick said…
Tell us about rubies, please. I had a pair of tiny ruby stud earrings - lost one. Miss wearing them. I always wonder ... some rubies are truly deep warm red..others have a cooler blue-red colour. What makes that difference? Yours are truly gorgeous. Happy New Year!
Laura J said…
Stars and dogs always a useful post. I’ve become frustrated with 2 online purchases which were real duds…so have casually promised myself to buy nothing for as long as I can…although I’ll still browse my favourite vintage store…lol
Duchesse said…
Kamchick: Rubies can be almost any shade of red (the mineral chromium in rubies causes this range) from deepest red to light pink, and from orangey red to blue-red. Pink rubies are called pink sapphire, because sapphire is the same mineral as ruby: both are corundum—but sapphires contain no chromium.

The most valuable rubies are pure, vibrant red; noticeable orange and violet overtones less so. The slightly orangey "ruby" may actually be gem-quality spinel, and in the days before microscopy, the two were regularly confused. King Charles' Imperial Crown contains a 179 ct gem called "The Black Prince's Ruby", but it is in fact spinel. Gem quality spinels are not cheap, but less than rubies, so can be a fantastic choice, but they are softer so avoid them in a ring. Have a look at these, easy to think they are rubies:
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/earrings/stud-earrings/natural-vivid-red-spinel-double-halo-diamond-oval-stud-earrings-glows/id-j_12309022/


Laura J: There are duds, and then there are ""good but not good for me". But I still order my staples like jeans or bras online, because I stick with a model or a brand that fits me (nearly always.)

Jane in London: Ohhh, I would like to see that pendant, sounds gorgeous. And, I would take the cardigan as a gift and perhaps search for boots in the post-holiday sales.

LauraH: Pam and Don rock... and say hello.

The posts with the most